I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Slow Combat or Non-MMO Players?

I haven't gotten into any betas yet (grumblegrumble ) so I have to rely on watching Youtube and reviewer videos of the game to get the info I want. A lot of the videos, and I mean a lot, show people mousing-clicking their abilities for combat. I really enjoyed 2h Frost in WoW and Rogue melee in Rift and like faster paced combat systems and I am a little concerned as to whether I am seeing that combat is really slow in this game or if it just non-mmo players using a UI they aren't used to seeing?

Thanks ahead of time for any input.

Well, it seems slower no matter what because the Melee have no Auto-Attack. There's also not a lot of Alacrity (Haste), so that probably plays into it as well.

The combat felt like an appropriate speed for making smart decisions with your abilities... although there is/was (?) a general formula for most of the DPS classes.

There are proc-centric builds, though. That would probably help "speed up" the feel.

If you're simply asking if combat in SW:ToR feels slow, then no, it doesn't feel slow to me.

It depends on what class you're playing and at what level. Low levels of course are slow, but as you reach the teens and above some really start to pick up.

Watching videos is always deceiving. Before playing the beta last weekend I thought the same but afterwards I have a different opinion. I find it nicely paced, about on par with WoW really.

The combat is similar to WoW. But I think it is less forgiving in that if you don't know what you are doing in SWTOR it really shows. You just can't spam abilities in a sequence. You have to string them together in a certain way to get the maximum benefit out of them and there is no "rotation" because it depends on how the mobs respond to what you are doing.

I'd compare it to a Tank in WoW that knows what he is doing and how smooth everything looks where a tank that doesn't know what he is doing looks really clunky and awkward.

If you watch vids of ppl using keybinds and que skills they get a fast and smooth moving combat, and ppl that mouse click and not que get laggy staggering animations.

So it should bee realy easy to spot bad melee players by watching their toons combat animations

Deleted
    didnt feel slow to me when i did weekend beta, and i played trooper which is a stand a shoot class

Assassin (rogue) uses an ability probably on 85% of their gcd's (1.5s stock), it didn't feel slow to me at all, slightly slower than a frost dk (since you have no haste early on).

Deleted
    bear in mind, you often have to choose between bursting or sustaining dps. for sustained dps you need to slow down your resource expenditure and weave more free abilities.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you played at the end of WOTLK as a class with full haste gear, then yes it's going to feel a bit slow.

But overall, you have more than enough time to make decisions and can focus on the battlefield more than in wow. I healed with 4 buttons, as well as contributed to damage when able, and it still felt like a lot.

Remember that cover and line of sight play a big role here with all the ranged weapons, and as someone else said there is no auto-attack. You need to have the time to find/use cover, which means you need time. It felt smooth and at times hectic, but never overwhelming. I imagine as I get used to the game I will be able to see more and react better than I do in WoW, and it will definately help the learning curve of new fights to be slower.

There were only two times where I was asked "What just happened?" whereas in heroic wow fights I tend to get asked that a lot more.

R.I.P. YARG

It didn't feel slow to me at all and I played many classes during the Thanksgiving beta weekend.

Deleted
    You have to Remember Beta's are kind of futile, when the beta is done your character is gone. I didn't bind many skill, But when people get the full game and start their chosen main, Then, as I will get more detailed with my binds and how I want the game to control.. Also most of the Videos you have seen are more then liketly from lowish level players So you wouldnt have that many abilities etc to bind..

Also a lot of the stronger abilities make you hit the target 2-3 times inside the GCD instead of just once. If you're just watching numbers it's kind of meh, but if you actually watch your characters animations it's much better.

But even without that for me the combat felt very fluid and paced right.

Deleted
    Also just to add aparantly in the last build tey have done something with the combat that makes it feel less hmm what'a the word.. Slow?

It's a lot more complex and well thought out combat system than wow.
    Partially this has to do with fighting many enemies at one time, and part of it has to do with the nature of cd's and short and long range abilities.
    So when you play, people with skill do a lot better than those without.
    It's not a wow cookie cutter rotation with gear > skill button mash.
    And it's fun!

Honestly I have no idea how wow will survive with this nice combat system, multiple mobs, player housing, Star Wars lore, a real story, actual good phasing, etc., unless Activision starts furiously copycatting all the new innovation Bioware put into this game.

PS. Try a trooper...
    VOTE TRUMP! Make America Great Again!

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing that I will say about the combat system that I absolutely adore is the resource mechanic system. If you properly manage your resource (say heat consumption for your bounty hunter) you will have much more over the length of combat than if you face roll your keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Earenbane View Post
    didnt feel slow to me when i did weekend beta, and i played trooper which is a stand a shoot class
    Actually a trooper can shoot a lot on the move too, which allows you to start shooting at long range, run up closer to use your mid range fire blaster channeling it as you rotate back and forth across the mobs, and then get off a few more shots on some mobs as you run up and hit another with the butt of your gun.... or go play a combat system like wow, stand in one spot and hit 1112111211121112...
    VOTE TRUMP! Make America Great Again!