Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

No combat log...

I've been hearing that there will be no combat log and I'm not sure if they are planning on implementing it in the future or what....

But, no combat log

Do they not want people to learn a rotation or theorycrafters to get on board with their calculations?
    Last edited by Lirik; 2011-11-17 at 08:32 PM.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where did you read that? I thought that I read that there was going to be one.

They have said it will be added, possibly at launch or shortly after. Georg has stated he likes them, and is himself a min-maxer. IIRC it will not be a real time meter, like recount, but we could get the report outside the game.
    Im just here till SWTOR launch.

YAY no combat log.. Do not want parser....

this pleases me. I hope the game can stay fun, being about story and interactions and not e-peen'ing with damage meters.

Quote Originally Posted by mystik View Post
    this pleases me. I hope the game can stay fun, being about story and interactions and not e-peen'ing with damage meters.
    If you are looking for pure story.. why would you play an MMO?

damage meters aren't only for e-peening they are for seeing who actually knows how to play their class properly. Also, for high end raids parses are needed no matter what.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazybean View Post
    They have said it will be added, possibly at launch or shortly after. Georg has stated he likes them, and is himself a min-maxer. IIRC it will not be a real time meter, like recount, but we could get the report outside the game.
    I don't care if it isn't in real time. I never really bothered to look at recount anyways as a healer or a tank.

As long as they have some sort of WoL type site that guilds can upload to, I'll be happy. The complete lack of mod support by Trion, until recently, was one of the reasons I stopped playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    I don't care if it isn't in real time. I never really bothered to look at recount anyways as a healer or a tank.

As long as they have some sort of WoL type site that guilds can upload to, I'll be happy. The complete lack of mod support by Trion, until recently, was one of the reasons I stopped playing.
    Why wouldn't you look as recount as a healer or tank? You do realize that recount isn't just a damage meter/healing meter it tells you numerically how much damage you are taking, what you are taking the most damage from, and how you died.

You can prevent wipes and be a better player by learning from parse information.

Edit:

Anyways, I just hope they add a combat log in the near future as well as mod support shortly after launch. There isn't Target of Target either at launch which kinda sucks for healers and tanks.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lirik View Post
    Why wouldn't you look as recount as a healer or tank? You do realize that recount isn't just a damage meter/healing meter it tells you numerically how much damage you are taking, what you are taking the most damage from, and how you died.

You can prevent wipes and be a better player by learning from parse information.

Edit:

Anyways, I just hope they add it in the future as well as mod support. There isn't Target of Target either at launch which kinda sucks for healers and tanks.
    Oh, I looked over our logs a lot. After so many years of playing, I just got to the point where I didn't really need to look at Recount anymore to figure out what was happening during or immediately after an encounter.

10+ Year Old Account
    They have to implement a log eventually if they have enrage timers or when heals going oom is keeping you from clearing an encounter. Ocne there is a log damage meters will pop up. All you need is access to the logs outside the game and a program that computes them. I actually prefer the out of game method to recount.

The reason why we don't have logs now because Bioware probably didn't want people theorycrafting when even now they are still adding and removing abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    They have to implement a log eventually if they have enrage timers or when heals going oom is keeping you from clearing an encounter. Ocne there is a log damage meters will pop up. All you need is access to the logs outside the game and a program that computes them. I actually prefer the out of game method to recount.

The reason why we don't have logs now because Bioware probably didn't want people theorycrafting when even now they are still adding and removing abilities.
    I didn't think of that. Not only that, that could potentially play in to the whole NDA.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome, so there is no way or judging if people are pulling their weight or not in Operations or Flashpoints.

Combat parsing should be in the game, it doesn't affect how much fun you have in the game, but it does affect how well I can judge my raiders.
    REPUBLIC
    <Insomnia> @ EU
    16-man Nightmare Raiding
    Ranged DPS and Healers needed

Quote Originally Posted by mystik View Post
    I hope you understand something:
    no combat log = no competitve PvE endgame
    no competitive endgame = losing subs as soon as people level up
    losing subs = "fun story and interactions" game goes free2play and dies.

Is that what you want?

---------- Post added 2011-11-17 at 03:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lirik View Post
    I didn't think of that. Not only that, that could potentially play in to the whole NDA.
    Except in recent interview they said they didn't want to bring combat log back at all
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

why do they need enrage timers ?
    there's plenty enough mmorpg out there that don't need them and are much more fun raids that are challenging to find in them
    like some already set, recount styles are only for eping

Quote Originally Posted by Lierial View Post
    there's plenty enough mmorpg out there that don't need them and are much more fun raids that are challenging to find in them
    Name one. Please. And then tell me how it's doing, sub-wise.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Everquest
    Everquest 2
    DDOnline

thats 3 for starters

and don't take this wrong, its not for starting a flame

but any Raid in Everquest takes 10x more skill then the "hardest" raid mob in wow

10+ Year Old Account
    But there are enrage timers...

Recent interview said they had an enrage timer on one boss where adds spawn faster and faster which acted as an enrage.

10+ Year Old Account
    And don't people usually figure out their dps with a dps meter like recount? That could easily be implemented with a third party addon.

i don't want an in game recount. out of game parsers are fine as most people won't be running them so i won't have to hear about how awesome your dps is as you stand in fire.

i've played plenty of mmo's without recount, it is in no way necessary for the game.