[Oblivion GOTY] Confused noob

Heya,

So I started Oblivion GOTY (The one with Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles) yesterday, and pretty much did stuff except the main quest.

1.) exited prison
    2.) did some quest to kill a necromancer behind a small house on the route towards my main quest
    3.) Decided to explore some "Strange door"
    4.) Entered said door, killed the gatekeeper with tears
    5.) Entered Mania, did the quest for some chalice, and to find some conspiracy on who wanted the major muppet girl dead.

Level 3 at the moment. But really have no clue where to start after this, where to go etc.

I read that the sword I got is pretty good (Dawnfang/Duskfang).

But I have a few questions.

1.) Any tips for where to go/ what to do? I was told that following the main quest, mainly some "oblivion gate" would be dangerous right now.
    2.) Where can I get a good shield? I have the steel shield at the moment, but every other hit my shield gets slammed away.
    3.) Any good tips? stuff I should do or shouldn't do?

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/941876-th...-the-year/faqs

If you can't find the answer to pretty much anything in that game using this site, then the answer likely does not exist.

EDIT: Also if it says another console next to the guide, and it is not the system you are playing on, you can still use the guide. Beyond keybinds, there is not much difference between the different platforms.

Just play. Go wherever you want, do whatever you want. There is no flow to the story you have to adhere to.

Shields will drop from enemies that carry them. At level 3, a steel shield is fairly solid for you right now. Your shield getting slammed away isn't because the shield is bad, it's probably because your block is low and you are being hit by strong attacks.

As for where to go, I'd personally say continue in the Shivering Isles with the quests Sheogorath gives you. After that, maybe hit the fighter's guild or mage's guild, depending on what class you are. Maychance even the dark brotherhood or theives guild. Otherwise, do the main quest. Honestly, go with what you feel like, that's the beauty of Oblivion.

Tried the faqs, but they generally assume that you have a clue about the game :P

I generally chose the skills and Birthsign that seemed most fun to me.

What I also dislike about the faq is that they generally rush through the game, and barely touch the sidequests.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion

There's anything you can possibly imagine about the game. All of the quests are posted, where to get them, how to do them if you get stuck, etc. The only thing it won't tell you is the order in which to do everything, because that's your choice. Just stay out of the Oblivion gates at lower levels as you'll lack gear and knowledge of what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by NeutralGuy View Post
    Just play. Go wherever you want, do whatever you want. There is no flow to the story you have to adhere to.
    I'd have to agree with NeutralGuy here. Oblivion is fantastic in this aspect; you can do almost whatever you want, whenever. Do whatever you feel like doing, you don't have to do the main quest if you don't want to. I'd recommend doing the Dark Brotherhood guild's quests. They're hands down the best quests in the game, bar none. After that, I did the Mage Guild's quests, although it seems to take an eternity.

I don't remember the beginning of Oblivion that well, it's been a while, but I would avoid the Oblivion gates at the beginning. I seem to remember struggling when I attempted to do so early in the game.

Again, do what you want. You can focus on whatever you want, that's the beauty of Oblivion.

Deleted
    You pretty much ruined the game for yourself, if you're a melee fighter:P The Dawn/Duskfang, when you first get it scales to your level and there is no way to upgrade it or get another one later unless you use cheats.. and it's the best sword in the game. Do yea, it's best to get it at level 25 or was it 30 when it's maxed.

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    You pretty much ruined the game for yourself, if you're a melee fighter:P The Dawn/Duskfang, when you first get it scales to your level and there is no way to upgrade it or get another one later unless you use cheats.. and it's the best sword in the game. Do yea, it's best to get it at level 25 or was it 30 when it's maxed.
    If I recall right, level 30 or 31.

If he's playing on the PC, he can use console to get the upgraded version, though not cheating that does somewhat ruin the spirit of the game. On the other hand, it ruins the feel of the game if you get an epic weapon (in several aspects) that just becomes something you want to put into a display case instead of bring to battle.

Meh, I will get a decent weapon if I replace this one sometime. After looking around the map a bit, I saw something called "Arena" or somesuch, I guess that is my next destination after the Isles.

Thanks for the help!

Haha. This is funny. You accidentally entered the realm of madness.

Yeah, have fun with that. That place is fucking insane.

I'd say go back to the real world, kill a few people and join the dark brotherhood. Best quests of anything ever imo.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

@Dark, so far it's pretty easy. I expected more of a challenge. The only hard part was the whole "omg addiction to X" when getting the chalice

I'm fairly certain that he meant "insane" as in... well it is the realm of the Madgod, ain't it? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    What I also dislike about the faq is that they generally rush through the game, and barely touch the sidequests.
    That is most likely because it would be practically impossible to make a walkthrough guide that deals with every sidequest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Xothic View Post
    That is most likely because it would be practically impossible to make a walkthrough guide that deals with every sidequest.
    not really... just would be a waste of time as many are simple and self-explanatory.

TWell you could always get Umbra's armor... Sure the recommended level is 20, but I am sure you can figure out how to kill her :P
    If I remember correctly you used to be able to stand on a ledge where she couldn't touch you, but I think they patched that. Next best thing is to run around, up stairs, jump off the ledge and every so often turn around and hit her with a fireball or something that will damage her. Then again, I am not sure if it will work, I haven't played Oblivion in a few years. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by NeutralGuy View Post
    not really... just would be a waste of time as many are simple and self-explanatory.
    Detailing how to find all of them would be a novel and a half though.

Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    Tried the faqs, but they generally assume that you have a clue about the game :P

I generally chose the skills and Birthsign that seemed most fun to me.

Also perhaps you did not look far enough into the guide? Most Detail the Main Quest first and then have side quests organized by guild/theme after that. As everyone else has recommended, I would say pick a guild that sounds most interesting to you or most like your play style and play through that. Choices are Fighters, Mages, Thieves, and Dark Brotherhood (assassin). Dark Brotherhood was definitely the funnest for me regardless of my class. Have Fun!