Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Skyrim for PC - I don't know whether to love it or hate it.

On the one hand the game is quite fun - on the other, it's still a very, very clear console port without the sophistication of a "golden era PC RPG".

The UI puts me off my lunch and the whole port just reeks of laziness.

Check this out for super-realistic physics as my horse manages to negotiate a sheer cliff face. (If you want to see it search for "mountaineering horse skyrim" on Youtube.

Hopefully the mod community can give us the UI this game deserves.

Guys (and gals) ...

Buy an x-box 360 usb controller. I play all my PC / xbox port games with this. Problem solved. I couldn't imagine playing skyrim any other way.

And... it's not wasted money - you can use the controller on all your old games and the new games that come out too.

A bunch of UI mods are being released daily atm (pc version is superior due to this), I personally don't mind the UI and after watching my mate play his copy on PS3 and going back to my PC copy it's obvious how better the game is on PC, maybe you need glass's?

Quote Originally Posted by Propane View Post
    I heard it didn't come with modding tools this time round? I haven't looked into it, though.

Here's my horse video if anyone's curious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbFgYuQIo4Y

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Propane View Post
    That is the number one reason I will NEVER buy an Elder Scrolls game on a console; the modding community.

I still play Oblivion, to this day. No joke. Same with Fallout 3/NV. The sheer amount of amazing mods is staggering.

Quote Originally Posted by mische View Post
    Guys (and gals) ...

Buy an x-box 360 usb controller. I play all my PC / xbox port games with this. Problem solved. I couldn't imagine playing skyrim any other way.
    I guess this might be more of a problem with we old school gamers - The reason I don't want to buy an XBOX or other console controller is because I always hated how limiting they were, always disliked console games (I always viewed consoles as only being good for fighting games) and have no desire to basically see the PC turn into just another console by giving in and using their controller.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nemspy View Post
    I heard it didn't come with modding tools this time round? I haven't looked into it, though.

Here's my horse video if anyone's curious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbFgYuQIo4Y
    The modding tools weren't available on release, but they will be made available at some point. Presumably they're still polishing them for public release. Well, that or they're taking a well earned holiday

Then again, I'm fairly sure that some of the PC UI flaws will have to be fixed from Bethesda's side. Especially the hanging selection, where you can't select other items in a list, is starting to annoy me.
    Last edited by mmoc45ca6388df; 2011-11-15 at 07:03 AM.

There is honestly nothing wrong with the UI. People will complain about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiea View Post
    There is honestly nothing wrong with the UI. People will complain about anything.
    I'm in agreement with this. I find the UI quite easy to navigate and quick to learn/understand. Something that is popular and widely loved will always attract a good amount of anger, jealousy and spite from the usual crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiea View Post
    Some people don't like it. I don't have an issue with it at all, except finding where my current affects are listed since everyone was telling me I was diseased and couldn't figure out which disease I had (no, I wasn't going vampire, damnit)

Deleted
    I play Skyrim on my XBOX and I love it because it is so easy to learn and to handle. I personally like games where you don´t need that much addons like in WoW to have a nice experience.

Deleted
    Im playing it with a Logitech G13 making a key mapping in the Logitech software instead of Skyrim because remapping certain keys in Skyrim is buggy. This works really well though. Plus a G13 is generally awesome for MMOs as well (whereas an xbox controller wouldnt be :P ).

10+ Year Old Account
    I've given Skyrim a fair amount of game time since it came out. I can say that I love the game and I wish I had mroe time to play it. The details, the story, the side-quests, smiting, the soundtrack is as always - epic. I was a bit rusty when I logged into the game for the first time. I had to tamper with the controls for 10-15 mins till I found a suitable setup. At first the whole UI felt a bit hard to navigate...at first. After an hour or two of playing it felt perfectly ok. I gave it a shot and now it doesn't bother me at all.

Ok back to work now.

P.S - Being a dwemer tomb raider is cool! Gief more dwarven metal!

I don't find the UI that bad, and the gameplay and story itself more than make up for it.
    "Imagine coming across a mentally disabled person who was not only drunk, high, but had a full frontal lobotomy leaving little to no intelligence left in their body.

He would be NORMAL, compared to me."

Skyrim is one of the few games for pc that I will use an x-box controller with
    it plugs right into your usb port.
    The game is designed with a controller in mind the pc version has force feedback to the controller
    and interface menus navigate perfectly.
    Bored so I decided to check out thesaurus.com. I typed "Ninjas" and the reply was "Ninjas could not be found".

Well played, Ninjas. Well played.

I'm playing Skyrim on PC <3 with my Onza. Takes a little bit to adjust to the gamepad gameplay when you've never used one better.
    And I probably still prefer the keyboard + mouse set up for its flexibility and precision. But the controller allows me to just play from my bed in lazy mode, and that's a win.

I would probably be complaining as well for the shitty UI port and lack of key remapping if I was playing with keyboard + mouse, as it often feels lazy, sloppy and "oh hi I don't give a shit about PC since 90% of my sales are on console even though this is a PC game!" But the controller set up works pretty good, and I don't wanna feel angry right now.
    Also can't wait to try the Onza on Batman and AC:R!

The UI is definitely the worst part of the game, but it's not so bad that I can't live through it until the modders get something better released. There's also the Favourites menu. Use it. It'll make your life so much more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by mische View Post
    Guys (and gals) ...

And... it's not wasted money - you can use the controller on all your old games and the new games that come out too.
    How does this at all fix the fact that the devs developed this game first for 7 year old tech and not current hardware and then scale it down for consoles?

What.

Deleted
    I bought Oblivion for the Xbox 360 and loved the controls. I just love being able to sit back and relax, having everything in 1 hand.

I got Skyrim for the PC, cause of the mods. I'm still using my xbox 360 controller though, and love how it works out