I haven't really tried healing in FFXIV yet. I suppose I can relate though - in other MMO's I wouldn't dare try and play a tank yet in FFXIV I quite enjoy it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I decided to level an alt! I'm at the 'suddenly subligar' phase of low level gear now.
    Me too! Actually, I wanted to see the MSQ from a different city state beginning... but uhh.. I love my pirates too much so. Hmm. 'Til the sea swallows all' indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Argh, just did Ex roulette and noticed that my Eso is now at 1950/2000 and I still don't know which one to gear up first. ;-;
    The prettiest armor set first, of course! XD
    Last edited by arisoh; 2015-08-19 at 01:09 PM.

I'm saving up for the PLD chest piece next. I've got my sword and shield but I didn't cap the tomes last week so I'll have to wait until next week before I can get it. Though I should be able to get one of the cheaper pieces then as well.

Are there any guides to power leveling crafting? I leveled up goldsmithing pretty efficiently but leathercrafting is a little bit problematic, one of the ingredients for a type of leather around level 15 seems to not be gathered much and no vendor sells it. I had to go back to hard leather recipies and just mass churn them out to get past that step.
    I wanted to set my own materia in my weapon for the monk fist weapon relic at 50, a guide told me I needed level 19 crafting to set my own materia but the process now tells me I have to be level 50. :/

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you have to be the same level as the equipment you're melding materia to in the correct crafting class. As for crafting leveling guides, most (if not all) will simply tell you to turn in HQ items on the leves that give the most experience. Without leve allowances it gets a lot slower and more expensive.

Your daily Grand Company supply missions and the ixali beast tribe dailies help a lot with leveling crafting classes as well.
    Last edited by Cattleya; 2015-08-19 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    Yeah, you have to be the same level as the equipment you're melding materia to in the correct crafting class. As for crafting leveling guides, most (if not all) will simply tell you to turn in HQ items on the leves that give the most experience. Without leve allowances it gets a lot slower and more expensive.

Your daily Grand Company supply missions and the ixali beast tribe dailies help a lot with leveling crafting classes as well.
    I Havent tried any of those, thanks for the tips!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Are there any guides to power leveling crafting? I leveled up goldsmithing pretty efficiently but leathercrafting is a little bit problematic, one of the ingredients for a type of leather around level 15 seems to not be gathered much and no vendor sells it. I had to go back to hard leather recipies and just mass churn them out to get past that step.
    I wanted to set my own materia in my weapon for the monk fist weapon relic at 50, a guide told me I needed level 19 crafting to set my own materia but the process now tells me I have to be level 50. :/
    If you're talking about the Alexandrite step, you don't need any crafting class to meld it. It is completely separate melding system from the crafting. Or er are you talking about the initial step which requires a melded item?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    If you're talking about the Alexandrite step, you don't need any crafting class to meld it. It is completely separate melding system from the crafting. Or er are you talking about the initial step which requires a melded item?
    I need to hand in a cesti with 2 savage III materia in it to continue on my monk artifact quest. I know that as I get on in the next expansion they will be replaced by I want the relic fists now because they look cool and are still an upgrade.

15+ Year Old Account
    I need to hand in a cesti with 2 savage III materia in it to continue on my monk artifact quest. I know that as I get on in the next expansion they will be replaced by I want the relic fists now because they look cool and are still an upgrade.
    depending on server, it might just be cheaper to buy 2 savage III and have someone meld it for you rather than level up crafting. it'll be quicker too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    depending on server, it might just be cheaper to buy 2 savage III and have someone meld it for you rather than level up crafting. it'll be quicker too.
    Yeah I had hoped to do it myself as a guide said I needed to be 19 to meld the materia but didn't mention I had to have 50 to do it to those cesti, after I had invested time and money into 19.

Man lag in this game is serious...

Yay, 500 player commendations! I've been getting a lot more of them ever since I made the switch from DRG to PLD.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Yay, 500 player commendations! I've been getting a lot more of them ever since I made the switch from DRG to PLD.
    Good night ladies and gentelmen, dont forget to tip your tank and healer! Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

My only problem with the commendation system is that if the person splits too quickly you can't give them a commendation, it removes them from the list of commendable players. In about 60% of my dungeons the people I want to commendate are gone before I can escape key the cut scene and reload and my computer runs on high with no lag.

- - - Updated - - -

Side question, is there a way to turn off everyone elses special effects? In full parties the explosions of light and action bursts makes it kind of hard to focus.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Side question, is there a way to turn off everyone elses special effects? In full parties the explosions of light and action bursts makes it kind of hard to focus.
    I think you can turn party effects down, but maybe that was just audio. Someone will probably chime in before I get home, but if not I'll try to look. I always try to turn others down b/c it just creates visual noise. In this game it is really bad.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    You can. It's like, yourself, party, and non party members as choices you can have on all, minimal or no effects. Somewhere in the settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Also, since I click rarely used spells I'd LOVE an option to hide tooltips when infight!
    Clicker, kill it with fire!

Most damage in FFXIV I found is mostly predictable. Only experience mainly is T1-5, Alexander and the trials so I don't know about the other Bahamuts.
    If you pay attention, you'll know when the next hit tank buster is going to be, when the next raid wide aoe, and so on. This lends itself more to proactive healing than reactive healing. Of course this is provided that people don't derp it up and take more damage than necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Argh, just did Ex roulette and noticed that my Eso is now at 1950/2000 and I still don't know which one to gear up first. ;-;
    yep that is the issue I have - BLM weapon is not much of an upgrade over the i180 due to stat swap (crit>det,) and I'm also waiting to hear info on the relic (aka whether or not AF2 eso weapon is the base...probably not but you never know.) BLM armor set is FUGLY so that is out...and my next job is warrior which also has a FUGLY armor set soooo yeah, I'm leaning towards the i200 axe for warrior. Wish I had a summoner instead I would have already bought the skirt MY next (next) job is bard but that is only 32 - leveling it for the AF2 pants...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, healing in FF is pretty much like being a DPS most of the time anyway, since that's what you spend a ton of your time doing. Right up until the tank is suddenly at 40% HP out of nowhere, that is.
    I'd love for there to be more "proactive healing" but there really isn't a lot of it in-game.
    There's usually an indication to when those happen. A long cast (well, 2-3s sometimes 5s+). Most of it is knowledge based or boss casts. Easy way is just set the boss as focus.
    There's rotations that bosses do though that you pretty much have to have knowledge or recognize the pattern. The one that's probably extremely spontaneous that I can think of is King Moogle Extreme fight.
    Most tank busters are extremely predictable.

This of course is the assumption that players aren't derp and sitting in things they're not supposed to.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2015-08-19 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I have to say that I really don't understand most of this.

In regards to #2: All the progression fights I did in WoW had very punishing one-shot or "raid wipes if you goof" mechanics as well, and if you were actually on progression, those deaths often meant a wipe anyway. I'm not sure it's fair to claim one game is more "punishing" than another.

On #3, I'm totally lost. FFXIV rotations are just that - strict rotations generally. You always know what your next button will be, and the one after that, and the one five, ten, twenty globals later. Almost no classes have procs to pay attention to or even a resource to (meaningfully) work around.

Compare Ret Paladin and Warrior for a moment. (They're...kinda close mechanically. Kinda. And Warrior is a really, really well-made class in FFXIV) Imagine if Warrior had a talent similar to Divine Purpose that said, "Your Inner Beast, Steel Cyclone and Fell Cleave abilities have a 25% chance to make your next Inner Beast, Steel Cyclone or Fell Cleave cost no Wrath/Abandon."

You'd be amazed...First kills of really tough fights don't take 500 pulls for no reason.
    Not quite sure how you can say all progression fights. Hit by malleable Goo on Putricide? You don't die. You also don't die for standing in puddle for 2 seconds (you do in A1S and it slows you), takes longer. Touching a slag bomb on blackhand doesn't kill you, sure the devastation afterwards may, but personals + externals (or the 50%+ of the classes who can outright nullify their mistake) can recover. Got hit by a tornado on al akir? Don't worry doesn't kill you, sure hurts the DPS check, but not a guaranteed wipe. Miss an interrupt on oregorger? No big deal.

In Savage? Get hit by Laser you're dead. Get hit by the goo, if you're not topped off you're dead, fail just one missile? Wipe. Boss stands near other boss for even just 3-4 seconds too long, A wipe. Get hit by bomb in A2S, yep. you're dead. Walker misses his stun, yep not meeting that dps check.

Rotations are much more involved due to significantly more buttons used per rotation and on average 3-5x as many hard cooldowns required to maintain, some of which have extremely punishing side effects (b4b). Not to mention some classes now have buffs that require very precise execution to manage else you suffer significant dps losses.

Procs are one thing the game could theoretically use more of, but i think it's plenty involved as it is. As a career Ret, I PRAY to god no one ever gets stuck with a rendition of divine purpose. Gating DPS behind hard RNG was not fun for me at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Clicker, kill it with fire!
    Guess you're the type that binds everything, eh?
    I only bind core abilities that I use more often than every 30s.
    The rest is deemed situational. With a 2.5s GCD, clicking is way more than sufficient.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Guess you're the type that binds everything, eh?
    I only bind core abilities that I use more often than every 30s.
    The rest is deemed situational. With a 2.5s GCD, clicking is way more than sufficient.
    Actually no. I was just joking. Don't have enough buttons on the keyboard when I was playing WoW/EQ2 so there were clicks for long CDs. Not really such thing as clicking when playing on a controller.