Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Tank Forums - any interest?

So, like "Tankspot", "Maintankadin" and "TankTelera" we wanted to make some forums specifically for tanking.

I know there are a couple of SWTOR forums that are used by people (excluding here and the official ones) but none that are specifically for tanks (or boss guides) in mind. It'd be really great if everyone who's interested in producing what Tankspot was able to (when it was at its prime, the site has gone fairly off track now) could show some support and say hello, write a topic or two and see where it takes us. Even if they are duplicates of mmo-champ posts (providing that it's from the same author, or with their permission), just so the info doesn't get lost past page 1.

Please remember; these forums aren't even 24 hours old so comments like "lack of content", etc. aren't and shouldn't be applicable. Let's make a great community and have fun clearing SWTOR's content.

Click here for the forums

Thanks for reading,
    Feroxs
    Last edited by Toralin; 2011-12-05 at 08:54 PM.

Deleted
    he is talking about his forums not mmo-champ :P

Since I am going vanguard as my first character, I would use them toralin

10+ Year Old Account
    Registered , will be going healer myself but will pass the link on to guild for the tanks to see.

Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    he is talking about his forums not mmo-champ :P

Since I am going vanguard as my first character, I would use them toralin
    Ya, I read it again and figured it out XD. My point still stands though, role forums would be great for mmoc. But that is for another thread.

I'm interested.
    #TeamTinkers

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the feedback - seeing as I've received such a positive response to the idea (not just here, other places too) I will put a lot of energy into making the forums what they need to be.

Deleted
    Sounds like a good idea, I like the layout of the forums. I will be keeping an eye on it even though I don't plan on playing a tank as my main.

Deleted
    I have registered and added some threads, although i don't like how the Mods need to approve of Threads o.O

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sycthrex View Post
    I have registered and added some threads, although i don't like how the Mods need to approve of Threads o.O

Unless the site takes on elitist jerks terms of posting, I can't see the use.

I'm hoping you manage to dig up some formidable minds like the ones in the EJ community, like electrical engineers and rocket scientists, that can whip up combat math algorithms on a bar napkin after six shots of Wild Turkey (which has happened). However, for that to happen, a combat log would also have to be released, so... We'll see what happens.

I only ever play DPS, ever, in any game I play. With that said, I definitely recognize the value of TankSpot type sites. I used to be a secondary raid leader in WoW, I led the second-string 10 man group through ICC, and I utilized TankSpot frequently to see encounter mechanics in action. I would definitely make use of your site, if it was anywhere close to that quality it would prove an invaluable asset.

Although, since I only play DPS, I'd have to somewhat beseech you to add class forums for DPS builds, gear setups, stat weights, and such as well. I like min-maxing my characters... and I need a theorycrafting site for TOR...

If it's like Maintankadin, sign me up. Tankspot - no thanks. I don't want to sign up to a site that two years down the road is going to make some of their features that were free, now cost. If it just sticks to tanking, not boss guides and all that other crap that Tankspot does, and actually stays on track as a Tanking community, then sure, I'm all for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sycthrex View Post
    That's changed now, it was some default setting for new users that I had missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    If it's like Maintankadin, sign me up. Tankspot - no thanks. I don't want to sign up to a site that two years down the road is going to make some of their features that were free, now cost. If it just sticks to tanking, not boss guides and all that other crap that Tankspot does, and actually stays on track as a Tanking community, then sure, I'm all for it.
    More like Maintankadin - like I said earlier, I don't like where tankspot has gone and I stopped using it a while back.

Is it possible to have the ads be less intrusive? I don't mind ads because I realize you need some way of supporting the site, but I'm not a big fan of adds that are inline with the replies. Ads that are on the sides are considerably better, because it doesn't break up the reading. This is just my opinion and it's possible that others prefer the method you've implemented, in which case, just disregard.

Good luck either way!

Some trooper love would be nice - seems to be quite focused on the Guardians. More Vanguard information would be lovely - statistical break down of each stat and it's worth threat or defensively would be great, you know, like the great Theck provides on Maintankadin :P

I'm interested, I plan to main a Powertech BH for both pve and pvp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deque View Post
    Is it possible to have the ads be less intrusive? I don't mind ads because I realize you need some way of supporting the site, but I'm not a big fan of adds that are inline with the replies. Ads that are on the sides are considerably better, because it doesn't break up the reading. This is just my opinion and it's possible that others prefer the method you've implemented, in which case, just disregard.

Good luck either way!
    Thanks for the feedback; will look into other options and will see what's more aesthetic.

Some trooper love would be nice - seems to be quite focused on the Guardians. More Vanguard information would be lovely - statistical break down of each stat and it's worth threat or defensively would be great, you know, like the great Theck provides on Maintankadin :P
    I haven't had full beta access so I had to chose what to focus on when I could, so to speak. Excluding the one guardian guide that has been posted which isn't mine, 90% of everything else has been done by me.

I guarantee I will definitely be number crunching everything I can once the game is live; but I was hoping other people would be interested in helping/contributing at the start as well - rather than waiting for me to fill it all up by myself ( that's no dig at you at all, just stating ).

------------------------

Whilst I will be playing a Juggernaut, I know others from my guild said they will submitting their own guides (both of the other tank classes), etc. once live hits.

Deleted
    Yeah. As a former paladin, Theck will be forever in my heart!

I can mix up a list for you man, give me some time. I am sure that my fellow tank Traces (also trolling this forum) will have the full list aswell in his Compendium..

Btw - the list of stats and the threat section is compatible with all classes. - I still need to find out when the actual threat calculation is made, most of ToR mechanics is additive, but dont know yet.

The trooper has the best Armor modifiers and the highest base shield chance. (quick list coming until Traces is back from Amsterdam and is revived)

Awesome, I look forward to seeing it

Deleted
    Just out of interest, are you using Wordpress for the frontend of your website?

I'll be playing a Shadow Tank as my main, so definitely going to pay attention to this website.
    And I hope there's more PVP theorycrafting and stuff, as tanking in PVP is very viable in SWTOR, as opposed to that other game