10+ Year Old Account

Making money with Alchemy? Even viable?

Ok so I have add alchemy for awhile on one of my characters. My main character actually. A druid-Resto/Feral. And I have maxed herbalism as well. I'm currently specced in transmute for my guild.

But I just can't seem to find anything that will give me a steady source of income?

What gives?

I make more money farming the herbs and selling them then making the potions and selling them.

It's not a ton of extra money, but I get ~400% profit by transmuting Life to Air everyday.

You just have to look at it in terms of how much money you put in to how much you get out.

- Buy a stack of V. Life.
    - Use your Living Elements CD in Uldum every day to get Volatile Air + extras
    - Sell on AH.

V. Life are 5g each on my realm and V. Air are 16g. That's more than a 300% profit.

/thread
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament
    You would think that after all these years people would have realized that the people at Blizzard aren't sorcerors and are hindered by technology just like the rest of us mortals.
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcall
    I will never understand why so many people who quit can't just QUIT and move on, and instead feel the need to come tell everyone about it, as if they just won the $100 million jackpot.

as above people said volatiles are a perfectly fine way of making viable money from alchemy, the real money comes when you are able to pick up the raw materials cheap and sell them at the right time.
    Eg on my server Carnelians are generally around 20-22 but sometimes drop to around 12-15g when this happens i generally just buy them all, like 300 or so depending on the farmers and then transmute them all to infernoes, wait for wednesday night and bam big inferno sale prices sometimes over 100g!
    You need to realise that its almost impossible to make gold with many professions just buying and flipping (in big quantities) but if you can abuse the times that the AH peaks you will be on your way to make a fortune.
    Into MoP beta, working on new gold blog, watch this space!

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome! Never thought of that, volatile lifes on my server are 5g and volatile air is 30g. So sounds good.

High Overlord Loriginalediscipline's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    if you have a jc you can buy ele stack or pyr stack to prospect. then with alchemy you x mute carnelian into red gem, you sell them cut. same thing for the orange and purple... green yellow blue dont sell very good ( on my server ).

if you dont have a jc... get one asap.
    lor

It depends on the price of flasks on your server.

At the beggining of Cataclysm, flasks at AH were around ~150g on my server, many people reached gold cap just from that.

Prices of flask/potions etc change daily on my server (highly populated one), so sometimes waiting 12h can get you additional +1k gold or more (ofc it depends on the amount you are putting on the AH).
    This kingdom shall fall, and from the ashes shall arise a new order that will shake the very foundations of the world.

Depends on your server, on mine only Random Volatile Element gives any profit. For example - Flasks are -12g to -45g atm for me. :/

Alchemy is one of the best skills to make money with because it takes so little time. I've 3 alchemists and a friend has 8. We actively work on our other skills, but our alchemists are logged in every day to churn out money. It doesn't sound like alot, but you can get a 300+ gold profit per alchemist for about 1 minute of time. If you become a transmute master, you get bonus materials too often.

You can control the transmute...by going go uldum you get air, by vash water, deepholm earth, etc. So you can always get what you want.

When I did Jcing, I actively transmuted both oranges and reds because the sales were strong enough to support it.

Flasks I am less enthused about because of the guild cauldrons reducing the demand to a trickle of what they were before.

If you are really enterprising, you can start saving up for the new recipes. Most are taking a large amount of volatiles. I really like water and air the best. Water is clutch for the 50 int to bracer enchant, which has has really strong sales all through the tier because of the valor bracers.

I gave up on making money with flasks, the market is just so saturated. And that was last expansion, before the alchemy tables. Although, I guess we alchemists shouldn't complain. At least Transmuting is still pretty profitable.
    85 Resto/Ele Shaman, 60 Demon Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Hanyuu View Post
    If you are really enterprising, you can start saving up for the new recipes. Most are taking a large amount of volatiles. I really like water and air the best. Water is clutch for the 50 int to bracer enchant, which has has really strong sales all through the tier because of the valor bracers.
    will there be new recipes that are bought with volatiles?

Quote Originally Posted by roostah View Post
    will there be new recipes that are bought with volatiles?
    I think it is in referal to the expected materials for the new enchants, now sure if they have been data mined yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Living elements is great in terms of how much profit you can make, even if you're buying the volatile lifes from the AH.
    To the point where i've ended up with 5 transmuters, and depending on whether epic gems become transmuteable at any point next patch, i'll probbaly level a few more alchemists
    Kaga, raid leader of Shafted, Ragnaros-EU.

ive resorted to logging out all my Alchemists in Uldum until 4.3 hits, not much else to do other that a 3 minute login and macro each transmute sitting on about 1.2-1.5k volatiles on each

Deleted
    I'm a potion master and I think I make some nice money with it. I don't have an herbalist anymore, but the mats don't cost that much if you buy them at the right price.

I make mostly Volcanic Potions and Potions of Concentration, I only buy Azshara's Veil when it's around 1.5g, and Cinderbloom when it's 80-90 Silver. Volcanic Potions sell for a good 8g a piece, and I sell about 3 stacks of them every time I post some on the AH, Concentrations are usually at around 13g a piece, but this week it's quite low, only 8.6g. I don't really look at much gold I make per day, but I've gotten quite a few upgrades in the last 2 raids, spent around 3k in enchants and such, and after a day, I'm 1.5k gold up.

So Alchemy still has the potential to be a good money maker, if you do it right.

Making money with professions, generally, is not viable anymore. Most of us have a character with every profession maxxed out.

Blizz can easily improve this and create a genuine, dynamic economy again by making recipes valuable again. They should be farmed in different ways, and not easy to get. That way, when your achemist has a valuable recipe, you can actually sell it. People will seek you out. If every recipe can be obtained by every 500 level alchemist through a trainer, what value is there?

---------- Post added 2011-11-25 at 04:33 PM ----------

nobody can make consistent income anymore with any professions. They are only there so that you can reach the level that allows you to improve your toons stats. As long as every level 500 alchemist can get all the recipes you have from a trainer, there is no real value to your abilities. =(

Usually you can make a ton of money by using your transmute CD on the respective high-end metal at the beginning of an expansion, when people are gunning for craftable epics to have an edge. Afterwards, not so much.
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.

Deleted
    I was able to get 10g gold profit for each flask a week ago (not counting procs, mat prices are 30g), but atm it is a 30s loss per flask. At this moment Im just stacking Int Flasks because they will probably sell for 50-60g when 4.3 hits the live servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Depends on your server, on mine only Random Volatile Element gives any profit. For example - Flasks are -12g to -45g atm for me. :/
    Holy shit, I want to buy your flasks and sell them on my realm!

Op, EVERY proffession has money making options, depending on the server. I will say, though, that Alchemy and Enchanting has the highest potential. You can get a ton of herbs, any kind, in a very, very short period of time. Volatile Life is extremely common, and you can transmute it all into lots of Air once a day. Flasks and potions are used up like hotcakes. You can transmute gems. ect, ect
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Deleted
    Making money with alchemy is viable.
    I have a potion master and a transmute master. i found that the one with trans mastery is best used in a combo with JC and enchanting.
    Buy shitloads of stacks of obsidium/elementium ore, prospect it and send all carnelians to the trans master, cut the blue gems and make hessonite/jasper/nightstone rings with the green gems. Send the rings to you enchanter and disenchant them. Its always a profit if the ore is not to expensive.'

This made me shitloads of G and i have a lot of inferno rubies saved up for 4.3.

Downside is that it takes quite some time to prospect and disenchant.