Deleted

Question about Ivy bridge.

So i'm confused about the upcoming Ivy bridge and google search have given me more than one answers and they can't all be true.

So what the deal?

Can i use an Ivy bridge processer in a 1155 LGA socket or does there come a new socket?

Will they release new chipset and if known by now, what can we expect?

Also what is 2011 LGA socket? i've seen some insane MoBo's lately with fans and shit that have 2011 socket.

Hope your better then google mmo-champions!

Deleted
    Ivy Bridge will be a revision of Sandy Bridge I believe, and use the same socket (1155). As such, many of the mainboards today (Z68, P67, H67 and H61) will support Ivy Bridge CPUs (some might need a BIOS update).

The 2011 LGA socket is for Sandy Bridge Extreme, which will be enthusiast CPUs released soon (works with the x79 chipset).
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-11-03 at 02:06 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We are better than Google, allow me to demonstrate the vast powers of the mmo-champ computer forums.

LGA socket 2011 (X79 chipset) is Sandy Bridge-E, I believe the E stands for enthusiast or extreme. It's not aimed at gamers as much as like workstation type of people and true enthusiasts who do a lot more than just game with their computers.

Ivybridge will work on socket 1155. I believe there might be an Ivybridge-E, not entirely sure yet, but I think that would be a next level of the socket 2011 CPUs.

---------- Post added 2011-11-03 at 12:50 PM ----------

omg Marest I hate you! Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Ivy Bridge will be a revision of Sandy Bridge I believe, and use the same socket (1155). As such, many of the mainboards today (Z68, P67, not sure about H67 and H61) will support Ivy Bridge CPUs.
    I'll have to track down the graphic but I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that Ivy will be supported by H67 and H61 chipsets(with BIOS update).
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    H67, H61 do support Ivy Bridge just as P67 and Z68 do with bios updates. Asus has already began updating their boards to accommodate it as well.

http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/i...th-h67-and-p67

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Deleted
    I was wondering exactly the same things
    TY for this thread

Deleted
    ARh ok! thx a lot!

so the new processers will be named i3 31xx instead of i3 2100, nice to know and also good thing that the current MoBo's will support them!

Thinking about buying a highend MoBo now and say a i3 and the upgrade to a ivy bridge later!

Deleted
    If I understand it correctly there will be new chipsets available as well, namely Z77, Z75 and H77 (or Q77, Q75 and B75 - not clear about the names, maybe they are even different chipsets, they are all codenamed "Panther Point" anyway). They will be on the market around the same time as Ivy Bridge is released, namely March/April next year. As such, I wouldn't buy a motherboard now (or even buy a motherboard before I actually know the performance of the new CPUs).

The new chipsets will most likely offer better performance as well as new features (like for example PCI-E 3.0).
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-11-03 at 02:35 PM.

Asus has already began updating their boards to accommodate it as well.
    yeah, last time i checked, asus already released beta bios with ivy support for my Maximus Gene-Z

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's hoping Panther Point introduces native USB and Thunderbolt. The latter would be great for a speedy external HDD RAID box.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    If I understand it correctly there will be new chipsets available as well, namely Z77, Z75 and H77 (or Q77, Q75 and B75 - not clear about the names, maybe they are even different chipsets, they are all codenamed "Panther Point" anyway). They will be on the market around the same time as Ivy Bridge is released, namely March/April next year. As such, I wouldn't buy a motherboard now (or even buy a motherboard before I actually know the performance of the new CPUs).

The new chipsets will most likely offer better performance as well as new features (like for example PCI-E 3.0).
    Actually, Ivybridge may be around in December according to:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ivy...tor,13753.html