Thread: NCAA football

GL vs any SEC team ND

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Well, congrats to Notre Dame for getting into the title game. I still think it's lame they can get in by playing one less game, but you can't deny they played a tough schedule and deserve it.

But at this point I'm not so sure I care. Sportscenter just did a piece on the financial benefits to having Notre Dame in the game, and which SEC team would be better off playing against them. So, what? Is this not about the best team anymore? Can these teams just buy their way into the title? I'd almost want them to put the SEC champ and Florida in there, just as a big "fuck you" to big business.

By the way, for those of you complaining about SEC not playing tough schedules, Florida played four top twelve teams. So...yeah....
    Can we really say it was a tough schedule? Honestly their most convincing win in my book was Oklahoma (and it was a quality win). Barely edging my Boilers(who are downright awful lol) and escaping mercifully past Pitt and BYU

The B1G is unquestionably awful this year(not big east of ACC bad, but....still sorta train wreck bad), with Ohio State being the only noteworthy and they can't even compete for anything.

Do they deserve to be in the title game? yeah its a challenge going perfect thus far, but can we convincingly say this was a "tough schedule"?

And yeah. the SEC may be overrated at times, but the way they play each other, the winner of that conference deserves a title shot every year so long as the finish 1 loss or better. It is historically the toughest conference to play in, and it really hasnt changed since.
    Last edited by Logonov; 2012-11-25 at 06:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

10+ Year Old Account
    I still think it's lame they can get in by playing one less game....
    Me too. Same could have been said for K-State had they won out and remained atop the standings, as the Big XII is in the unfortunate position of not having a CCG until they get their numbers back to full strength. It's happened a bunch in the past too, since the BCS got started when only the SEC and Big XII played CCGs. Here's a list of teams who made it to the NC without one:

'98 FSU
    '99 Virginia Tech
    '99 FSU
    '00 FSU
    '01 Miami
    '01 Nebraska
    '02 Ohio State
    '02 Miami
    '03 Oklahoma
    '04 USC (vacated)
    '05 USC
    '06 Ohio State
    '07 Ohio State
    '10 Oregon
    '11 Alabama

Not defending Notre Dame in any way here, I just wish the same standards had been in place for everyone throughout the history of the BCS. That list is also a reminder of what a joke this whole thing has been. I'd like to think that it'll get better with a selection committee in place, but surely some scenario will come up in the future that'll make them look stupid too.

But at this point I'm not so sure I care. Sportscenter just did a piece on the financial benefits to having Notre Dame in the game, and which SEC team would be better off playing against them. So, what? Is this not about the best team anymore? Can these teams just buy their way into the title? I'd almost want them to put the SEC champ and Florida in there, just as a big "fuck you" to big business.
    No matter how many times they've tweaked the BCS formula or rules since its inception, ND has always had special privileges from the start. Drives me nuts. They need to join a conference or GTFO.
    Last edited by Sayl; 2012-11-25 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Missed a couple teams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, USC announced Lane Kiffin will not hold a press conference this week.

Also some Cougar fan decked Austin Seferian-Jenkins after the Apple Cup when the fans rushed the field. Lots of drama going on about that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Well grats OSU on an undefeated season. Just imagine if the piece of shit OSU president and AD hadn't dragged their feet on self-sanctioning their school. They could have done the one year bowl ban last year, which the NCAA more than likely would have said was enough, and then played in the National Championship this year. OOPS.
    Yeah, it's a shame. I mean, I'm happy for our team, excited for Urban Meyer's future here, but watching the end of the ND game, I couldn't help but think that I really would have liked to see undefeated OSU vs undefeated ND for the Nat'l Championship. TBH, most of the season, I was just like, whatever: It's Alabama's year (and I still think they're the strongest team in the country), so no great loss. But, OSU did manage to win them all, and that's a pretty big achievement. Sour Grapes, I guess, but I would have liked to see an SEC-FREE BCS game, lol.

How about that Johnny Manziel? That kid can play some football.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    People want SEC teams to play better out of conference games I say no until other conferences play better in conference games. People want the SEC to play the hardest in conference schedule and hard out of conference games. I mean I would love to play against 90 percent of the Pac 12,Big ten,Big 12, and 100 percent of the Big east and ACC conference schedule every year.

10+ Year Old Account
    ESPN is doing their very best to make sports less appealing to those that love them and slightly more appealing to those that hate them. Very sad to see a once great network slide down the tube like ESPN has done since being bought out by Disney. All about money now. If you want any decent sports' reporting you must go outside of ESPN. Sportscenter went from the greatest show on TV to absolute garbage.

This is what happens when you try to cater sports coverage to the nation as a whole. They were not happy having a strangle hold on sports fans alone. They felt like they had to make ESPN attractive to everyone. Look at Sportsnation. God I hate that show. ESPN turned into a tabloid!

The radio and internet have the real sports journalists. They, like all good writers, are forced out of this mouth-breathing society.

Hey, at least Ohio State is banned. They make ND's schedule look tough.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Auburn fired their head coach. Not that this should surprise anybody...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Chiz gets to make $7.5 million next season doing nothing lol. Man, how fast and how far Auburn has fallen.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Auburn is always up and down do you remember the year they got cheated out of the NC game by going undefeated then did so/so for a couple of years then was good again idk they will be back I am still waiting on Tennessee to be good again.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 10:30 PM ----------

New BCS poll is out 6 of the 10 is from the SEC lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    No, especially not when his former team Iowa State fired him as that should say something. Chizik got carried by Newton and Fairley.

Can someone tell me why the hell they have rankings in college football when the best teams dont even get to go to the best bowls. 6 SEC teams ranked in the top 10 yet 4 will get left out. People say its to keep one conference from playing in all the BCS bowls...so what. Maybe if the rest of the country learned how to play football and not load up their scedule with cupcakes (ACC and Big Least Im looking at you) then we wouldnt have so many SEC teams in the top 10 every year. I guess being ranked top 10 means you suck these days seeing how a team from the Big Least gets to go to a BCS bowl even though NONE of them are even ranked. Does anyone else see something terribly wrong with being able to play in a BCS bowl when you arent even ranked in the BCS standings? If they accept their bowl bid to the Orange bowl, then whatever school goes the president should be arrested for grand larceny. He is purposely stealing big bowl money from a more deserving school by going when they know they dont deserve to. The students at those schools know they shouldnt be going unless they are totally brain dead zombie idiots.

There are 5 BCS bowls (Fiesta, Orange, Sugar, Rose Bowl, and the National Title) Thats means only the top 10 teams should play in them. 1 and 2 obviously for the title then 3-10 play in the other 4 BCS bowls. Why cant they just do that? Its fair to everyone. If you are good enough to be in the top 10 after the season then you play in the best bowl games. Im sick of my team finishing in the top 10 again, despite playing in the SEC, which might as well be the 3rd division of the NFL, and being passed over for a loser unranked scrub school or someone not even in the top 15 because of a lame ass 2 team per conference rule. If you play your way into the top 10 that should mean you earn a BCS berth. Winning a conference full of schools so horrible that some highschools could probably beat them doesnt mean you are good it means everyone else is just horrible.

---------- Post added 2012-11-26 at 07:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    People want SEC teams to play better out of conference games I say no until other conferences play better in conference games. People want the SEC to play the hardest in conference schedule and hard out of conference games. I mean I would love to play against 90 percent of the Pac 12,Big ten,Big 12, and 100 percent of the Big east and ACC conference schedule every year.
    Agree. Whats the point of playing better out of conference games when the best teams are in your own conference. Look at the ACC. This weekend 4 ACC teams played SEC teams and all of them lost. Its obvious no one can stand up to us and the fact we are undefeated in national title games proves it. I mean if we played a tougher out of conference scehdule it would look something like this

@South Carolina
    Georgia
    LSU
    @Alabama
    @A&M
    Florida
    @Ohio State
    Oklahoma
    Oregon
    @Nebraska
    Florida State
    @Texas

Seriously WTFBBQ. Do you honestly think anyone other than an NFL team could play that scedule and hope to come out better than .500?
    Last edited by Dabrix32; 2012-11-27 at 12:41 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Can someone tell me why the hell they have rankings in college football when the best teams dont even get to go to the best bowls. 6 SEC teams ranked in the top 10 yet 4 will get left out. People say its to keep one conference from playing in all the BCS bowls...so what. Maybe if the rest of the country learned how to play football and not load up their scedule with cupcakes (ACC and Big Least Im looking at you) then we wouldnt have so many SEC teams in the top 10 every year. I guess being ranked top 10 means you suck these days seeing how a team from the Big Least gets to go to a BCS bowl even though NONE of them are even ranked. Does anyone else see something terribly wrong with being able to play in a BCS bowl when you arent even ranked in the BCS standings? If they accept their bowl bid to the Orange bowl, then whatever school goes the president should be arrested for grand larceny. He is purposely stealing big bowl money from a more deserving school by going when they know they dont deserve to. The students at those schools know they shouldnt be going unless they are totally brain dead zombie idiots.

There are 5 BCS bowls (Fiesta, Orange, Sugar, Rose Bowl, and the National Title) Thats means only the top 10 teams should play in them. 1 and 2 obviously for the title then 3-10 play in the other 4 BCS bowls. Why cant they just do that? Its fair to everyone. If you are good enough to be in the top 10 after the season then you play in the best bowl games. Im sick of my team finishing in the top 10 again, despite playing in the SEC, which might as well be the 3rd division of the NFL, and being passed over for a loser unranked scrub school or someone not even in the top 15 because of a lame ass 2 team per conference rule. If you play your way into the top 10 that should mean you earn a BCS berth. Winning a conference full of schools so horrible that some highschools could probably beat them doesnt mean you are good it means everyone else is just horrible.
    The BCS bowls with their conference affiliations ONLY survive because of the auto bids. The BCS pays those conferences millions of dollars in bowl money (and millions more in luxury cruises and a number of other perks that should be felonies) to support their system (which funnels the BCS millions instead of the school so why the fuck it even makes sense to exist is beyond anyone's understanding). If the conferences weren't having their pockets lined with BCS bowl money we would have had a playoff a decade ago. It isn't stealing money, it is the system and it is the only reason the system continues to exist at all. There is literally not a single good reason for the current system or their upcoming hybrid system to exist. The NCAA operates the playoffs in every single one of their other sports including the Men's basketball tournament that literally nets them billions. Why couldn't they operate a football one on their own rather than essentially paying the BCS millions to participate in their bowl games that the fans already don't go to?
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-11-27 at 12:54 AM.

Exactly so teams that dont deserve to go should be charged with grand larceny because they are robbing from schools that deserve to go. Please someone tell me how Rutgers should play in a BCS bowl over South Carolina, Texas A&M, LSU, Florida or Georgia/Bama because 4 of those teams will get fisted and wont play in a BCS bowl even though all are ranked top 10. If all the Wild Card teams can come from the same division in the NFL then all the BCS games should be able to be played by more than 2 teams from a conference.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the more obvious solution is to dismantle the Big East in football.

Alabama is going to slaughter Georgia and move onto the BCS game and just embarrass Notre Dame. This statement is coming from a devout LSU fan. I can't hate 'Bama anymore than I do, lol. But seriously, Alabama knows what it's like to get embarrassed this year, Texas A &M, and Saban will not let them ever live that down. Alabama is going to play like there's no tomorrow and Georgia and Notre Dame are in their way. I wouldn't want to be in Alabama's way right now, and yet, those 2 teams are.

15+ Year Old Account
    Exactly so teams that dont deserve to go should be charged with grand larceny because they are robbing from schools that deserve to go. Please someone tell me how Rutgers should play in a BCS bowl over South Carolina, Texas A&M, LSU, Florida or Georgia/Bama because 4 of those teams will get fisted and wont play in a BCS bowl even though all are ranked top 10. If all the Wild Card teams can come from the same division in the NFL then all the BCS games should be able to be played by more than 2 teams from a conference.
    Rutgers/Louisville shouldn't play in a BCS game. That isn't going to change though until the BCS is 100% dead and it won't die until the schools stop supporting it.

And really, you are trying to charge the wrong people with larceny. If you want to charge people in relation to the Big East it should be:
    -The BCS for charging schools millions to play in the games thanks to forced ticket buys that the schools can't sell because their fans aren't traveling to the West Coast to watch Syracuse play Northwestern. They are also forced to pay face price for the tickets despite the tickets going for pennies on Stubhub
    -The Big East commissioner for having been wined and dined by the BCS for years into supporting the system
    -Every non-Big East champ school going to a bowl. Nearly every single school LOSES money going to a bowl that isn't a BCS bowl. On top of the forced ticket buy I mentioned, schools have to travel their entire team and coaching staff, sometimes band and cheerleaders if they are feeling generous, lodging, food, and other expenses. All to play in a bowl that pays out $500,000-$1,000,000 to each team. The ADs take the bowl bids because somehow going to bowls makes it look like they are performing at their job. They are idiots.
    -The BCS bowl participant. They lose most of the money they make from the BCS bowl as soon as they get it. Most conferences (all?) take every single payout that each of their schools receives and then divides it evenly to the schools. The BCS bowl team that gets the big payout ends up losing 60-70% of it right off the top before expenses are even considered.

10+ Year Old Account
    A whole lot of sense
    Thankfully this BCS bs is gone soon. Then we will really start seeing SEC dominance. If the playoff were here today it would be 3/4 SEC teams.

Rest of the country needs to learn how to play football or stop wasting the SEC's time and just drop to division 2 or whatever they call themselves nowadays.

And in the SEC we share. We do not have teams like Texas. Maybe other conferences like the Big 12 should stop treating the rest of the conference like bastard stepchildren.
    Last edited by Roose; 2012-11-27 at 01:45 AM.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Thankfully this BCS bs is gone soon. Then we will really start seeing SEC dominance. If the playoff were here today it would be 3/4 SEC teams.

Rest of the country needs to learn how to play football or stop wasting the SEC's time and just drop to division 2 or whatever they call themselves nowadays.

And in the SEC we share. We do not have teams like Texas. Maybe other conferences like the Big 12 should stop treating the rest of the conference like bastard stepchildren.
    It lead to the downfall of the old SWC, and it will cause the demise of the Big 12 eventually too. I'm not real sure why they all let Texas run over them, school ain't won a thing in years that really mattered.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post

The BCS isn't gone at all. Instead the debate is shifted to who is the third and fourth seed rather than the current who is #2 argument every year. The BCS still controls every game, conferences will still have automatic BCS games. Nothing will change except we will get an additional game and the BCS will make an additional 9 figures.

As for the SEC, I wouldn't get too far ahead of yourself. Personally, I don't think they are that good or as deep as the polls have them. Sure they are better than the Big 10 and are probably the best conference, but half the SEC is a total joke just like half of every other conference. And for such a good conference, their bowl record certainly doesn't reflect it.
    2011-12: 6-3, 4th best win % behind the Big 12, MAC, and C-USA. Yes, we'll ignore the MAC and C-USE
    2010-11: 5-5

They have arguably the best teams at the top (although it is tough to tell last year when they somehow managed to get a bullshit rematch in the championship, something denied to OSU and Michigan a couple years ago when they were undoubtedly the top two teams (and yes OSU did blow that Championship game to Tebow and the SEC Florida Gators lol). The SEC has just as many joke teams in the conference as everyone else though, so feel free to relegate half your conference to D2 as well as everyone else.

---------- Post added 2012-11-26 at 09:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    It lead to the downfall of the old SWC, and it will cause the demise of the Big 12 eventually too. I'm not real sure why they all let Texas run over them, school ain't won a thing in years that really mattered.
    Neither had Notre Dame prior to this year, but Notre Dame, Texas, etc. print money. That is why they have their own deals, own networks, etc. Its the same argument people make against revenue sharing in pro sports. Why should the Yankees subsidize the Royals and Marlins who have cheap owners who just take that revenue sharing money and line their own pockets rather than field a good franchise. Why should Texas give its massive revenue to Iowa State?