Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Man, why is SAM so flashy but so complicated uwu
    It's one of the easiest jobs in the game, IMO. The "three different combos" thing is intimidating at first glance, but after you practice for a bit it begins to become easier.

Here is my controller setup:

Samurai rotation basics:

• Enter combat. Do your kasha combo (Hakzae > Shifu > Kasha) to get your speed buff (makes your rotation go faster).
    • Then do your Gekko combo (Hakaze > Jinpu > Gekko) for your attack power buff.
    • AFTER you press Jinpu, but BEFORE you press Gekko and finish the combo, you want to place your DoT on the target by using Hissatsu Kaiten to buff your next ability, and then doing the DOT by using Iajutsu/Higanbana. Once you have placed the DoT on the target, THEN finish the Gekko combo by using Gekko.
    • Once you have your DoT on the target, your rotation is simply doing your three combos to fill out your gauge to turn your Iajutsu into a Midare. Use Meikyo Shisui on cooldown to just do the combo finishers of Kasha/Gekko/Yukikaze to get to the Midare faster.
    • Use Hissatsu Senei, Tusbame-Gaeshi, and Shoha on cooldown.
    • Meditate is used when you are in combat but there is nothing to attack, ie during a phase transistion in a boss fight. Enpi is a ranged attack you will hardly ever use.
    • For your energy/rage/kenki spenders, try to keep at least 20 kenki on you at all times. If you're nearing cap, spend it on something. Shinten is your single target Kenki dump. Hissatsu: Gyoten is nice for closing the distance, and Hissatsu Yaten is nice for backstepping away from a boss if he is about to AoE.
    • Third Eye, Merciful Eyes, and Hagakure are niche optimization stuff that only really matters at endgame raiding. Don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    More or less the first. Since she did send Minfillia there to stop the flood.
    That's a good point. I didn't think of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    That all depends on what you consider "lives". All those people on those worlds are just pieces of "real" people in the eyes of the Ascians. I know there's really no way to imagine a real-world parallel to what that would be like, but it's understandable to an extent. Especially since they don't see it as killing all those people, but helping them back to their original forms.

Besides, if you eradicated every life on Earth to create twice as many lives elsewhere, what would that be?
    Just imagine that everyone on Earth except two of your coworkers get divided into 14 smurfs. I'll be Gargamel. But it doesn't mean that the smurfs shouldn't try to stay alive by killing me. As Emet said : "The victor shall write the tale, and the vanquished become its villain!"

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Their society crumbled because of a world ending calamity but nice try.
    Last edited by MrTharne; 2021-08-10 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    Their society crumbled because of a world ending calamity but nice try.
    Well, Didn't their society keep trying to fix the issues with their world by continuously sacrificing 50% of their population to summon Zodiark, prompting some whom wish to stop the cycle by summoning Hydaelyn?

EDIT: Leveling Botany so far is nice and chill thus far. Maybe it's nice to have a break from leveling combat jobs every once in a while, was kinda feeling bored after finishing the ShB MSQ.
    Last edited by RampageBW1; 2021-08-10 at 08:16 PM.

I'm beginning to wonder if we need a current expansion discussion megathread, this one is starting to look like a government document. :P

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    Well, Didn't their society keep trying to fix the issues with their world by continuously sacrificing 50% of their population to summon Zodiark, prompting some whom wish to stop the cycle by summoning Hydaelyn?
    The first two sacrifices were voluntary, I'm under the impression the third one was not going to be as why would any new life have interest in sacrificing themselves to bring back the Amaurotines (even if they did sacrifice themselves for new life to exist)? This is sort of alluded to as well during Emet's confrontation when he asks the Scions if 50% of current humanity would have voluntarily sacrificed themselves to save the world and their facial expressions say it all, they know they would not.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if we need a current expansion discussion megathread, this one is starting to look like a government document. :P
    Made a spoiler thread

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Man, why is SAM so flashy but so complicated uwu

Edit: Also, fuuuucccckkkk i love all the classes so much !!!! Unless you are a monk, i hate you, not even addons love you
    Sam is actually the easiest melee class. You just need a visual guide for the rotation priorities and some practice and you'll be golden.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    I don't get why FFXIV fans want a bunch of salty old WoW boomers and their toxic twitch chats to invade the polite and welcoming community they've cultivated over the years.
    We don't. However Asmongold and his community have been amazing for the most part. Most of the toxicity comes from WoW players who wouldn't play another video game even if they got paid a million dollars.

They're extremely salty and go out of their way all over the Internet to hate a different game that they know almost nothing about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just cleared E9S which is my first Savage clear in FF. Really fun stuff. I feel like it was very challenging, but never overwhelming.

Any suggestions on the best way to spend poetics? I was going to save them to get set of level 60 gear when I got to Ishgard, but I'm already capped at 2k and still have the World of Darkness raid to do (with new player bonus). It's looking like my choices are glamour (the level 50 gear isn't much of an upgrade) or a weapon for an alt job unless I'm missing something.

Does all group content start dropping these post 50 or just the 'end game' stuff?
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Any suggestions on the best way to spend poetics? I was going to save them to get set of level 60 gear when I got to Ishgard, but I'm already capped at 2k and still have the World of Darkness raid to do (with new player bonus). It's looking like my choices are glamour (the level 50 gear isn't much of an upgrade) or a weapon for an alt job unless I'm missing something.

Does all group content start dropping these post 50 or just the 'end game' stuff?
    Endgame stuff drops poetics until latest expansion. So if you are between lvl 50 and 60, just wait til you finish the Heavensward MSQ before spending if you don't like the lvl 50 gear for glamour.

Ah right, I just noticed you didn't finish the Crystal Tower raid series. Well, just look for the cheapest poetics gear you can find (I think the cheapest requires 280 poetics) and just purchase that.
    Last edited by RampageBW1; 2021-08-11 at 05:00 AM.

It might be an idea, im not sure if the vendor for poetics in hw opens up at lvl 60 or at some msq point. The reason i mention it is that by the time i finished hw i already had a set of lvl 70 gear off the ah that was so much higher than the hw powtics gear (which carried me through the tail of hw, the post hw content and most of stormblood msq). The reason i mention it is because if its based on job level, then do it as soon as you hit 60 because youll have so many poetics in your bags. But if its based on story, youre likely gonna be around level 70 (if youre only on one job doing hw main campaign), making that gil investment a bit more spicy.

Eta: i forget that im playing on bonus xp server. If your level and msq are more tightly intwined then its probs not applicable. But if your level is dramatically different to your spot in the msq, then its maybe something to consider?
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-08-11 at 06:10 AM.

I'm still on a trial account, so can't use the market board. Currently level 53 heading into HW without the Road to 70 bonus.

Edit: It's like I foresaw the future with Heavensward. My character's a dragon lady dragoon who's patron deity (or whatever it's called at character creation) is Halone. :P
    Last edited by Lane; 2021-08-11 at 09:05 AM.

No reason to stay capped, if you do all your roulettes it'll nearly cap back in a day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Today's possible hot take:

Aside from the obvious lack of white magic, Ninja feels more like I've always imagined a "Red Mage" than RDM does. Melee-oriented with Fire, Lightning and Ice magic specials.

In any case, NIN has been fun to level. Moreso than SAM by a mile. Although in longer fights it does fall into 123 spam a lot, since you're pooling to dump everything on the next Trick.

Speaking of which, I find this happens a lot in XIV due to the bursty nature of DPS jobs: Everything feels so much more fun when fights are short, you're not worrying about burst windows, and your cooldowns are back up for the next fight. So you can just have a blast with high APM gameplay, blowing things up with all your cool stuff, and then move to the next thing. But in longer fights once the burst window is gone you're just kinda waiting on the next one and it's much less engaging in that time.
    Hopefully they add Runefencer to the game eventually as a more melee focused battlemage counterpart to the Red Mage.

As for downtime, if you do Savage and Ultimate you'll probably be grateful for the downtime in the rotations because it can definitely get hectic at times. Doing a rotation as strict as NIN's trick attack burst when shit was hitting the fan would be very difficult for even experienced players to pull off.

Runefencer might be cool, but honestly I'd rather get other, more unique jobs like Beastmaster or Chocobo Knight as they'd give the game more variety. We already have multiple sword/magic hybrid classes with Paladin, Dark Knight, Red Mage, Gunbreaker, and Ninja. Rune Fencer being just another variation of the sword/magic hybrid class wouldn't add as much to the game as a way out there class Beastmaster or Chocobo Knight which has nothing like them ingame yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Beastmaster is my #1 most wanted job right now. The game is severely lacking in Pet jobs. I tend to gravitate towards pet jobs in MMOs but I don't really like casters all that much so SMN doesn't really mesh with me. It's closer to a Warlock than a Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Beastmaster is my #1 most wanted job right now. The game is severely lacking in Pet jobs. I tend to gravitate towards pet jobs in MMOs but I don't really like casters all that much so SMN doesn't really mesh with me. It's closer to a Warlock than a Hunter.
    I hope they turn Summoner back into a proper pet job again, and introduce another one. Whether that's Beastmaster, Puppetmaster, or maybe Chocobo Knight (depending on the concept) I don't care.

I'm also a huge fan of pet jobs. What they did to Summoner in Shadowbringers was horrible, and I honestly never really thought the pet AI was THAT bad as to entertain the idea of getting rid of pets entirely as a feasible solution.

Ill never get tired of saying DRK should have been a DPS class, but since that ship has long sailed, I'd love for a fun twohanded dps class of any type at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Ill never get tired of saying DRK should have been a DPS class, but since that ship has long sailed, I'd love for a fun twohanded dps class of any type at this point.

You have 2 of them and a 3rd coming. Sam, Drg, and Rpr