Thread: NCAA football

10+ Year Old Account
    WSU holding their own against Oregon.

Still before the second half though, thats when things fell apart against Oregon State.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Cool. It's always nice to see such a reasonable response.
    Bad calls really burn my britches, so to speak. I've been on the bad "side" of those plenty enough.

Meanwhile, part of me is having a hard time believing that Clemson got stomped like that, and the other part of me is saying I shouldn't expect anything less based solely on history.
    Really insane game - unbelievable stomping by Florida State.

And it looks like Washington State doesn't seem to want to lose. I'm impressed so far by their play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    And it looks like Washington State doesn't seem to want to lose. I'm impressed so far by their play.
    So was Oregon State last week... until Wazzou tossed all those crazy picks in the 4th.

If Mike Leach gets enough time at the helm he's going to be able to improve that program significantly.

10+ Year Old Account
    So was Oregon State last week... until Wazzou tossed all those crazy picks in the 4th.

If Mike Leach gets enough time at the helm he's going to be able to improve that program significantly.
    The way things are looking at UW, its very unlikely that Sark will have a job after this season.

Still not a huge fan of Mike Leach, but if he turns around that team it'll be interesting. Been a very long time since WSU has been relevant. They really need a QB though.

And the picks start...
    Last edited by Vetali; 2013-10-20 at 04:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Still not a huge fan of Mike Leach, but if he turns around that team it'll be interesting.
    I know he draws occasional criticism for his behavior but I have the fondest memories of him absolutely tormenting aTm while he was coaching Texas Tech. Some of those press conferences might as well have been stand-up routines.

Been a very long time since WSU has been relevant. They really need a QB though.
    Yeah it's been at least a decade. I remember the Ryan Leaf days well also.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, here come the picks. Can't give the ball up four times and expect anything but an ass kicking. They sure started out well though . . . .

Jaemis really looks pretty next level to me at the moment. I can barely believe the guy is a freshman. The smoothness of his, how polished he looks, the way he carries himself... the guy just seems like an upperclassman.

Super early, but I'd be excited for any title game with any Oregon, FSU, Alabama combination.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know he draws occasional criticism for his behavior but I have the fondest memories of him absolutely tormenting aTm while he was coaching Texas Tech. Some of those press conferences might as well have been stand-up routines.

Yeah it's been at least a decade. I remember the Ryan Leaf days well also.
    I was still young back in the Ryan Leaf days. My dad was obsessed with WSU back then though.

The biggest taint to WSU really is that in Washington they are regarded as a party college. Its pretty well known to the high schoolers around here. EWU and WSU both.

Yeah, here come the picks. Can't give the ball up four times and expect anything but an ass kicking. They sure started out well though . . . .
    Sad, really.

I was still young back in the Ryan Leaf days.
    I was the biggest Leaf for Heisman advocate I knew. Not my proudest moment. Well, actually, I wanted Ahman Green to win the Heisman, thought he got an unfair rap because Lawrence Phillips was an awful NFL back and awful person, and that Woodson was one of the most undeserving winners of my lifetime. Oh well!

Oregon stops turning over the ball --> executes and scores just like they have all season.

It's crazy how that works :P .

EDIT: That Terrance Mitchell 4th quarter pick 6!
    Last edited by Projali; 2013-10-20 at 05:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I was the biggest Leaf for Heisman advocate I knew. Not my proudest moment.
    I forgive you.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Projali View Post
    Oregon stops turning over the ball --> executes and scores just like they have all season.

It's crazy how that works :P .

EDIT: That Terrance Mitchell 4th quarter pick 6!
    Lol, yeah - what a nutty strategy. T.Mitchell is fantastic. With those pink helmets, anything other than a blowout would have been embarrassing.

LSU showing the SEC's overrating-ness (new word!). And S. Carolina's loss!
    if anything this just shows the SEC IS the strongest conference. In any given season pretty much every team in the SEC, except maybe Vandy, has a chance to be good. Hell over the last few years even Vandy is starting to show up. In the ACC its always the same 2-3 teams every year that do good: FSU, Va-Tech, and Clemson. Teams like Duke, UVA, Wake Forest, and all the others are career 6-6 teams. Every year the SEC has 5 or 6 teams that can finish with 10 wins

Quote Originally Posted by tiffy33 View Post
    if anything this just shows the SEC IS the strongest conference. In any given season pretty much every team in the SEC, except maybe Vandy, has a chance to be good. Hell over the last few years even Vandy is starting to show up. In the ACC its always the same 2-3 teams every year that do good: FSU, Va-Tech, and Clemson. Teams like Duke, UVA, Wake Forest, and all the others are career 6-6 teams. Every year the SEC has 5 or 6 teams that can finish with 10 wins
    Vandy has a much better chance of being decent than Kentucky.

Gonna say the rankings will look like this later today:
    1. Alabama
    2. Oregon
    3. FSU
    4. OSU
    5. Baylor
    6. Miami
    7. Stanford
    8. Mizzou
    9. Clemson
    10. LSU (by merit of being the least awful loss and highest ranked team that lost, ignoring Clemson)

>Other conference's high ranked team lose to lower ranked or unranked team, it's because they're highly overrated and lost to a cupcake.
    >SEC high ranked team loses to lower ranked or unranked team, it's because the entire conference is top tier.

So beyond tired of this. I get the whole "defend the conference" mentality because people belittle the SEC as a whole but the argument lacks any objectivity.

How did the taters even get to #3? They havent beaten anyone good. Guess they are the definition of overrated.

i can't think of one reason that FSU, who dominated ranked teams 114-14 and is undefeated, the only top 10 offense and defense in the NCAA, doesn't deserve to be #1. they've been the best team this year, got the best resume this year, and dominated this year.

this year, right now, they're #1

oh yeah i know why, that $2,200,000,000 ESPN deal the SEC has

if FSU beats NCSU and gets to play unbeaten, top 5 miami, there is no indication miami can fare any better than maryland or clemson and doesn't have the offense either of those teams supposedly has

- - - Updated - - -

How did the taters even get to #3? They havent beaten anyone good. Guess they are the definition of overrated.
    beat #5 UGA and won out, until last night their resume earned them a #1 rating compared to ORE and ALA. don't forget that while it shouldn't, last year matters, and SEC teams benefit from this as much as anyone, but clemson beat LSU in the bowl game last year too

- - - Updated - - -

>Other conference's high ranked team lose to lower ranked or unranked team, it's because they're highly overrated and lost to a cupcake.
    >SEC high ranked team loses to lower ranked or unranked team, it's because the entire conference is top tier.

So beyond tired of this. I get the whole "defend the conference" mentality because people belittle the SEC as a whole but the argument lacks any objectivity.
    yesterday morning the SEC teams at the top were 47-1 vs the SEC teams at the bottom (and that 1 win was from last week, MIZZ vs UGA, yes they considered MIZZ the bottom for this SEC-biased stat or it would be 48-0 the past few years)

yesterday turned that top heavy, lopsided, parity-lacking stat into 48-4

that's still, by far, the most top-heavy win/loss ratio in the nation. in reality the SEC has no elite team this year but luckily bama hasn't played anyone. they have a bunch of 2-loss teams that aren't complete. that's the reality of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nick Aliotti is pissed that WSU kept throwing against Oregon making their D look bad to scouts. Which, Connor Halliday knocked off Brees for most pass attempts and tied the record for completions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by notreallybullying View Post
    that's still, by far, the most top-heavy win/loss ratio in the nation. in reality the SEC has no elite team this year but luckily bama hasn't played anyone. they have a bunch of 2-loss teams that aren't complete. that's the reality of it.
    They beat Texas A&M, and they at least bother to schedule high-profile games out of conference. They DESTROY everyone they play that wasn't A&M. Their schedule has been just as hard as Oregon's so far. Miami beat an overrated Florida team. Florida State beat Clemson, which is great. But none of these schedules prove anything yet. None of them so far have been harder than any other. Alabama is number one based on the fact they started number one and have yet to lose. I challenge you to prove that they are overrated in some way.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

This is 100% correct. And FL St only has one real win over a ranked team, and it was a great one no argument. Their #3 is very well earned, but they do not deserve any higher yet.

The BCS coming out tonight should be very interesting. Any "upset" predictions?
    Last edited by cubby; 2013-10-20 at 05:40 PM.