Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    How "good" is the gear recommendations the game provides using the character button? So far I have been using it and when it says replace this piece of armor or weapon with this I just go ahead with it. It probably isn't a big deal unless I am min/maxing it (which I'm not).

Edit: And I just hit 50 and I'm about to enter the last two dungeons/8-mans in the MSQ. But I read that Square made it mandatory for everyone to view the cutscenes so that new people don't feel like they have to skip them. Does this make it worse for finding a group (people leaving) if they know they will have to sit through the cutscenes every time they repeat the dungeon?
    i've been using it constantly when swapping between jobs and it always seem to put the right gear in place... probably helps that there's gear levels and job restrictions on gear.

as for those dungeons i'm guessing they're part of the MSQ roulette so they pretty much hand you tons of currency for gearing so they'll always be lucrative for people to join. even if it's a lowbie dungeon i've rarerly encountered anyone getting snippy over someone watching the cinematics.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

How "good" is the gear recommendations the game provides using the character button? So far I have been using it and when it says replace this piece of armor or weapon with this I just go ahead with it. It probably isn't a big deal unless I am min/maxing it (which I'm not).

Edit: And I just hit 50 and I'm about to enter the last two dungeons/8-mans in the MSQ. But I read that Square made it mandatory for everyone to view the cutscenes so that new people don't feel like they have to skip them. Does this make it worse for finding a group (people leaving) if they know they will have to sit through the cutscenes every time they repeat the dungeon?
    The recommendation button is useful. Use it and don't worry about it. The only time you really min max gear is at max level because of side stats between similar item level pieces.

I think that, at the very tip top level, penta-melded crafted gear is better than higher item tomestone gear, and the recommendations won't take that into account. But by and large, the gear recommendation is correct. FFXIV is solidly in the "higher item level is better" category of gearing.

Square also massively increased the rewards. Minute for minute, I think it gives the most XP/rewards of any of the roulettes. So it's pretty much a wash. No one leaves the roulette in the middle (barring an emergency). If people sign up for it, they know what they're getting into, and they stay to the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    I think that, at the very tip top level, penta-melded crafted gear is better than higher item tomestone gear, and the recommendations won't take that into account. But by and large, the gear recommendation is correct. FFXIV is solidly in the "higher item level is better" category of gearing.
    It can be but it comes down to secondary stats and what your class wants.
    If all secondaries are equal it evens itself out b/c of the increased main stat.

In savage, the extra vit can also give you a bit more breathing room, so take that into account too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it just equips the highest ilvl gear. Does not take into any other consideration other than that as far as I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    In savage, the extra vit can also give you a bit more breathing room, so take that into account too.
    No more vit materias though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Are you SURE about that?

[IMG]https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/external/VbPbZn1KcNUXeceEGbGRXtfw7Sbvv0Zac4j9KUk2SpI/https/image.prntscr.com/image/vgxeBlQuTsmFL7mgUlkEbg.png[IMG]

(Just a funny example, not really disagreeing)
    Ah, I'd assume it's due to it being level 71 for that suggestion which ends up having a completely different scaling due to the expansion. So may not be entirely ilvl when leveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, made 8 digits worth of profits off of the first day of new crafted stuff being out. (About 25 million) Wish I had prepared more, but still have some stuff to sell. Folks that prepared made 100 million+, I'm sure.

Dying down a lot now, of course. The initial rush was nuts, though.

Yay.
    It's always like that. First day of new patch crafters make absolute shiton of gil, and still lasts about the entire week, albeit not as much...and then crafters die out :P

My worries about both end dungeons were unfounded it seems. Both in Castrum M and Prae the tanks picked up every mob between boss/checkpoints and didn't even flinch. If it wasn't for cutscenes we would have been done in about 10-15 minutes each.

got e1s down. pretty fun fight for a 1st floor boss.

Higher item level is not always entirely true depending on the class. I mean sure if its like a huge difference yeah. I'd rather take a 430 piece on my RDM than a 440 piece that has the main secondary stat as spell speed. The same was true for BRD back in SB with crit gear.

15+ Year Old Account
    Recommended gear does more than just look at highest ilvl, it looks at main stat as well. Which is why it can be a bit awkward for tanks at low levels (a piece of disciple of war having higher vit than your current gear can and does get recommended since that's a tank's main stat) Once you get to 50+ tho, usually its fine.

Ran into this today while running my duty roulettes. You may not like it but this is what perfection looks like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    No more vit materias though.
    I was referring to more vitality on a higher ilvl item.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello Folks.

So as plenty of Warcraft players i picked up FF Online, and after 1st shock-contact with jrpg vibe, im slowly getting into it (or rather learning to ignore all bunny ears, small hamster ppl, funny sounding names like Limsa Lominsa or Fufulupa xD etc ), got question about class. I picked up pugilist since i heard they are one of the faster classes gameplay-wise in FF, but can i only play them as a DPS ? Or some later "class-morph" will grant me ability to go Healer/Tank ?

Quote Originally Posted by Felarion View Post
    Hello Folks.

So as plenty of Warcraft players i picked up FF Online, and after 1st shock-contact with jrpg vibe, im slowly getting into it (or rather learning to ignore all bunny ears, small hamster ppl, funny sounding names like Limsa Lominsa or Fufulupa xD etc ), got question about class. I picked up pugilist since i heard they are one of the faster classes gameplay-wise in FF, but can i only play them as a DPS ? Or some later "class-morph" will grant me ability to go Healer/Tank ?
    The classes/jobs will always stay the same role. The only sort of exception to this is Arcanist. At 30 when most classes unlock the job that they evolve into, Arcanists have TWO jobs to unlock. Summoner (DPS) and Scholar (Healer).

A Pugilist will become a Monk at 30 and remain a DPS role. Basically if you want to change roles you change jobs, which in FFXIV, is easy enough since you can be everything on the same character.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    If only I knew. Poor uptime, wrong cool down usage, poor execution of the rotation, who knows? And I'm on Aether I'm afraid. I don't have any passes either. Meh, maybe I'm playing the wrong job(s).
    Ah damn, I'm sorry - maybe someone else here will chime in and help on Aether.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    got e1s down. pretty fun fight for a 1st floor boss.
    I'm jealous. My buddy roped me into his static and we haven't even gotten to enrage in a full lockout. Kinda tilted over it because they don't learn as quickly as I do. I usually clear the first 2 floors in PUGs the first week, but it looks like we might struggle to get the first down this week.

The sad part is we have 2 bomb ass healers, myself, and 2 good DPS, it's just the other 3 are holding us back a bit, not even numbers wise (which is an issue, but manageable), but they're just learning mechanics so fucking slowly or are so inconsistent it's frustrating.

Hello Folks.

In your case, secondary classes after you hit lvl 10 on beginning classes

- Tank starter classes : gladiator (Job:Paladin), marauder (Job:Warrior)

- Healer starter classes : conjurer (Job:White Mage), lvl 30+: Arcanist (Job:Scholar)

- physical melee starter classes : lancer (Jobragoon), pugilist (Job:Monk) , rogue (Job:Ninja)

- phyiscal range starter classes : archer (Job:Bard)

- magic starter classes : Thaumaturge : (Job:Black Mage) , Arcanist (Job:Summoner)

Need to level the appropriate "classes" to do Healer and Tank

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Job
    Last edited by Novaice; 2019-08-01 at 02:03 PM.

Hello Folks.

1. You'll get used to the viera. They're new, so we're all adjusting, but I've seen some look pretty badass in armor sets.
    2. small hamster people is infinitely better than "potato" and I'm stealing it for guild night tonight.
    3. Funny sounding names you will definitely get used to. Keep in mind Fufulupa etc actually have lore behind the naming conventions if you care to look into that. Location names won't throw you much save one here and there. You've got Limsa Lominsa, Ul'dah, and Gridania as the main cities, sure, but you'll have Horizon, Bent Branch (in a forest), etc. I mean, wtf is a Mulgore, Astranaar, or a Lordaeron anyway? And same for any other fantasy world, really.

As others have noted, each job will only be one role. Nothing has multiple specs like WoW. The trade off is that you can level everything on one character, so any loot you get can be useful for you. No "Oh man, the thing I wanted on my tank dropped while I was on my healer and it's BoP" situations.

Arcanist starts as a bit of a healer with a little dps and will unlock two separate jobs - Summoner for magic DPS and Scholar for Healing. Switching between them is the same as other jobs, you just change what weapon you have equipped and it will swap you to either one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Ah damn, I'm sorry - maybe someone else here will chime in and help on Aether.

I'm jealous. My buddy roped me into his static and we haven't even gotten to enrage in a full lockout. Kinda tilted over it because they don't learn as quickly as I do. I usually clear the first 2 floors in PUGs the first week, but it looks like we might struggle to get the first down this week.

The sad part is we have 2 bomb ass healers, myself, and 2 good DPS, it's just the other 3 are holding us back a bit, not even numbers wise (which is an issue, but manageable), but they're just learning mechanics so fucking slowly or are so inconsistent it's frustrating.
    My FCs first static attempt at it is Saturday, my body is so ready.

10+ Year Old Account
    Had our first run-in with Eden savage 1 today.
    Phew that's quite an AoE heal fest. Got him down to around 50% before his laser orgy roasted us.