How can I tell if my case or MoBo has a speaker?

I have no idea how to tell if my case or motherboard has a speaker to hear POST beeps. How do I tell? I have a ASUS M5A88-V EVO AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard on the way and an NZXT Gamma Black case. Do I need to order a little speaker or not? Thank you for the help!

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Speaker for POST messages is (should be) in the CASE. All you have to do - is to attach its cable to corresponding port on mobo (along with power/reset buttons and power/hdd leds).

Most cases sold in last five years or so do not come with speakers anymore.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    The last couple of Asus boards I've had came with a little speaker in the box, it looked like this:

Deleted
    If I'm looking at the correct board, the SPEAKER connector is located in the bottom right part of the motherboard, where the other front I/O panel connectors are located.

And yes, with this board you do need a separate speaker. I think most manufacturers have it as an optional feature. My older P55 board has a speaker on the board itself, but I haven't seen that since.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-11-18 at 01:10 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also modern mobos have a feature to use your actual speakers (attached to on-board sound-out) - so you really do not need that antique speaker at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    Also modern mobos have a feature to use your actual speakers (attached to on-board sound-out) - so you really do not need that antique speaker at all.
    yeah, but who uses onboard.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    yeah, but who uses onboard.
    onboard sound isn't exactly terrible anymore. pales in comparison to discreet, but it's not awful either.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard