The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Magnetic Case Fan??

http://www.xoxide.com/enermax-urvega...sefan-red.html

I'm wanting to place this in the back of where the exhaust from the gpu's are. Only thing i'm worried about is the magnetizm. I know magnets kill hard-drives (insert video clip of hacker scrambling to slap a magnet on his harddrive before the authorities break down his door) so do you think there will be any issues with placing two of these fans behind the gpu exhaust panels? (Hard drive is nowhere near close to them)
    "Quit rolling your fat, greasy, cheetos grubbing fingers all over the keyboard!" - Random Burning Crusade Raider circa 2007
    "...tinkering with hardware...more or less electric LEGO for masochists." - Partial quote from Joel Johnson of Kotaku.com
    1/11/06 N/A Ten Day Guest Pass Expired = Vanilla Veteran Proof! (Haters still gonna hate)
    Never forget, that you were warned about the Mists of Pandaria. YOU were WARNED! (10/21/11)

Deleted
    Hey, now that is a clever idea! I'm surprised I haven't seen or hell even thought about one existing!

I dont understand the point, what is the problem with a normal fan? Fans are just a plug and 4 screws, they are not that hard to install and a normal one will be cheaper, unless you have some kind of phobia about opening your pc, you should use a normal fan.

Deleted
    No it won't do any damage unless you're rubbing it all over your HDD.

The motor from the fan itself would contain magnets of some sort, so I can't see them being an issue as long as there is sufficient seperation.
    While potentially rather stronger than those found in the moter if the distance is sufficient then I can't see any issues, though I have to admit I also was not aware of such a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by exdeath202 View Post
    I dont understand the point, what is the problem with a normal fan? Fans are just a plug and 4 screws, they are not that hard to install and a normal one will be cheaper, unless you have some kind of phobia about opening your pc, you should use a normal fan.
    If the case design support an external fan such as that, such as having a flat external surface then it would be easier to clean and giving more internal space.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by exdeath202 View Post
    Because some side fans can't be fitted internally with the size of some GPU coolers.

I'm surprised they haven't made these earlier. The wear and tear of normal bearing fans will always be a pain in the ass. Using magnetic power to keep the fan from the centre spindle is a principle that works without any noticeable tear on any of the components.

Deleted
    The size of the magnet it would take to do damage to your computer is around the same power as the ones they use to pick up cars at a junk yard. Small magnets will not hurt your PC even if you have it sat on the HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Dologalot View Post
    The size of the magnet it would take to do damage to your computer is around the same power as the ones they use to pick up cars at a junk yard. Small magnets will not hurt your PC even if you have it sat on the HDD.
    This right here, especially with today's computer parts, they're much more resilient to magnetics than they used to be. It used to be that if you had a magnetic screw driver, you wouldn't even think about using it around a computer... now, I can't live without my magnetic screw driver set.

Something like this, Silverstone has a filter that has magnets on the corners so you can slap it on outside of a case or something, pretty ingeneous. Though, coffee filters and panty hose work just as well

Edit: I wonder if they make that fan without an LED... I could definitely use one
    Last edited by Cantii; 2011-11-08 at 02:18 PM.

Deleted
    They can , I have them .

The magnet isn't that powerful enough so I can let it stay there , and in some cases with vibration it just slides down ;P

I use them like any other cooler , it's nice , but it doesn't offer enough ... err .. " strength " for me to let it be without putting something to hold it.

Unfortunatly the only ones I have seen that have magnets and don't have those ugly leds are the enermax silence ones.

it's pretty cool for while you want to figure out what's your best fan setup , after that , you just use them as regular fans , cause I doubt a person would fell safe with that in theyr case.

A small bump makes it detach reall easy.
    Last edited by mmocda69302ff9; 2011-11-08 at 02:39 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like a pretty good fan, just ordered 1 of them, wish it came in Blue though.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Woot I helped convince someone to buy something. YAY! (cheers inside)
    "Quit rolling your fat, greasy, cheetos grubbing fingers all over the keyboard!" - Random Burning Crusade Raider circa 2007
    "...tinkering with hardware...more or less electric LEGO for masochists." - Partial quote from Joel Johnson of Kotaku.com
    1/11/06 N/A Ten Day Guest Pass Expired = Vanilla Veteran Proof! (Haters still gonna hate)
    Never forget, that you were warned about the Mists of Pandaria. YOU were WARNED! (10/21/11)

Oh cool; Im going to buy me one of these! Except im not planning on useing the magnets. I'll just install it with screws or glue x3
    Last edited by Nevintsha; 2011-11-09 at 09:21 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevintsha View Post
    Oh cool; Im going to buy me one of these! Except im not planning on useing the magnets. I'll just install it with screws or glue x3
    Glue...reminds me of when my friend's video card was acting up in his brand new Ibuypower desktop about 7 years ago and when we opened it up after reseating the video card (that was the issue) I noticed that Ibuypower had used hot-glue to secure the memory in their slots. Not only being totally unnecessary, I removed the glue which was also secured to the motherboard Go Ibuypower...