Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Which physical, social, cultural or professional advantages do you gain from gaming?

Can you react quicker because of shooters-experience? Does online gaming make you a better team player in real life? Do you have more attention for your personal life-progress than others?

Did you develop a certain attitude or certain abilities that you use professionally or in your personal life?
    Last edited by mmoc6167edf366; 2011-12-10 at 10:22 PM.

I gained about 100 or so more pounds than I needed to be as a kid.

you gain the immunity to verbal abuse and in turn you learn how to throw out some of the greatest one liners the world has ever seen

I learned to type. That's a real world skill....

Deleted

I have some pretty stellar reflexes, although my coordination will probably always be terrible.

I have had better feeling for cooperation while i was in military special forces It was mainly due to FPS games.

By being a former raid leader and current raiding team officer, I've learnt a LOT about managing people. Also, I get the opportunity to practice my spoken English by talking to native speakers.

Sadism. At all the 12 year old squeaky kids who scream their throats dry when you own them at the game of your choosing. Be it CoD, HoN, Battlefield, you name it. The squeaky joy never stops giving.

Reflexes, typing, learning how to deal with complete idiots.

Skelington lost what social skills he had left(which he never really had, nor really wanted).
    He is much craftier and has better reflexes/reaction time with no coordination!
    Getting deep into lore whatnot helped ease depression and all of that mumbo and jumbo.

Deleted
    i couldn't say a sentence in english if it weren't for wow propably.

Hmmm. I think 15 years of FPS gave me a sharper reflexes to situations. Real life combat situations might have done that as well. I can't say for sure. Marines made me a better leader which helped for raiding and running a guild. I definitely can't say one made the other better because I just don't know.

I think years of driving games and FPS's made me a better driver. I think the gaming community really helped me realize just how stupid the human population is, effectively lowering my faith in humanity permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Skelington lost what social skills he had left(which he never really had, nor really wanted).
    He is much craftier and has better reflexes/reaction time with no coordination!
    Getting deep into lore whatnot helped ease depression and all of that mumbo and jumbo.
    That seems accurate. Except for the last part, at least. The more I enjoy a video games universe, the more boring/shitty the real world seems, and the more depressed I get. Plus the more I sleep and dream, but that's off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by tanksin the enhance shamy View Post
    you gain the immunity to verbal abuse and in turn you learn how to throw out some of the greatest one liners the world has ever seen
    aaaaaaw yeah totally this

Also just look at Day9 he is awesome and i'm sure if you ask him he will say that he has learned alot that he always carries with him in real life. (which i know he does)
    Asrock Extreme 6 Rev B3 | Core i5-2500k@4.6ghz | 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance | Corsair HX1050W | Intel SSD 510 120gb | 5TB storage space | Gigabyte GTX 580 SLI

Well I've gotta say I've learned I'm one competitive bastard. Gaming taught me this first, which then applied a lot to other parts of my life.

I definitely learned leadership skills from raid leading, which I did a small bit of running weekend runs in a social guild.

It also increased my maths skills. I was never one for simulators because they were usually shit (stuff like rawr), so I used to do my own theorycrafting. That's right, fuck maths homework, I'd be sat there of a week night calculating which trinket is better and showing my work so others could review it. Damn, it was the first practical application of maths I've ever done, and I loved it.

But I think what I have learned most has not so much been from the game itself but rather the people. Damn I have met some of the most interesting, fun and friendly people in the world on wow. And even though I barely play these days, I am still friends with a large amount of them.

It's been one of those experiences that I have just loved, and continue to love. I think gaming definitely gives me a creative outlet, as well as a competitive one (playing a fair bit of SC2 atm). So yeah, gaming rules.

Also, to the guy above me: I fucking love day9. What I love most is that he's a total nerd, and he knows it and everyone knows it, and he's totally happy with that. I just think that's such an awesome thing, to be happy with who you are.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

more than anything, gaming is a way to create social links with people who you would have never otherwise linked up with.

i have my reflexes(Not purely form gaming, but also racing) learned fluid english in a year and i've learned how to manipulate people to think stuff and thereafter take action on my behalf :>

edit: oh also, i NEVER give up. No matter what it is, if there is an equation in math that i don't understand, i will think of it until i find out how to do it, i just can't accept a loss irl.

I think video gaming, ironically enough, helped me become more social and open as it was an outlet to allow me to speak my mind more often than.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess hand-eye coordination improvement, and to ignore idiots.