Thread: PSU On or Off

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Question PSU On or Off

How do i know if my PSU is On or Off. On the back it has the switch, which is either I or 0, which one is it?

Also Do i have to turn the PSU off manually, or does the computer does it automatically?

Thanks!
    Case: Thermaltake A60
    MB: ASRock Z68 Ext3 Gen3
    CPU: i5 2500k, Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    GPU: HIS 6870 1gb
    PSU: Corsair GS 600
    SSD: Crucial M4 128g

Quote Originally Posted by Angel25 View Post
    How do i know if my PSU is On or Off. On the back it has the switch, which is either I or 0, which one is it?

Also Do i have to turn the PSU off manually, or does the computer does it automatically?

Thanks!
    Assuming you're typing on the computer, it's on.

Joking aside, I is on, and O is off. The PSU will remain on when the computer is off, but essentially in a hibernate state - it'll draw very little (if any) power.

Edit: I/O is actually taken from Binary Logic 1 and 0. 0 is an Off/False indicator, while 1 is an On/True indicator.
    Thanks Soko<3

O is off.
    I is on.
    when you close the computer there is no "demand" for electricity, and i guess its kinda turned off, but not really.
    when its on O its completely shut down, but while its on I it will start once the computer "demands" it.

ohh its late! good night! if im wrong i cant edit this then
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

As stated previously, O means there is no power available to the PSU. Otherwise, power will always be available to the motherboard.

The motherboard controls whether the rest of the PC components are on or off.

This functionality is controlled by most modern operating systems and by the case's power and reset switches (if the leads for those switches are hooked up properly).

Some, if not all, versions of Windows 95 were capable of shutting down the PC from within the operating system.

There is no need to use the PSU switch unless there is a problem with the motherboard, you need to access internal PC components, or if the the PC will not be used for a long period of time (1+ weeks).
    Last edited by criminy; 2011-11-11 at 12:57 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the help!
    Case: Thermaltake A60
    MB: ASRock Z68 Ext3 Gen3
    CPU: i5 2500k, Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    GPU: HIS 6870 1gb
    PSU: Corsair GS 600
    SSD: Crucial M4 128g