Decided I wanted to get a pretty glowing weapon. Eureka is out of the question given its infamy, and when I walked in there was barely 20 people in the menu. Walked back out. According to the internet, the HW and ARR weapons are supposed to be easier to obtain. Looked through the designs, thought that the Ninja Yoshimitsu Animus and Novus blades looked cool.

Welp, it's a pain in the ass. For the Atma stage, you have to collect 12 different atma crystals. Each crystal supposedly has a 25% chance to drop from fates in its respective zone. Welp, I call bollocks on that. Spent an hour in Upper La Noscea and another hour in Western Thanalan farming FATEs nonstop. Took 20 FATEs in each zone for the crystal to finally drop. Exhausting, but alright, hard part is done, right?

Well, no. For the Zodiac stage, you have to complete nine books, similar to Khloe's weekly logbook. You can only work on one book at a time. In each book, you must slay specific enemies in specific zones, which is already a couple hours of hunting right there. Then you have to queue for and complete three specific dungeons (so upwards of 30 minutes in queue, and then another 15-30 minutes in the actual dungeon itself). Then you have to complete specific FATEs, which are on spawn timers outside of your control. Then you have to do guildleves... that last part is actually pretty easy, I guess. But you have to go through this process eight more times, just to complete this stage.

It's not difficult, just incredibly tedious. I have no motivation to do this again for any other relic weapon, and I'm thinking I'll stop once I complete the Novus version. The completed Zeta weapon looks ridiculous, but at that points perhaps I mind as well go for it and grab the achievement. I guess this is supposed to be a timesink for people who really don't care? You'd think people would prefer to do something actually enjoyable, but I can't see why people would choose to dedicate a dozen hours to this per weapon over having fun, like playing leveling up classes, progressing through Beast tribe reputations, or playing the Gold Saucer.

I'm curious as to what the ShB relic weapon quest gimmick will be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    It's not difficult, just incredibly tedious.
    Relic weapons in a nutshell.
    I hope they don't do any more of them.

Keep in mind though, that originally the grind was spread out over 2 years. There were no nerfs, no 100% drop rates etc.

You think 20 Fates is rough? Try 120+ per atma (pre nerf).

Well, things are looking up! My partner in crime and I decided to move from Balmung to Cerberus. The ping is a lot better, so that's a major perk, plus despite all the housing wards being 'full' I was lucky enough to snag a small plot right next to the beach in Mist. I'd like to upgrade to a medium or large in the future but I'm in no rush since an apartment and a small house is plenty already.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Relic weapons in a nutshell.
    I hope they don't do any more of them.

Keep in mind though, that originally the grind was spread out over 2 years. There were no nerfs, no 100% drop rates etc.

You think 20 Fates is rough? Try 120+ per atma (pre nerf).
    The original atma questline made me quit in ARR.

Gordias made me quit in HW (bear in mind that I LOVED Gordias). There just wasn't enough quality players on my server and recruiting was a nightmare back then without cross server.

In SB I was eventually able to complete my ARR relic and the HW one due to nerfed requirements, but when Eureka launched it basically forced me to take a break. I don't subscribe to that type of content and it being nearly all there was put me off.

In SHB - I eventually got bored because other than raiding there simply wasn't anything to do that I enjoyed but level alt jobs, through content I've ran ad nausea.

I'm resubbed now, because on of my wow buddies finally started playing. I want to help him experience end game (exs/savage) in the hopes he can convince my other friends to join if he likes it. Would love to have all my old WoW buddies working on ultimate. With pre-defined strats, we'd clear really quickly.

What nonsense a new relic brings will likely lead to me demise again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Well, things are looking up! My partner in crime and I decided to move from Balmung to Cerberus.
    Uhoh .... I ..erm... have to go.
    @WReck: sounds rough. I just leave things be if the grind is too insane, like that Eureka BS.

Uhoh .... I ..erm... have to go.
    If you're on the same server you're welcome to get in touch!

I'm sure Ralqadar and Val can vouch for my sanity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup I'm on Cerberus.

Boy my alliance roulettes are all NIN after the patch notes. Are the changes that significant?

Just by the sound of it it should be easier to play. Considering that Nin are, even pre patch, still pretty good (the damage buff is after all very potent), it should boost most NINs ahead a level.

And the class is pretty cool by itself, so even if they aren't getting stronger, as long as the gameplay itself gets better, people will switch back to it.
    It's been ages since I last saw a NIN.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2019-10-29 at 05:24 AM.

MCH and RDM are getting some decent buffs too. The latter needed them far more than the former so it'll be interesting to see how it all works out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm far too lazy to maintain multiple combat classes. DRK has enough to tank experts and WHM is my raidmain.

Thankfully I am sitting on 100M gil and have a medium house, so not much need on that front either. I mostly craft to be self sufficient.
    Yup but I've made it easier on myself and just stick to two dps that happen to share gear with another job.

PVE - MNK - SAM, I rather play MNK so I don't bother.

PVP - DNC - MCH, Easy peasy with just a weapon switch.

Also I grinded all three Garo mounts and multiple wolf mark gears sets/etc this past week. That was a real chore on some nights.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Decided I wanted to get a pretty glowing weapon. Eureka is out of the question given its infamy, and when I walked in there was barely 20 people in the menu. Walked back out. According to the internet, the HW and ARR weapons are supposed to be easier to obtain. Looked through the designs, thought that the Ninja Yoshimitsu Animus and Novus blades looked cool.

Welp, it's a pain in the ass. For the Atma stage, you have to collect 12 different atma crystals. Each crystal supposedly has a 25% chance to drop from fates in its respective zone. Welp, I call bollocks on that. Spent an hour in Upper La Noscea and another hour in Western Thanalan farming FATEs nonstop. Took 20 FATEs in each zone for the crystal to finally drop. Exhausting, but alright, hard part is done, right?

Well, no. For the Zodiac stage, you have to complete nine books, similar to Khloe's weekly logbook. You can only work on one book at a time. In each book, you must slay specific enemies in specific zones, which is already a couple hours of hunting right there. Then you have to queue for and complete three specific dungeons (so upwards of 30 minutes in queue, and then another 15-30 minutes in the actual dungeon itself). Then you have to complete specific FATEs, which are on spawn timers outside of your control. Then you have to do guildleves... that last part is actually pretty easy, I guess. But you have to go through this process eight more times, just to complete this stage.

It's not difficult, just incredibly tedious. I have no motivation to do this again for any other relic weapon, and I'm thinking I'll stop once I complete the Novus version. The completed Zeta weapon looks ridiculous, but at that points perhaps I mind as well go for it and grab the achievement. I guess this is supposed to be a timesink for people who really don't care? You'd think people would prefer to do something actually enjoyable, but I can't see why people would choose to dedicate a dozen hours to this per weapon over having fun, like playing leveling up classes, progressing through Beast tribe reputations, or playing the Gold Saucer.

I'm curious as to what the ShB relic weapon quest gimmick will be.
    Just in case you didn't finish the books yet: Remember you can do the dungeons unsynch. That means ~1 sec in queue and you can 1shot every mob throughout the dungeon (I did it as SMN in the end of last xpac and would just pop a bio on each mob as I ran past it, and for the harder dungeons I might have needed a aoe spell to finish them off when I came to the next wall). If you're low geared or a job that isn't too good at soloing, bring a FC-mate

I had the same experience with the atmas as you at the start. My first 3 atmas took like 2 months of doing challenge log whenever I could be arsed because I wasn't convinced that I'd ever care enough to finish the relic. Then suddenly I got like 2 atmas in 10 fates, and got the rest within an hour. Guess I just saved up all my luck for the end. (my last 8 atmas took exactly 20 FATEs)

FATEs are also kinda in your control. There's a limit to the amount of FATEs that can be up at the same time, so if you need a specific one, do all the FATEs in the zone to force it to spawn. Or do what I did: check if any of the FATEs you need are up, go kill 2-3 of the mobs you need, go check again. Each check takes like minute (for all 3 zones), and I'd usually end up getting 1-3 of them while doing the leves and monsters. (for reference, I finished each book in 40-60 min, and did 1-3 every day. Think I finished in about a week, despite not logging on every day)

10+ Year Old Account
    I figured I'd log back in before heading to bed and was faced with the log in queue monster!

Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    What nonsense a new relic brings will likely lead to me demise again.
    Were the designs that much of draw? They were, and have always been, a "welfare" weapon for non-raiders (I say that as a non-raider!). They had more appeal in ARR since we didn't have an 8 man raid to duty find and it was a way to keep progressing a weapon, but I wouldn't have expected raiders to really care outside of liking the unique model.

I did it in HW, but my interest greatly dropped since there were other more reliable methods to get a good weapon. By Stormblood, I didn't care at all. I still kinda wish I had done Eureka to get the dyeable job sets and the Samurai barding, though. With nerfs, I might go back for those, but the weapons still don't interest me. They're basically just glamour items and not many really grabbed my interest as glamour items for that matter.

Stormblood might have held more interest if we knew what the final form was going to take, but it was far too much of a grind to throw the dice on that when weapons previously released and accessible without raiding were more powerful than a patch's final relic form. It seemed like grinding for inferior gear and a hope that the final model would be cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Boy my alliance roulettes are all NIN after the patch notes. Are the changes that significant?
    Lot of people are likely just testing them out and seeing how they like them.

15+ Year Old Account
    so anyone know how to get the lion looking sin eater mount?

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

I swear this patch continues to look like its setting up Graha Tia and Allisae as weird romance subplots for the player character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    so anyone know how to get the lion looking sin eater mount?
    hunt vendor in crystarium from what I heard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yep, sin eater mount is from nuts. 3200 of em

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Were the designs that much of draw? They were, and have always been, a "welfare" weapon for non-raiders (I say that as a non-raider!). They had more appeal in ARR since we didn't have an 8 man raid to duty find and it was a way to keep progressing a weapon, but I wouldn't have expected raiders to really care outside of liking the unique model.

I did it in HW, but my interest greatly dropped since there were other more reliable methods to get a good weapon. By Stormblood, I didn't care at all. I still kinda wish I had done Eureka to get the dyeable job sets and the Samurai barding, though. With nerfs, I might go back for those, but the weapons still don't interest me. They're basically just glamour items and not many really grabbed my interest as glamour items for that matter.

Stormblood might have held more interest if we knew what the final form was going to take, but it was far too much of a grind to throw the dice on that when weapons previously released and accessible without raiding were more powerful than a patch's final relic form. It seemed like grinding for inferior gear and a hope that the final model would be cool.
    In the case of PLD, yes. Excalibur and whatever the HW one was called are some of the best looking swords (subjective, but many will agree I'm sure) in the game. I actually quite liked the vanilla Galatyn in SB. It's one of my most used glamours. THANK GOD that it was the best looking version over all the ones that followed so I could skip that dumpster fire of Eureka. I'm kinda sad I couldn't get Ozma (only because nostalgia), but there's nothing in there worth dealing with for it.

I've never ever done a relic for it's use in gameplay. I'll have the final boss weapon months before the relic is ever relevant anyway for 1/5 the effort/time.

I've had this argument in the past - The raid weapons are almost always significantly less attractive (subjective). I would GLADLY swap them. I'm not confident the lower skilled playerbase would be ok with that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    In the case of PLD, yes. Excalibur and whatever the HW one was called are some of the best looking swords (subjective, but many will agree I'm sure) in the game.
    Honestly, PLD was one of the best ARR relics to me and I'll agree Excalibur was pretty amazing. It was also one of the most striking when dyed, if I recall, so you had some options to change it up with different outfits too, now that you remind me.