Poll: 2011 GotY?

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spurmwhale View Post
    yes i can because a rpg that for goes loot incentive or gear customization for GoTY is laughable :P not to mention its ridiculous it gets that type of hype, and yeah i played the whole game and was pissed i wasted my money...still am. kills me when i read people hyping it.

my fault i forgot, deus ex 3. i can't stand when i get misled from other gamers, just like i got misled with Age of Conan, just like i got misled with Aion, i wish i could make them pay 1/2 of the $50-60 i paid for them :P
    The two most recent Fallout games have been critically lauded, and has little loot variety as a whole. They're also RPGs. Conventions aren't mandatory. Skyward Sword threw out half of what made the series what it is today and is getting rave reviews because of it. BF3 has a shitty campaign (by most standards), something pretty important in FPSs, and is getting good reviews too. I hope you see my point here.

Voted Other.

I think Dark Souls is the best game made in years. Many years. It's one of my favorite games of all time, and if not for a few glitches that caused some annoyance (And the chugging that happens in certain areas) it may well have topped that list. I've not been so enthralled by a world, so in fear of constant danger, and so driven to accomplish things in a game in a very, very long time. Absolute 10/10 material.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    The two most recent Fallout games have been critically lauded, and has little loot variety as a whole. They're also RPGs. Conventions aren't mandatory. Skyward Sword threw out half of what made the series what it is today and is getting rave reviews because of it. BF3 has a shitty campaign (by most standards), something pretty important in FPSs, and is getting good reviews too. I hope you see my point here.

umm,m what? Fallout had more loot variety than any game i've ever played...granted most of it is junk, but between rocket launchgers, guns, ammos, and tons of other stuff its as loot incentive of a rpg i've ever played....

Witcher2 is the ONLY hyped RPG i've ever played(and i've played all of the major ones and then some) that had very little to no loot incentive or gear customizing. its such a core aspect of RPG that no, i won't ever understand your point. a GREAT RPG MUST have good loot and customizations related to it. Witcher2 trade skill looting was a huge joke....i realized i didn't ever need to pick up anything. just A to B follow the story....cheesy fighting...

Deleted
    I voted other, as I think that Deus Ex: Human Revolution has been the best game this year.

In order of which games I liked the most:
    2. Battlefield 3
    3. Skyrim (damn close to BF, near tie)
    4. Batman

Also I think that you forgot to put The Witcher 2 on that poll, especially with Dragon Age 2 up there. Now, I personally despise the game and Dragon Age 2 is better imo, wiht TW2 being not much more than a teenager's wet dream with bad combat to boot, but it has recieved a lot of praise and many like it.

umm,m what? Fallout had more loot variety than any game i've ever played...granted most of it is junk, but between rocket launchgers, guns, ammos, and tons of other stuff its as loot incentive of a rpg i've ever played....

Witcher2 is the ONLY hyped RPG i've ever played(and i've played all of the major ones and then some) that had very little to no loot incentive or gear customizing. its such a core aspect of RPG that no, i won't ever understand your point. a GREAT RPG MUST have good loot and customizations related to it. Witcher2 trade skill looting was a huge joke....i realized i didn't ever need to pick up anything.
    'Core aspects' (which I personally don't think loot is) still aren't mandatory.

Uncharted 3 was not specifically included because I haven't seen it talked about as GotY in any real capacity, the same goes for several other titles I've seen mentioned in the thread but weren't included.

I've seen every specific game in that list included in talks for game of the year, even Forza IV (IGN described it as the new gold standard in racing games), Gears III and Dragon Age II (neither of which I personally enjoyed all that much).

Like I said, there is an "other" option for a reason, it is unrealistic to think that I could include every game everyone liked, I simply included the most popular based on a number of criteria (mostly: the ones I've played and liked =P)...
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-11-14 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    'Core aspects' (which I personally don't think loot is) still aren't mandatory.
    its not mandatory only for niche rpg gamers into only storylines. for everyone else it lacks extremely....

i mean picking stuff up, being able to use it and see its effects, upgrading slots, seeing those effects in combat, and yourself slowly getting strongeer with more interesting rewards IS a core part of RPG's. Witcher2 is a niche RPG for those very into storylines...but i guess thats why they had to make the combat so console'sh. no way it deserves anywhere near Goty and it kills me when i see it. just ughh...

every 'classic' rpg has had major loot or gear customizing....see baldurs gates, oblivions, etc. in fact there really hasn't been a great one that hasn't that i can think of, or as lacking as Witcher2 was in it.
    Last edited by Spurmwhale; 2011-11-12 at 08:50 PM.

Deleted
    I'm very disapointed with the bad graphics in Skyrim... it looks like a MMO, while a normal RPG should look MUCH better. Also the gameplay is terrible... prefered Dragon Age 2.

It's going to be between Skyrim and Skyward Sword. I think (and hope) that Skyward Sword will win.
    Doesn't play WoW but continues to lurk MMO-Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Arano View Post
    I'm very disapointed with the bad graphics in Skyrim... it looks like a MMO, while a normal RPG should look MUCH better. Also the gameplay is terrible... prefered Dragon Age 2.
    What system are you playing it on? o.O

It looks amazing on the PC on medium graphics, I can only imagine what it looks like on ultra.

Ya know, I'm gonna have to go with Bastion.

Even if I don't play it as often as other games this year, its brought me the most fun.

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    What system are you playing it on? o.O

It looks amazing on the PC on medium graphics, I can only imagine what it looks like on ultra.
    hell i'm playing it on LOW settings and i don't ahve a problem with the graphics. i think its dumb how people care so much about how good the water looks, maybe if i were spending all my time staring at it and swimming in it i would care, but its just such a dumb compllaint i see.

i'm not far enough to judge the whole game yet tho.

Deleted
    cod games shouldnt even be allowed in these award things for games its just the same game over and over apart from you get new maps and weapons but the same lil kids who play thats why i voted skyrim id be shocked if mw3 beat bf3 or skyrim

Deleted
    Of the games I've played; Portal 2. However, I'm waiting on my Skyrim delivery, and I'm also waiting on Skyward Sword release.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonSpark View Post
    cod games shouldnt even be allowed in these award things for games its just the same game over and over apart from you get new maps and weapons but the same lil kids who play thats why i voted skyrim id be shocked if mw3 beat bf3 or skyrim

yeah dude

like ... what the hell are you even saying. MW3 is great fun and is in a huge contrast with their failures in black ops

Zelda or Uncharted 3.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSpark View Post
    While I enjoy playing the Call of Duty games with friends, I agree that it doesn't deserve to win GotY. Unfortunately, it will undoubtedly appear on a lot of lists...

10+ Year Old Account
    people saying Witcher2 are just /facepalm
    a rpg with barely any loot incentive or customization is laughable. its like a fps with no gun/weapon variety. please don't recommend games to people, it offends me people can actually put that up for GotY :P

what i don't see listed that was excellent IMO was Deus Ex 2. i think that was better than Arkham asylum, but its probably more taste i supppose....
    First of all, I don't think we even need to explain to you, thanks to you mentioning 'Deus Ex 2' and 'Arkham Asylum', it really shows how much you are into gaming.

As for the lack of customisation you mentioned, I'm not sure whether you're talking about stuff like talents and weapon upgrades or appearance customisation. If it's the first one, then I don't think you even deserve a reply coz it was all there.

If it's appearance you're talking about, it's because Geralt, the main character is a pre-established character in novels and tv shows of an actual author's imagination. How would any sane guy feel if you could play as Frodo and but you could 'customize' him to make him dark skinned or blonde? Won't work right? The same applies to Geralt.
    Last edited by neoscorpio; 2011-11-12 at 09:13 PM.

"King Varian, you wish to make war on my people!? You shall have your war, human. You will see the fury of the Horde rage through your cities. You will see your throne split in two! This I swear!" -Thrall, patch 4.2.0

Quote Originally Posted by neoscorpio View Post
    First of all, I don't think we even need to explain to you, thanks to you mentioning 'Deus Ex 2' and 'Arkham Asylum', it really shows how you are into gaming.

As for the lack of customisation you mentioned, I'm not sure whether you're talking about stuff like talents and weapon upgrades or appearance customisation. If it's the first one, then I don't think you even deserve a reply coz it was all there.

If it's appearance you're talking about, it's because Geralt, the main character is a pre-established character in novels and tv shows of an actual author's imagination. How would any sane guy feel if you could play as Frodo and but you could 'customize' him to make him dark skinned or blonde? Won't work right? The same applies to Geralt.
    the funny thing is i bet i have twice the Steam list or past game experience especially ini the RPG genre than you do. i've been playing rpg's since before UO, and i've played most of the MMORPG's, including all of the older ones...all of the Baldurs Gates, so you trying to use my memory lapse to discredit me is pretty laughable.

lol what loot was there in Witcheer2, be specific...because there was barely any. this is what i'm talking about sicne ANYBODY that played it knows how much of a joke the trade skill creating for loot was, and here u are misleading it just to protect it from criticism :P i mean at least be honest about it, don't lie just so nobody can say negative stuff thats true....its really what leads others who rely on other gamer input astray. i don't know why people aren't realistic :P

and yes, Geralt HAVING to be like he is in the books IS a major problem that doesn't excuse what it lacks in terms of a RPG. just don't lie about it having this great loot incentive or customizing options, or pretend its such a great RPG when its not. it lacks in a MAJOR RPG component. period. i haven't even broken down its fighting gameplay which was extreemely cheesy. roll around, electric trap, hack dead... rinse -repeat...
    Last edited by Spurmwhale; 2011-11-12 at 09:15 PM.

GOTY awards are mostly a joke anyway. Triple A titles fighting over who threw more money at marketing and hype. Along with the gift giving season, why else do you think big releases are held until this time of year?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged