Buying Old games (that are still sealed) worth it?

I've been looking at ebay and I've come across old games on mainly Nintendo 64 that are sealed in plastic and boxed unopened. But they range in price from $50 to $150 each.

Having a sealed version of banjoo kazooie or zelda would bring back a pretty huge nostalgia hit. Wish old stuff like this wasn't so rare. And why the hell did I always throw everything away (box/manuals) when I bought a new game :/

Deleted
    Seems awfully expensive and pointless buying mint condition only to play it, especially whhenn you cann get iitt ffor $5

They are considered collectables, hence the huge price tag. If you really wanna play it id advise you to snip. If you want the real deal however, there is no other way but to buy them.

---------- Post added 2011-11-22 at 12:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Seems awfully expensive and pointless buying mint condition only to play it, especially whhenn you cann get iitt ffor $5
    Some people like to collect things like that. I know several people who get the Special or Collectable Editions of any new-release game, just for the extra stuff and for the sake of having it.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-11-22 at 01:38 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I'd hope the point would be to not play it and just keep it as a collector's item. It would seem rather silly to pay that much money for a brand new game when you could likely find a used one that would be in nearly the same condition but unsealed for far less. Personally, I don't think it is worth it at all. There are other avenues you can take to play those sort of games like buying them far cheaper used. If you just want a look at me shelf item, then sure it is worth it, but aside from that no, it isn't really worth it at all to buy a new version of an old game at such a high cost.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're a collector, sure it'll be worth it. If you just want to play it, then no, you're better of getting it no box, no manuals etc. Personally, I kept all my boxes/manuals. I also open the old boxed games with the plastic still covering the box. Obviously, sliced open just enough of the plastic to open the box lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I'd hope the point would be to not play it and just keep it as a collector's item. It would seem rather silly to pay that much money for a brand new game when you could likely find a used one that would be in nearly the same condition but unsealed for far less. Personally, I don't think it is worth it at all. There are other avenues you can take to play those sort of games like buying them far cheaper used. If you just want a look at me shelf item, then sure it is worth it, but aside from that no, it isn't really worth it at all to buy a new version of an old game at such a high cost.

Exactly

I mean if you want to hold onto them for like another 40-50 years to be actually worth something. But if your planning on playing them it seems kind of pointless. Some games back then are worth lots of money though. Theres this old game store in the town over and they have tons of cool older games and they tell me about all the rare ones. Like apparently one I played all day for SNES goes for like 50 bucks. Its Ninja Turtles; turtles in time. I loved that game! Can never find it these days though.

And apparently a black Label Final Fantasy VII is worth like $150! O.o

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it's worth it. It might be cool to have an original, unopened old game for a while, but that feeling will fade away quite fast. Then it's just another game in your collection.

Deleted
    seems like a nice way to throw money away if you have too much. If you want it buy it. Better yet invest in precious metals and cash in when the world goes to shit. People will still want an iphone even if their family is starving. Banjo Kazooie, maybe not.

From a collector standpoint id say yes if you were buying it to play it id say just go with a used copy in good condition.

Check this out...a factory nintendo sealed copy of Goldeneye unopened. $477 AUD lol.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/N64-GAME-...item415ef2e4ed