Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Oh yeah 200 points at 8 years old, i'm sure that kids going to love going to school every day, odd's are he will be a bully for a long while and then fall victom to the "its not okay to be fat" mentality that kids will remind him of probably hourly. Then theres high school where everyone is much more tollerant.............

Quote Originally Posted by DiceDice View Post
    He wanted to make a point that the most important factor in weight loss is calories in < calories out.

He made his point.
    Which means that it's not just bad eating, it's overeating as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    So basically he eats pizza, fried chicken, ice cream, and burgers every day? That's pretty gross

When will people learn that healthy food can taste good. People need to learn how to cook properly...
    Maybe healthy food can taste good to you. You can't speak for the entire world.

Also, it's not just your diet, it's your physical activity. You could eat lots of pizza, fried chicken, ice cream, and burgers, but if you exercised enough to burn off the calories and got the proper vitamin intake, you would be fine. Note that you would need more of some vitamins than a person who didn't so many calories or exercise so much, but others would be relatively untouched.

Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    What you forgot to mention is that he limited his caloric intake to 1800/day and took vitamin supplements.

If he just ate twinkies and doritos to fill up every day, he would have needed a wave tank to support his body's mass.
    That's exactly what he did, in fact. Why do you think he ate them every three hours? He probably didn't feel hungry at all while doing this (except maybe after sleeping) because his blood sugar levels were kept more constant. His diet was actually healthier than most people's because he was getting his calories at a more even rate. The problem with high calorie foods is that people don't wait at all after eating them and eat more. If they were to just weight until they actually digested some of it, they wouldn't eat so much because they wouldn't feel hungry anymore.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2011-11-28 at 07:03 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau
    Also, it's not just your diet, it's your physical activity. You could eat lots of pizza, fried chicken, ice cream, and burgers, but if you exercised enough to burn off the calories and got the proper vitamin intake, you would be fine.
    Exercise is important, but it's not a solution to overeating.
    To burn off a 600 calorie burger you'd need to run about 6 miles. (Give or take)
    That's not very efficient.

Losing weight is like 80% diet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    That's exactly what he did, in fact. Why do you think he ate them every three hours? He probably didn't feel hungry at all while doing this (except maybe after sleeping) because his blood sugar levels were kept more constant. His diet was actually healthier than most people's because he was getting his calories at a more even rate. The problem with high calorie foods is that people don't wait at all after eating them and eat more. If they were to just weight until they actually digested some of it, they wouldn't eat so much because they wouldn't feel hungry anymore.
    If he ate junk food until he was full for every meal, he would have been pounding out 10,000 calories a day. 12 twinkies would finish off his entire 1800-calorie diet for a day.

90% of our problems, diet-wise, come from portion control. The other 10% comes the fact that, for us, eating is usually a luxury rather than a necessity- we eat because we want to, not because we need to.

Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    If he ate junk food until he was full for every meal, he would have been pounding out 10,000 calories a day. 12 twinkies would finish off his entire 1800-calorie diet for a day.

90% of our problems, diet-wise, come from portion control. The other 10% comes the fact that, for us, eating is usually a luxury rather than a necessity- we eat because we want to, not because we need to.
    He didn't eat meals, he ate micromeals. Did you even read anything I said? Or anything besides "twinkies 1800 calories" in the article? You WILL feel full doing what he did. The problem comes from overeating, not from where you get your calories. The reason people overeat is because they don't care or don't have the sense not to. If they were to just wait after eating some of their food they would realize they weren't hungry anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by DiceDice View Post
    Exercise is important, but it's not a solution to overeating.
    To burn off a 600 calorie burger you'd need to run about 6 miles. (Give or take)
    That's not very efficient.

Losing weight is like 80% diet.
    It doesn't need to be efficient. You also can't make the claim that it's 80% diet because it is highly dependent on the person. It might not seem practical for you to run 6 miles every day, but to a guy who truly loves burgers that much, it might be.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2011-11-28 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    It is a bizarre case, i agree, but ultimately the mother caused undue harm to her child by stuffing his face until he was heavier than most adult males. That is clearly wrong. As long as they don't start to do this en mass, and it is saved only for the most extreme cases, then it is for the grater good I guess. The more worrying thing though here, isn't about personal freedoms, but just how bad a nations obesity is getting that this even has to be considered...
    It is sad because in another 20 or so years the average weight will gone up by 20 pounds or even more. 8 year old children weighing 90-110 pounds will be the average. If we want to break the cycle, some rights and freedoms have to be taken away.

You should be permanently forbidden to have a child if you fail that hard at parenting. It's not the parents desicion if they accept having a fat child or not, its their obligation to keep their child as healthy as humanly possible. Anything less, and you are a sloppy excuse of a guardian, neglecting the child's right to grow up as a happy and positive person.

Deleted
    the only reason I linked the twinkie professor is simply because I always hear the same thing:
    "you got to eat healthy, vegetables and no precooked food otherwise there is no way in hell that you can drop weight! even eating a fried chicken will make you fat!"

obviously, it won't. the twinkie professor (even with his vitamin supplements) just showed that it's possible to lose weight as long as you're following a strict calorie plan, i.e you reduce the size of your meals, it's not that very important WHAT you eat but rather HOW MUCH of it you eat.

I am not arguing nutritional gains or anything like that, I am merely arguing body weight.
    there are a lot (will actually dig one up for the sake of it later) studies that shows that people drop weight when on a controlled calorie intake no matter the food they eat.

that said, fast food stereotypically has a large amounts of calories right from the start.

what is sad for this child is that absolutely no-one is stopping him.
    they keep supplying him with a tremendous amount of food.

Idiocracy, here we come!

Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    the only reason I linked the twinkie professor is simply because I always hear the same thing:
    "you got to eat healthy, vegetables and no precooked food otherwise there is no way in hell that you can drop weight! even eating a fried chicken will make you fat!"

obviously, it won't. the twinkie professor (even with his vitamin supplements) just showed that it's possible to lose weight as long as you're following a strict calorie plan, i.e you reduce the size of your meals, it's not that very important WHAT you eat but rather HOW MUCH of it you eat.

I am not arguing nutritional gains or anything like that, I am merely arguing body weight.
    there are a lot (will actually dig one up for the sake of it later) studies that shows that people drop weight when on a controlled calorie intake no matter the food they eat.

that said, fast food stereotypically has a large amounts of calories right from the start.

what is sad for this child is that absolutely no-one is stopping him.
    they keep supplying him with a tremendous amount of food.
    It is true that the bottom line is calorie intake vs. what you burn. But on the other hand it is much easier to over eat junk food.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Animorpheus View Post
    It basically amounts to child abuse. Look after your child's health or have them taken off you.
    Feeding your child does not = beating your child. No matter how you look at it.
    They're not force-feeding him.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    But on the other hand it is much easier to over eat junk food.
    I take it your mother's not a very good cook.
    but if you meant it in the way of "junk food has higher calories per gram than "normal food"" then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    "letting your child play with loaded guns isn't beating your child no matter the way you look at it. they're not forcing him to do it"

does it sound better or worse when put like that?
    there is a reason parents are there, and for an eight year old it's most likely not "so he can make his own decisions based in carefully weighing the options like any other normal sane adult".

The mother certainly didn't know how to raise a child. Moreover, when "taking care" of her boy she might had harmed him in nearly lethal way (this is HUGE obesity and it really can be harmful).

The government took the child away from her to let him, well, become a bit healthier, and for mother to think a bit about her behavior. Perhaps she might prove she had changed and get her son back. If she wont, It's a better way.

But they're not feeding him right either. A slow death is still a death by the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let me tell you guys a little something where i live in Los Angeles.. DOUBLE CHEESBURGER = .99 cents / plain salad = 5.99.. they give me my burger near instantly or perhaps a minute. While I wait for my salad 3-5 minutes. If I go to a Sizzlers where they have a salad bar. Buffet: 6.99 all you can stuff your face and drink. If you want the salad bar, add 3.99 to the price of the buffet. I go to the market, and a head of lettuce is 1.99 for some juicy iceburg lettuce. And 40 slices of yellow cheese is 1.29. sack of mini carrots to munch on = 2.99, Bag of Doritos .79 cents.. I can make a whole grocery list for you guys. Is there something wrong here? Or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Illisar View Post
    B: Healthy foods are expensive as hell, and thats the real issue I believe. If it's 5X cheaper to eat McDonald's and other shitty foods than fruits and veggies, guess what the majority are going to buy? The cheap shit. Solution? Lower the prices on the healthy foods or increase taxes on high carbs/high sat fat items or especially items with High Fructose Corn Syrup.
    Unless you live in Antarctica then this statement is the biggest crock I have ever heard. A 66g chocolate bar will run you about 1.25 where I live at a convenience store. Bananas at the supermarket, less than a dollar... PER POUND.

So it's rediculously cheaper to give your child a banana as a treat.

The average meal at McDonalds here runs roughly 7-8 dollars. You can get 20 lbs of fresh potatoes for about 4 dollars.

Fresh vegetables, also rediculously cheap. A whole head of iceberg lettuce, well if you pay more than 2 bucks for it here(even in the winter when it has to be trucked in from california) you probably got ripped off.

A 4 kilogram bulk box of boneless, skinless chicken breasts cost me about 33 bucks the other night (and I didn't even go to the cheapest possible store to get that). 4 kilograms of chicken will make a ton of meals.

Durum Wheat Pasta...that stuff is really cheap too, and made with enriched flour.

Loaves of bread, if you buy the kind that isn't pre-sliced you can still walk away with a decent sized loaf of bread for under a dollar.

The only place where FAST food becomes more convenient is that it's fast. It's several hundred percent more expensive than actually preparing your own meals though.

So the real issue is that you have too many idiot parents who would rather sit around playing farmville than hop in the kitchen and make a proper meal for their kids, they also end up complaining that life is too expensive when in reality if you take the time to shop around, and do prep work you can feed your child a full, healthy meal for pennies a plate.

but if you meant it in the way of "junk food has higher calories per gram than "normal food"" then yes.
    http://www.kipaddotta.com/sounds/tro...ouble-hole.wma

whenever people start talking about 'eating the right kinds of food', this sketch always comes to mind.

I take it your mother's not a very good cook.
    She is actually a pretty good cook, but I don't live with her so I cook for myself or sometimes my girl cooks for me.

I actually miss her cooking >.<

What I meant was that I will feel full quicker when eating fruit / vegetables when compared to other items with the same number of calories.
    Last edited by Purlina; 2011-11-28 at 08:06 PM.

It's neglect.

She's neglecting to feed him properly, she's just buying him food and letting him eat an unhealthy amount because she simply doesn't care. Nobody honestly can say his parent(s) cares when he weighs 200 lbs, and she just buys him more food, and doesn't try to help him lose weight.
    Last edited by crylo; 2011-11-28 at 08:15 PM.