Thread: NCAA football

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    To be fair, Vandy is a little underrated because of the conference they play in. I'm not gonna sit here and say that they could beat anybody outside their conference, but they could probably be ranked if they didn't have to play all the SEC teams.
    Underrated? They are proverbial cellar-dwellers as a result of it. They MIGHT win.. 2 or 3 games outside their conference, if the other teams have bad days/suspended players and the cheerleaders flash a little extra skin on the sidelines - but that's about it. The only rank I ever see them holding is a place on the permanent cellar-dweller list. Just my 2 cents worth tho =\

#FlightIsImportant

10+ Year Old Account
    Coulda fooled me. I haven't seen said proof of that before this year.
    Unless you have some Bizarro World version of ESPN or something, it's been hiding in plain sight all this time. You can find all sorts of examples (like this) if you feel like looking -- or use the wayback machine to browse tv schedules (like on this cached ESPN-U page).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus9001 View Post
    Underrated? They are proverbial cellar-dwellers as a result of it. They MIGHT win.. 2 or 3 games outside their conference, if the other teams have bad days/suspended players and the cheerleaders flash a little extra skin on the sidelines - but that's about it. The only rank I ever see them holding is a place on the permanent cellar-dweller list. Just my 2 cents worth tho =\
    Opinions, yes, but accurate one, no. Vandy has improved much over the last couple years, and you're comparing them to Northwest Regional Tech North Dakota State.

New rankings are out. Arkansas falls from number 8, all the way out of the Top 25. Not sure if that should have happened, but without Wilson, I'm not sure they can come out of that, especially with Bama next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Unless you have some Bizarro World version of ESPN or something, it's been hiding in plain sight all this time. You can find all sorts of examples (like this) if you feel like looking -- or use the wayback machine to browse tv schedules (like on this cached ESPN-U page).
    http://web.archive.org/web/200708192...ules?groupId=8

Thanks for that link. The last 8 weeks there have zero SEC games on the ESPN networks.

2008 is worse http://web.archive.org/web/200809051...pId=8&confId=8
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-09-09 at 10:47 PM.

Obviously someone who doesn't actually know SEC football, but acts like they do. Vanderbilt is a team on the rise, and actually has been getting better and better every year. Sure they take a slide back here and there, but overall for the last 10 years they have been progressing as a program. They seem to have a Head Coach finally who is not just happy competing, he wants to win.

Vandy has a solid team, are they going to a BCS bowl? Well no. Every year it seems though that they come right down to that last game or two with the ability to go to a bowl game. I don't think they can ever be a power house in the SEC with what it takes to gain entry into the University, but I think they do have the ability to be a solid bowl team every year. I would definately put them above Kentucky and Ole Miss as far as football programs atm ( thus not the worst).

As far as the ULM loss vs the App St. loss, please there is no comparison. The App St. loss rocked the College Football world, the ULM loss was more like a 2.5 earthquake in California.

Also keep in mind, its not like Tyler Wilson went out and threw 5 ints and we fumbled the ball a bunch. Basically we lost our Heisman Trophy Candidate Quarterback, and as many teams have had happen, we got beat by a very mobile, very underated QB. Also our defense sucks and has only been ok for the last several years. We were very overrated coming into this season.
    Last edited by Armourboy; 2012-09-09 at 11:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://web.archive.org/web/200708192...ules?groupId=8

Thanks for that link. The last 8 weeks there have zero SEC games on the ESPN networks.
    You're working with a cached page from August 2007, before the season began. The majority of times and stations hadn't been finalized for September games, let alone the last eight weeks of the season. To get accurate week-by-week listings it'll be necessary to go retrieve individual cached pages. Or, find individual team pages on wiki if the caching is wonky or too labor intensive to bother with.

If you have any interest in looking them up, you'll find SEC games on ESPN apart from the CCG or those CBS laid claim to. Alabama and LSU had three regular season games broadcast on ESPN in 2007, Auburn and South Carolina were on six times. Be my guest to look up any others. I really don't understand why you're disputing any of this...

10+ Year Old Account
    You're working with a cached page from August 2007, before the season began. The majority of times and stations hadn't been finalized for September games, let alone the last eight weeks of the season. To get accurate week-by-week listings it'll be necessary to go retrieve individual cached pages. Or, find individual team pages on wiki if the caching is wonky or too labor intensive to bother with.

If you have any interest in looking them up, you'll find SEC games on ESPN apart from the CCG or those CBS laid claim to. Alabama and LSU had three regular season games broadcast on ESPN in 2007, Auburn and South Carolina were on six times. Be my guest to look up any others. I really don't understand why you're disputing any of this...
    Because I know what I watched. CBS handled most of the SEC games. I've never seen a day where every single game on ESPN was an SEC game. But I appreciate you giving me a link and then telling me it's inaccurate, thereby making me look like an idiot.

But you didn't even need to go to the archive. The site goes back that far.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-09-10 at 01:08 AM.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Today CBS airs the top SEC weekly in-conference games as well as rivalry games between SEC members and various other conferences; the network shares the rights to SEC conference games with the ESPN family of networks, which also airs the interconference rivalry games when the SEC team is not the home team. CBS has retained its yearly broadcast contracts with the Army-Navy game and the Sun Bowl, as well as its biannual contract with Notre Dame and Navy.

Taken from wiki

10+ Year Old Account
    Because I know what I watched. CBS handled most of the SEC games. But I appreciate you giving me a link and then telling me it's inaccurate, thereby making me look like an idiot.
    Dude... I have no intent of trying to make you look like an idiot. I have absolutely nothing against you and usually enjoy your posts, which is why I'm rather surprised by your responses in this exchange.

I didn't give you a link and then say "no, don't use that, it's inaccurate". I assumed you'd follow through week by week from the starting point I'd provided and browse the full listings for each, but instead you sorted the whole season by conference. Network assignments for the entire season hadn't been posted yet in August, but you looked at the blank column and concluded ESPN didn't cover any SEC games, when in fact they did. I thought I'd offered a decent enough explanation of that simple mistake but you're not hearing it for whatever reason.

If I'd thought any of this would be less than obvious to you I'd have skipped the cached ESPN/wayback link entirely and provided team pages instead. Go look at any of those Wiki team links I posted, or any other teams in the conference that season, or even skip backwards to late 1990s. You'll find that ESPN has indeed regularly televised SEC games. How many SEC games ESPN has televised versus CBS wasn't the issue, it was:

They NEVER play SEC games.
    They have, and do. That's all I'm saying.

---------- Post added 2012-09-09 at 09:09 PM ----------

But you didn't even need to go to the archive. The site goes back that far.
    The site goes back that far but it only gives you a list of results or box scores, not a record of which networks televised which games. That's why I first suggested the archive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude... I have no intent of trying to make you look like an idiot. I have absolutely nothing against you and usually enjoy your posts, which is why I'm rather surprised by your responses in this exchange.

I didn't give you a link and then say "no, don't use that, it's inaccurate". I assumed you'd follow through week by week from the starting point I'd provided and browse the full listings for each, but instead you sorted the whole season by conference. Network assignments for the entire season hadn't been posted yet in August, but you looked at the blank column and concluded ESPN didn't cover any SEC games, when in fact they did. I thought I'd offered a decent enough explanation of that simple mistake but you're not hearing it for whatever reason.
    Well, the "never" was an exaggeration, of course they air games. I still stand by what I said though, that CBS airs the majority of them.

Sorry.

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    FSN? Shouldn't that be FSS, for Fox Sports South, or am I thinking of something else?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Obviously someone who doesn't actually know SEC football, but <snip>
    You must have failed reading comprehension at some point. Redirect to...

I know I'm not well-versed on college football, and maybe I've missed something mysterious for not keeping up with much of any sport in the last few years, <snip>
    Try actually reading what someone writes before you reply again. Actually, no, don't bother wasting the keyboard time - I won't even see it. Consider yourself ignored; and the next time you respond to someone, read first and then respond with some intelligence.

/facepalm
    Last edited by Invictus9001; 2012-09-10 at 04:26 AM. Reason: because I said so :P

#FlightIsImportant

15+ Year Old Account
    Try actually reading what someone writes before you reply again. Actually, no, don't bother wasting the keyboard time - I won't even see it. Consider yourself ignored; and the next time you respond to someone, read first and then respond with some intelligence.

/facepalm
    Then if you don't know much about college football, as you have already said, why would you even make a statement like that in the first place? Why flame a program when you know virtually nothing about it? Perhaps you should follow your own advice, and read up on a subject first and then respond with some intelligence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Finangus View Post
    Then if you don't know much about college football, as you have already said, why would you even make a statement like that in the first place? Why flame a program when you know virtually nothing about it? Perhaps you should follow your own advice, and read up on a subject first and then respond with some intelligence.
    Perhaps because I didn't need to spell out the fact that I
    [a] used to live in TN, saw how crap the program was at the time
    [b] actually prefer pro sports, with a very small interest in anything else
    [c] didn't consider it so much of a flame as more a statement based on their utter failure to perform, as evidenced by their prior W/L records.
    [d] made the mistake of thinking that it was ok to share an opinion. Apparently it no longer is here, or in most venues, if you're not in the "majority".

You've also joined the list. Welcome to it. /farewell
    Have at the mutual-admiration society.

#FlightIsImportant

Why does Texas Tech still only get 2 votes in the AP? Makes me a sad red raider.

Wreck 'Em

15+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps because I didn't need to spell out the fact that I
    [a] used to live in TN, saw how crap the program was at the time
    [b] actually prefer pro sports, with a very small interest in anything else
    [c] didn't consider it so much of a flame as more a statement based on their utter failure to perform, as evidenced by their prior W/L records.
    [d] made the mistake of thinking that it was ok to share an opinion. Apparently it no longer is here, or in most venues, if you're not in the "majority".

You've also joined the list. Welcome to it. /farewell
    Have at the mutual-admiration society.
    Trash on a football program, someone tells you you're wrong, you throw a temper tantrum and act like a douchbag drama queen. Seriously, don't even post in the first place if you can't even be bothered to act semi-mature.
    Last edited by Finangus; 2012-09-10 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Finangus View Post
    Trash on a football program, someone tells you you're wrong, you throw a temper tantrum and act like a douchbag drama queen. Seriously, don't even post in the first place if you can't even be bothered to act semi-mature.
    Like I said, and was right, he's a guy who has absolutely no clue what he is talking about. He used to live in TN, well guess what, I live an hour outside of Nashville if anyone would know it would be me. If he was such a pro sports nut you would of thought he would of figured that out by the big giant Nashville Predators logo.

I have no issue with him having an opinion, or anyone else for that matter, but at least when you have one, let it be based on some small amount of fact. I'm guessing he probably doesn't know that Vanderbilt has actually been to a bowl game in recent years.

Oddly enough I'm not even a Vandy fan, I'm a Razorback fan, but being they are so close you can't help but keep an eye on them. I see Vandy as the SEC's favorite little brother, everyone would be just about as happy to see them win the SEC Championship as we would to see our own team win it.

---------- Post added 2012-09-11 at 12:23 PM ----------

You must have failed reading comprehension at some point. Redirect to...

/facepalm
    Just for the record, the post I quoted did not have this in it, so why you would think I saw it or even read it is beyond me.

10+ Year Old Account
    FSN? Shouldn't that be FSS, for Fox Sports South, or am I thinking of something else?
    "FSN" is still used as an umbrella term for whatever regional Fox affiliates qualify. Trying to keep up with the various broadcast provisions is enough to make my brain hurt.

"Games on the SEC's Fox Sports South broadcast are on some satellite channels such as Fox Sports South, Sports South, and Sunshine Sports and have varied cable distribution. Local Fox Sports cable affiliates have the option to preempt that network's coverage with the Fox Sports South broadcast.

Games covered by the SEC's Fox Sports South package will also be shown on ESPN GamePlan. Fox Sports South coverage will be available in the SEC region on satellite, but ESPN GamePlan will be blacked out. Outside the SEC region, ESPN GamePlan will be available, but channels that are showing the Fox Sports South broadcast may be blacked out."

I think the easy way to look at this is: Fox is practically guaranteed to air a trickle of the least appealing SEC games, whatever's not already claimed by CBS, ESPN, and the SEC network.

I think its only fitting that Notre Dame might join the ACC. An over rated horrible team living in the past joining a bad Conference that doesnt deserve a BCS bid. That will be a perfect marriage. Hell the Big East is even worse than the ACC and when the Big Least champ played the ACC champ it was a blow out so that just shows even more how bad the conference is. Seriously I would be giddy if my schedule every year was Maryland, Wake Forest, Duke, UVA, Miami (yes the suck now), BC, Georgie Tech.....holy crap do they even have a decent team other than Florida State? Virginia Tech are choke artists and Clemson is a joke.

Also if Florida State goes undefeated and wins a horrible conference are they better than a 1 loss Alabama or a 1 loss USC or a 1 loss Oregon or a 1 loss Michigan State? I mean does winning a bad conference mean you are good or is it more of a "everyone is so bad that someone has to win" thing
    Last edited by Alilei32; 2012-09-12 at 10:39 PM.

FSU noles all the way!!

I may be a little biased seeing as I've been here for a few years now... haha

But really, the ACC is a joke right now.