Page 1 of 2
LastLast

After weekend beta, I'm hooked

It was a wonderful experience, the community was wonderful, everyone was very helpful, I asked a question in GEN chat regarding when I can get a lightsaber and immediately I had whispers telling me its around lvl 10 and its the Forge quest.

The game was not buggy at all, I experienced ZERO bugs, no freezes, no glitches nothing. I did however noticed the shadows on the ground pixelated but more on that later.

I'm currently at level 10 almost 11, I'm really enjoying the game, tried out the BG/Warzones and I liked them too, the MurderBall game was fun because I saw the Huts running it. And I'm sure others have pointed this out, the Voice acting in game is just so well done, often times its quite whimsical and funny especially during the Murderball game.

Only issues I had was lag but I know that on my end, I need to get a better provider.

So after trying this out I finally went to Gamestop and preordered my copy.

Another element I enjoyed, (I know this is standard beta testing fare) I really enjoyed filling out those FEEDBACk surveys. I think it was nice finally someone cared about what I had to say someone wanted my input on the game. I came form playing WOW for 5 years, Running a 1000 toon guild, leading 6-7 raids a week, and my reward was in the end was getting my accounted Banned because someone hacked it, (and yes my only fault was lax account security measures) Ultimately I don't feel like blizzard is loyal to its customers anymore, I showed my loyalty to them for 5 years and they reciprocated me none in return.

people are complaining about graphical issues with SWTOR like lack of AA, my only response is, its not mainly their fault, when new games are released, its up to the NVIDIA and ATI to tailor their drivers to run them optimally. But my comp just chewed up the game like it was nothing! AMD 3.0ghz Quad core, GTX 550 TI, 4 gig Ram.

All in all I'm very happy with SWTOR, it has a huge potential to draw in Casuals as well as the hardcore players, there is plenty to do if you are easy going and don't want to spend 5 hours a night, and plenty of challenges if you do want to go HARD!

I'm gonna miss my RED Light saber when Beta is over, (yes some how I got a red Cyrstal and Modded my sabe ro to have the SITH color) I can't wait til the 20th of Dec, hopefully I get that saber back!

WoW betas(been in 3 of them so far) always have feedback forms as well. So do tickets responses. Your account will likely get suspended/banned if/when it gets hacked on SW TOR, hope you look into your security issues.

Other than that, glad you are happy with the game, haven't had a chance to try it out myself yet. The only detraction I see with SWTOR is that it's new so will need lots of polish over the years and that it is Star Wars, which is offputting for lots of people that I know at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    WoW betas(been in 3 of them so far) always have feedback forms as well. So do tickets responses. Your account will likely get suspended/banned if/when it gets hacked on SW TOR, hope you look into your security issues.

Other than that, glad you are happy with the game, haven't had a chance to try it out myself yet. The only detraction I see with SWTOR is that it's new so will need lots of polish over the years and that it is Star Wars, which is offputting for lots of people that I know at least.
    UM no Bioware will do a better job investigating the hack and they will do a better job of communicating what has occurred and take the side of the players as an ally in the matter instead of the adversary.

Star Wars is off putting? thats one of the most successful name brands in the whole WORLD, right up there with COKE and mcDondalds? What drugs are you on? the game seems polished enough, albeit I'm only level 10 but for someone whos experienced wow for so long I didn't find any issues what so ever with SWTOR.

My point is I know WOW OH TRUST ME I KNOW WOW, and I KNOW MMO's SWTOR is as good as it gets!

SWTOR should be huge unless you've been living under a rock, all 6 episodes of SW will be released in 3D the next couple of years, so expect a whole new generation of gamers and fans to join the FRAY!

I'm more or less of the same mindset as the OP. The Beta for this was just a teaser, and it got me really interested.

Personally, I enjoy WoW, I will continue playing WoW... but I can't deny that SW:TOR has some really cool game mechanics. And light sabers. And it lets my character force-choke or shove a light saber into people's faces as a conversation choice.

Definitely a fan of SW:TOR now.
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nurabsal View Post
    on an aside, i think Bane Falcon might be my hero
    2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.

I leveled to 17 and got to the point where I got my ship.

I really enjoyed it. The storyline was good, yes it was really buggy (lawl 2 inch tall Satele), but I thought the story was well developed, the game was just the right difficulty, and it felt like I had many things to do.

Now my complaints:

-ZOMG THE WALKING.... I haven't had to spend so much time walking since FFXI (pre-chocobo) or that first trek in vanilla from Org to TB. That really sucked.
    -Solo game + group.... This really felt like a single-player game that occasionally had a quick 2 minute group to kill one guy, then you're back to solo. I'm not sure that builds a good community
    -Light/Dark choices... Playing enough previous ToR I KINDA understood that choosing the bottom option = evil, choosing the top option = good. However I'd like to see this simplified a bit. Was it KoTOR or Mass Effect that colored the options red or blue? I think it was ME, but I really liked that design. It allowed me to know what would happen if I chose a particular option. I found myself occasionally getting Dark Side points on my Light character and Light Side points on my Sith, and since this is a MMO not a single-player I can't reload and choose differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert View Post
    -Light/Dark choices... Playing enough previous ToR I KINDA understood that choosing the bottom option = evil, choosing the top option = good. However I'd like to see this simplified a bit. Was it KoTOR or Mass Effect that colored the options red or blue? I think it was ME, but I really liked that design. It allowed me to know what would happen if I chose a particular option. I found myself occasionally getting Dark Side points on my Light character and Light Side points on my Sith, and since this is a MMO not a single-player I can't reload and choose differently.
    Choices that actually give point have an icon in the center, either a white star or black triangle that tell you what they give.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

I found myself occasionally getting Dark Side points on my Light character and Light Side points on my Sith, and since this is a MMO not a single-player I can't reload and choose differently.
    Actually, if you press ESC before the conversation is over, you go out of it and can start it again, if you want to re-do your choices.

Quote Originally Posted by nogard64 View Post
    UM no Bioware will do a better job investigating the hack and they will do a better job of communicating what has occurred and take the side of the players as an ally in the matter instead of the adversary.

Star Wars is off putting? thats one of the most successful name brands in the whole WORLD, right up there with COKE and mcDondalds? What drugs are you on? the game seems polished enough, albeit I'm only level 10 but for someone whos experienced wow for so long I didn't find any issues what so ever with SWTOR.

My point is I know WOW OH TRUST ME I KNOW WOW, and I KNOW MMO's SWTOR is as good as it gets!

SWTOR should be huge unless you've been living under a rock, all 6 episodes of SW will be released in 3D the next couple of years, so expect a whole new generation of gamers and fans to join the FRAY!
    Your first comment is an assumption and the accounts are going to be managed by EA.(the horror!)

Star Wars is a successful name brand, of movies and toys. The adult Star Wars games historically do not fare as well, as the LEGO Star Wars series has the largest sales, you can see who the brand caters to.

It is off putting to a large amount of people I know that don't really care for sci-fi in general, whereas medieval-fantasy has a lot more fans in the adult gaming world, apples and oranges I suppose.

I will likely try the game and I do enjoy Star Wars, but I don't think it is as good as it gets. Hopefully they polish the game for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    Choices that actually give point have an icon in the center, either a white star or black triangle that tell you what they give.
    Did they? I sure didn't see it. If it really was there, they should make it more prominent. I still like the ME idea of coloring the choice though.

I leveled to 17 and got to the point where I got my ship.

I really enjoyed it. The storyline was good, yes it was really buggy (lawl 2 inch tall Satele), but I thought the story was well developed, the game was just the right difficulty, and it felt like I had many things to do.

Now my complaints:

-ZOMG THE WALKING.... I haven't had to spend so much time walking since FFXI (pre-chocobo) or that first trek in vanilla from Org to TB. That really sucked.
    -Solo game + group.... This really felt like a single-player game that occasionally had a quick 2 minute group to kill one guy, then you're back to solo. I'm not sure that builds a good community
    hey you're from Frostmane? Isn't that server so DEAD! LOL it wasn't the case when I was running the show there haha. I liked the light and dark choice, I picked up a Dark Side saber and I couldn't use it, but I was able to take out the red crystal and modded my saber with it, people were like WHOA how did you get that? LOL

I love the potential and possibilities of the game, I would love to see a 40V40 Warzone battle like old AV in wow. I hope there will be some epic 25 man 40 man raids, battling huge bosses like a Bobba fett type of character in phases so you would have to take out his SLave 1 first then him. or a 40 man raid on some nasty SITH lord force throwing the whole senate seats at your raid! Maybe eveb guild battles in spaceships against another guild. Like I said I can't wait to see what else they have to offer, especially at MAx level End game material. because just like WOW we all know the game doesn't really start until max level.

---------- Post added 2011-11-28 at 07:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post

It is off putting to a large amount of people I know that don't really care for sci-fi in general, whereas medieval-fantasy has a lot more fans in the adult gaming world, apples and oranges I suppose.
    funny you say that because I find the medieval-fantasy crap more off-putting than Justin Bieber in a cross dressing cheerleading outfit! From DAY one of wow I couldn't stand the swords and magic and dragon slaying bullcrap! But my friends pressured me to try it and got me into it and eventually it was them who helped me build a strong guild and helped me invest so much in the game. But IMO opinion, Sci Fi nerds has always been higher on the totem pole than the medieval unicorn riding D AND D fantasy nerds! But you are right its really just a matter of opinion.

Deleted
    Of course you couldn't find any bugs in the 1-10 content, everyone and their dog played that, the broken stuff starts after that.
    After my 5th Huttball-game, I disabled the sounds. The announcer was cool at first, but then I just wanted to hit him in the face with a brick.
    Also, you have no proof that they will do a better job handling the tickets, and just because starwars is widely known, it does not mean that people like it.

#1 (walking) it does suck at the begining, at least you get sprint at 14, and you can use your 'quick travel' to ANY bind point you have visited. i used mine after every set of chain quest to get back to the hub. As for WoW vanilla, that had SO MUCH MORE walking(at least for Alli) since you didnt get slow mount till 40.

#2 (groups)i felt the same my first time in beta, but this last beta i had a few guildies on the server to run with. we ended up grouping for so much after the origin world. lots of heroic quest, the flashpoints and just reg questing. you get a XP bonus for grouping in quest, not a penalty like WoW. When more people figure that out you will see a lot more grouping.

#3 (LSvDS) I have to completely disagree with you. i felt the fact that if you choose what you thought was the right choice, and it turned out to be the opposite LS/DS you thought made it much more immersive. Dont worry about a few LS/DS points, they washout by the time you get endgame, and then you can just do some diplomacy missions to get what you want.

As for graphics, just my personal opinion, but when you get to Taris and run around questing your jaw drops. The most amazing scenery i've seen in an MMO. Makes me happy i spent the coin for a nice graphics card.
    Im just here till SWTOR launch.

Quote Originally Posted by lifram View Post
    Of course you couldn't find any bugs in the 1-10 content, everyone and their dog played that, the broken stuff starts after that.
    After my 5th Huttball-game, I disabled the sounds. The announcer was cool at first, but then I just wanted to hit him in the face with a brick.
    Also, you have no proof that they will do a better job handling the tickets, and just because starwars is widely known, it does not mean that people like it.
    well even if I don't know how they handled the ticket, neither do you? So my guess is as good as everyone else's. But My bet will be on the side of them being more cautious because they are a new MMO, they will be struggling to increasing and grow their subscriptions that last thing they will do is start banning thousands of subs due to hacks, first few months into the release.

I acknowledged I haven't experienced the game too far into it, but I think there is hope for it, there is promise, every journey has to start with the first step, and so far so good BIOWARE!

Did they? I sure didn't see it. If it really was there, they should make it more prominent. I still like the ME idea of coloring the choice though.

I think you made the same mistake I did, pushing either 1,2 or 3 on the keyboard for your choice. If you actually use the mouse and hoover over the choice then an icon will show in the middle to indicate which points you will receive for that choice.

LOL I can't believe people can complain about walking? the whole point of a RPG is to be immerse in this other world. And if you complain about it I don't believe you are a very smart player. I walk and kill everything in sight because that the quickest way to gain XP and level plus constantly farming and gathering drops and items, at lvl 10 I already amassed over 8500 credits! I don't get people who has to take shortcuts in everything, sometimes in life (in Video games) the best way to play is to savor everything.

Plus isn't flying around and quick travel in Cata one of the complaints about WOW now? People just don't feel connected to the enviroments anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodveinmovies View Post
    I think you made the same mistake I did, pushing either 1,2 or 3 on the keyboard for your choice. If you actually use the mouse and hoover over the choice then an icon will show in the middle to indicate which points you will receive for that choice.
    Oh really? Yes I'm using 1,2,3 keys, I have a razer naga, I can hit numeric keys without ever touching my keyboard, so I never needed to click a choice, I just hit the appropriate button on the side of my mouse, which is essentially a keyboard key. So I want to hover the mouse over the choices? Does that include likeness (or whatever it's called) of your companions too or just LS/DS points?

I've heard good things about SWTOR, and after watching a buddy play it, I don't think I can get into it. That being said, I never liked the original KOTOR games, they bored me to some degree. Must be because I enjoyed the pen and paper Star Wars D20 system far more and was hoping it'd be more like my group's antics.

As far as handling tickets, it really doesn't matter if a game is new or not, that won't really affect how the GMs handle stuff. I remember the GM services being slow as hell back in Vanilla WoW, and if anything, things have improved since then.

Quote Originally Posted by nogard64 View Post
    LOL I can't believe people can complain about walking? the whole point of a RPG is to be immerse in this other world. And if you complain about it I don't believe you are a very smart player. I walk and kill everything in sight because that the quickest way to gain XP and level plus constantly farming and gathering drops and items, at lvl 10 I already amassed over 8500 credits! I don't get people who has to take shortcuts in everything, sometimes in life (in Video games) the best way to play is to savor everything.

Plus isn't flying around and quick travel in Cata one of the complaints about WOW now? People just don't feel connected to the enviroments anymore.
    I'm not talking about walking in a quest area and skipping mobs, I fight every pack I come across too. No I mean "hey run to Senate tower" ok "now run to the other side of the area" ok "now run back to the senate tower" That's what killed me.

I actually enjoy flying mounts, not because they make movement quicker (though that is a plus) but moreso because it gives me the freedom to go wherever I want in the world. I may be an oddball though.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    The problem with that being is that you have to use the mouse to hover the selection to see, you can't use the keyboard to check and that's what I prefer to use to select the numbered options.

I am pretty hooked though, I had fun, I'm at lvl 15 and have stopped so I don't burn myself out on it. The flashpoint, the black talon, was fun, and felt like I was more apart of the mission than the instances I've been in the past.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Oh really? Yes I'm using 1,2,3 keys, I have a razer naga, I can hit numeric keys without ever touching my keyboard, so I never needed to click a choice, I just hit the appropriate button on the side of my mouse, which is essentially a keyboard key. So I want to hover the mouse over the choices? Does that include likeness (or whatever it's called) of your companions too or just LS/DS points?
    I didn't notice anything for companion points but it could have been an oversight on my part.