Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I'm actually talking more about being ''over sensitive'' and hypocrits, and then pulling the ''that's rude'' or ''that is offensive'' card..

For example, in this Swedish class i was taking, there was this girl that wouldn't stop chatting with her friend... So when she finally did, she asked a question to our swedish professor, that he had answered two times already, like 5 or 10 minutes ago.

I didn't let the professor answer, instead i cut in front of him and said : You were chatting the whole time, if you payed attention you'd know the answer by now. Don't make us lose even more time than we already are if you do not care about paying attention.

She said i was rude and that she would complain to the Director of the language school...

See where i'm going?

I guess trying not to offend others is fine. Problem comes up when we try not to offend one group more than another. As an example - it's waaaaaay easier to be rude/offensive/mean to Christian on media than to Muslim. And when we choose who we offend less, we automatically approve offending somebody more.

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    I guess trying not to offend others is fine. Problem comes up when we try not to offend one group more than another. As an example - it's waaaaaay easier to be rude/offensive/mean to Christian on media than to Muslim. And when we choose who we offend less, we automatically approve offending somebody more.
    Yes, this is wrong, it's the same about gender disparity issues.

This should describe pretty well how I feel about this matter.

George Carlin put it best.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Billy tells it how it is.

@Arteous and gypsybob : Nice videos, liked them =)

I had a teacher that would always say offense is never given it is always taken. I don't remember if he was quoting someone but I think it is pretty true for the most part, I mean some people still can say stuff that is hard not to be offended by but most people just are offended to argue it seems like to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteWolf View Post
    People need to stop linking that guy.

I also think it's hilarious that this same guy was crying over the view ladies laughing at the guy who lost his dick. Clearly he was offended.
    You clearly didn't watch the entire video because he obviously states being offended is fine.

Also there is in fact a difference between being offended by something and stating a very severe case of socially accepted hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Malkhor View Post
    You clearly didn't watch the entire video because he obviously states being offended is fine.

Also there is in fact a difference between being offended by something and stating a very severe case of socially accepted hypocrisy.
    Yeah but while it's ''fine'' you shouldn't put it on a pedestal.

Go be offended somewhere else.

10+ Year Old Account
    pretty much how the wold is...sadly...

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No one has a right to not to be offended.

P.S. Non-physical offense is always self-induced. If you are offended by words (for instance) - it's your problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueGender View Post
    Thoughts - stfu.
    u mad bro?

There's a difference between being offensive and publicly humiliating/berating someone - the latter being that some dumbfuck might hear it and take it as a invitation to harass someone who is different.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree pretty much with the sentiments of the original video. People are too easily offended by trivial, meaningless things.

However that should not distract from the fundamental truth that certain things ARE offensive. It is all about balance and perspective. So just as some people need to grow a thicker skin and be more tolerant of others, there are many people who need to learn to be a bit more sensitive/empathic towards other people.

If people in general were more respectful towards others, and thought more about how their actions affect others (and acted accordingly), then this would be a non issue. Sadly what seems to be happening today is that people are too stupid to understand how to co-exist with other human beings and as a result society tries to write a rule-book about what is/isn't accepted as offensive. Such an approach is, of course, doomed to failure, because a lot of it is about context and the individuals involved.

It would be far more constructive to teach people how to think, and then rely on common sense to dictate on a case by case basis what is and isn't offensive.

didnt bother watching the movie when i saw that it stars the same guy who was crying in that video about the guy's penis being bit off.

Quote Originally Posted by herpderpslurp View Post
    didnt bother watching the movie when i saw that it stars the same guy who was crying in that video about the guy's penis being bit off.
    and that's where you make yourself a clown. It's just like saying '' i know nothing about this, and i'm completly ignorant about it, but i'm gonna give my opinion because it's relevant anyway. "

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    and that's where you make yourself a clown. It's just like saying '' i know nothing about this, and i'm completly ignorant about it, but i'm gonna give my opinion because it's relevant anyway. "
    He didn't really give an opinion on the subject, he basically just said "I don't like that guy, I didn't watch the video".

I kinda doubt that he watched the other video, either. It's the only video I've actually watched all the way of this guy.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    P.S. Non-physical offense is always self-induced. If you are offended by words (for instance) - it's your problem.
    I would have to say that this is very foolish notion. Non-physical offense is sometimes self-induced.

When one person insults another person with an intent to cause emotional harm, that is a form of assault. You can't sugar coat it. It is what it is.

People are both social and emotional creatures. We are susceptible to feeling hurt when people say or do certain things against us. That hurt is as real, and has the potential to be just as devastating to the person as if it was a physical assault.

That first reaction of anger, hurt, shame, or fear when someone says something that is intended to "hurt" us is something that is hardwired into our brains before we are even born. It is not something we can change or "switch off". We can learn how to manage those feelings, but we cannot undo them.

And while I would agree that it is important for people to learn how deal with their emotional reactions (for example to a verbal assault), that in no way justifies the assailant.