Thread: NCAA football

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Well our season is over least we went out with a win and beat the shit out of Purdue.
    too bad you couldn't play defense or win against a team that has a defense...

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    What a day of football. I didn't see the Auburn/Alabama but what an insane finish. Same with the OSU/Michigan game. That fight was epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Projali View Post
    Gold painted helmets.
    Epic statement. Lol.

Auburn won't jump this week. They will jump if they beat Mizzou. Mizzou might jump if they win as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    I wouldn't be to sure about that. It's very possible AUB will jump Ohio ST, and almost everyone is predicting it ( the people who do this for a living ). You have to remember Big 10 outside of Mich ST is a joke, and that 1 point win today only hurts them. It's going to be very interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, why are Ohio ST fans the most classless fan base out of all the sport teams? I literally have yet to meet a Buckeye fan who doesn't act like THIS.
    You probably meet a lot of WalMart Buckeye fans who have no affiliation with school at all. I was visting some family in Grand Rapids, Michigan for Thanksgiving this week and we went out for breakfast before heading back to Columbus today. I proudly wore my jersey today and saw another gentleman wearing his Ohio State jersey, and excitedly yelled "O-H!" He gave me a perplexed smile and said "Yeah." Clearly he had no idea to respond with "I-O."

I'm a student there and can say, with certainty, that all of my friends are realistic about our team. OSU is probably not the best team in the country, but I believe if you give Urban Meyer a month to prepare, these Buckeyes can give any team a game. They were double digit underdogs against The U in 2003, and if they make the title game will likely be double digit underdogs again. As much as you dislike our team, it takes a lot to win 24 straight college football games. You see many teams, like Oregon or Alabama, slip up and drop one over the course of the season. Bottom line is, if they are undefeated, OSU deserves a chance.
    Last edited by verhoef3; 2013-12-01 at 04:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by verhoef3 View Post
    You probably meet a lot of WalMart Buckeye fans who have no affiliation with school at all. I was visting some family in Grand Rapids, Michigan for Thanksgiving this week and we went out for breakfast before heading back to Columbus today. I proudly wore my jersey today and saw another gentleman wearing his Ohio State jersey, and excitedly yelled "O-H!" He gave me a perplexed smile and said "Yeah." Clearly he had no idea to respond with "I-O."

I'm a student there and can say, with certainty, that all of my friends are realistic about our team. OSU is probably not the best team in the country, but I believe if you give Urban Meyer a month to prepare, these Buckeyes can give any team a game. They were double digit underdogs against The U in 2003, and if they make the title game will likely be double digit underdogs again. As much as you dislike our team, it takes a lot to win 24 straight college football games. You see many teams, like Oregon or Alabama, slip up and drop one over the course of the season. Bottom line is, if they are undefeated, OSU deserves a chance.
    Excellently put, +1 internets for you, sir.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hard to disagree with this analysis.

So what's next for NCG contention? Who has games yet to play? I know Auburn and Mizzou are still to come.
    Last edited by cubby; 2013-12-01 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Hard to disagree with this analysis.

So what's next for NCG contention? Who has games yet to play? I know Auburn and Mizzou are still to come.
    If Ohio State become the new #2 and loses against MSU, it will likely be Auburn vs. FSU. If FSU somehow loses against Duke in the ACC Title game and OSU wins, I can see Alabama vs OSU. Alabama won't play for the SEC championship with the loss to Auburn, so it will end with 1 loss. As an OSU fan, I want Alabama. If we are gonna win, I want to dethrone the SEC. It may be a bit hollow if we don't defeat the best team from the best conference in the country. It would get really interesting if OSU, FSU, AND Auburn lost. Would likely be between Mizzou and Alabama would playing for it. That would be a pretty crazy weekend!
    Last edited by verhoef3; 2013-12-01 at 04:53 AM.

What a depressing night for me. Clemson fan. Them turnovers.... smh.

End of the Iron Bowl was absolutely crazy.

Don't worry, OSU plays a team that is ranked in the double digits to close out their season, it should be good enough for that #1 spot in the polls

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    too bad you couldn't play defense or win against a team that has a defense...
    I know IU's defense couldn't stop a High School team. I hope they get some decent defensive recruits next year it might be an interesting season.

15+ Year Old Account
    Buckeye here (alum). I was contentedly expecting an Bama-FSU Nat'l Championship game and a OSU-Stanford Rose Bowl myself, but now that that happened, I think we're probably going to be playing for the Championship if the Bucks take care of business against Sparty. On Sportscenter, they showed the OSU bus reacting to the Tide's fall, and if they're happy, I'm happy. Little worried about what the Noles can do to our secondary, obviously. They look pretty damn good (assuming Winston isn't in jail). On the other hand, I think FSU's signature wins (Miami and Clemson) were over over-rated opponents. (How Clemson got back up to #6 after being exposed 51-14 is beyond me.)

Hats off to Auburn, that was a gutsy game and a very memorable win. Tough loss for Bama, that'll sting for a while. I'll be pulling for Mizzou for SEC Champs next Saturday (and next season, when Maty Mauk gets the reins full-time).

Quote Originally Posted by Mnevis View Post
    Buckeye here (alum). I was contentedly expecting an Bama-FSU Nat'l Championship game and a OSU-Stanford Rose Bowl myself, but now that that happened, I think we're probably going to be playing for the Championship if the Bucks take care of business against Sparty. On Sportscenter, they showed the OSU bus reacting to the Tide's fall, and if they're happy, I'm happy. Little worried about what the Noles can do to our secondary, obviously. They look pretty damn good (assuming Winston isn't in jail). On the other hand, I think FSU's signature wins (Miami and Clemson) were over over-rated opponents. (How Clemson got back up to #6 after being exposed 51-14 is beyond me.)

Hats off to Auburn, that was a gutsy game and a very memorable win. Tough loss for Bama, that'll sting for a while. I'll be pulling for Mizzou for SEC Champs next Saturday (and next season, when Maty Mauk gets the reins full-time).
    I don't see OSU staying ahead of Auburn if Auburn wins in the SEC Title game, unless you absolutely curbstomp MSU which I really doubt will happen judging by your play of late.

If Mizzou wins, though, I don't see them jumping OSU because Mizzou's loss is a lot worse than Auburn's loss.

- - - Updated - - -

They've got some reaction videos on Sportscenter now. The hurt in the Bama fan's video was delicious.

How's this scenario for you. FSU loses to Duke. OSU loses to MSU. Title game is now probably SEC winner vs Bama.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Ohio State become the new #2 and loses against MSU, it will likely be Auburn vs. FSU. If FSU somehow loses against Duke in the ACC Title game and OSU wins, I can see Alabama vs OSU. Alabama won't play for the SEC championship with the loss to Auburn, so it will end with 1 loss. As an OSU fan, I want Alabama. If we are gonna win, I want to dethrone the SEC. It may be a bit hollow if we don't defeat the best team from the best conference in the country. It would get really interesting if OSU, FSU, AND Auburn lost. Would likely be between Mizzou and Alabama would playing for it. That would be a pretty crazy weekend!
    I dont care if FSU, and OSU, both lose. Alabama should NOT get in and it would be a bullshit travesty if they do. They didnt even win their division let alone their conference. The National Championship should always be between 2 conference winners until they finally do a reasonable playoff system.

Im sick of the polls being a popularity contest making sure only big name schools go regardless of how they play. ID rather they go strictly by computer rankings to take peoples opinions out of it since most just vote for their favorite team or alma mater instead of who is actually best. Alabama should be at least 6 now but they will be 4 because of the same BS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if FSU, and OSU, both lose. Alabama should NOT get in and it would be a bullshit travesty if they do. They didnt even win their division let alone their conference. The National Championship should always be between 2 conference winners until they finally do a reasonable playoff system.

Im sick of the polls being a popularity contest making sure only big name schools go regardless of how they play. ID rather they go strictly by computer rankings to take peoples opinions out of it since most just vote for their favorite team or alma mater instead of who is actually best. Alabama should be at least 6 now but they will be 4 because of the same BS.
    First, I'll ask again, because it went unanswered. What if, hypothetically, the two best teams in the country, really were in the same division in the same conference. Should that not mean they should play for the national title?

Second, you do realize that the unsatisfying four-team playoff that is coming next year will remove the computers from the equation. Hell, at the end of the 2011 season, some voters wanted to vote LSU ahead of Alabama EVEN IF THEY LOST in the BCS title game, because they won the regular season. The computers are the actual problem here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    First no. It happened in sports before that the two best team might be in the same division or conference. Guess what they earned there way by winning, not getting voted in. I like college football because its football but the NC game is basically figure skating and the SEC is german judge that votes all crazy like.
    I'm not asking the question a third time.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Two. Until they completely revamp the college football setup, including moving teams down to D2 aznd getting rid of the stupid bowl system nothing is going to change. The teams with the most money behind them will always have an edge.
    Never mind.

AP poll has FSU, OSU, and Auburn as the top three. Sounds about right. Bama at 4, Missouri at 5. The fun will begin if Missouri beats Auburn, which I think is a pretty good possibility.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Detroit columnist voted OSU #8 in AP poll this week:

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/...medium=twitter

Has no impact on BCS but still.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    First, I'll ask again, because it went unanswered. What if, hypothetically, the two best teams in the country, really were in the same division in the same conference. Should that not mean they should play for the national title?

Second, you do realize that the unsatisfying four-team playoff that is coming next year will remove the computers from the equation. Hell, at the end of the 2011 season, some voters wanted to vote LSU ahead of Alabama EVEN IF THEY LOST in the BCS title game, because they won the regular season. The computers are the actual problem here.
    Obviously they cant be both the best since one of them lost. That means there was someone better, unless their only loss was to the number 1 team

BCS championship Game of 2012 'Bama #2 LSU #1 - Bama won 21-0 Both from the SEC-West Division and LSU beat 'Bama 9-6 early in the year.

so if Florida State heads to the title game does that mean Duke gets the Orange Bowl for the ACC? That would be a joke.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    If Mizzou wins, though, I don't see them jumping OSU because Mizzou's loss is a lot worse than Auburn's loss.
    how? their only loss is to 10-2 SC and Auburn's loss is to a 9-3 LSU

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I did answer your question, I asked how we were going to determine who these hypothetical 2 best teams are, from the same conference/division. You're not going to find too many people outside of this hypothetical conference who will be willing to accept that a team who couldn't even win their own division is a top 2 team in the country, for the most part. And so I'll respond again that no, a team that can't even win its own division should not be allowed to play for the national title.

There's really no hypothetical scenario here, you're clearly referencing Alabama and Auburn but trying to couch it as a hypothetical, but that's my response.

EDIT: And to the guy referencing the 'Bama/LSU rematch, that was completely bogus. That was a rematch that shouldn't have happened and no one outside of the SEC wanted to see. I don't even care that 'Bama won the rematch, it was the worst NC I've ever had the displeasure of watching. I'd rather watch my Buckeyes get blasted by Florida and LSU back to back from those championships than sit through that game again.
    Last edited by Xargoth6634; 2013-12-01 at 08:28 PM.