Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by cvasylum View Post
    But I want to be a male vampire princess! Had no idea there were specific rules for RP realms!
    In addition, the RP community has a general etiquette that people are expected to follow. For example, your character can't be invincible while in a fight, your character can't know things you know just because you know them from a narrator's standpoint (see Wowpedia's Guide to Roleplaying section concerning metagaming), or for your character to not be attatched to lore characters in a very direct or intimate way (so you can't for example be the daughter of Kael'Thas or Varian's close personal friend). It's not clever or really even fun to leech off of already-established lore characters. It's more fun to make your own! \o/

I like writing stories and such. And RP here is basically multi-person story telling. That's about it. I don't perform the act ingame though; it's just something that I do on these forums. I'm not into the whole physical RP thing. Too restricting, and boring at that.

It's like making TV rather than just watching it.

Deleted
    I was when I was 10 years old curious about Dungeons and Dragons, that sounded like a such a cool game, then someone said it is roleplaying.. and I thought hmm whats that.. then i joined one night and found out that TO ME it was not fun. It was one thing to run around in the forrest with friend acting like Robin hood and the sheriff of nottingham, but sitting at a table/computer and pretend.. nahh that was not my thing. But it is prven to be very popular, i just dont understand why.

Mod edit: please refrain from using language that can be insulting to other users.
    Last edited by The Madgod; 2011-12-06 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cvasylum View Post
    Not trying to be a troll, but I just don't understand the point of RP. I know it's actually quite common, but I don't understand why people RP, what the point is, or, really, what RPing even is. Anyone care to explain? It's not something I'm putting down, I just know nothing about it and, being the curious person I am, want to know a bit more about it so that I can pick an RP server one of these days, when I know what it is.
    Ask yourself these questions...

Why do you raid ? Why do you PVP ? Why do you quest ?

Simple answer is : Fun .

And I swear to God, I've had more fun in a few months of RPing than in 7 years of PvE/PvP-ing . Focusing on creating original and grammatically correct stories also improves your English.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think you've gotten some good explanations as to what RP is. I think it's defined very differently by different people.

I am also someone who doesn't quite "get it" myself. I am all into playing my character, questing, and when I interact with other players along the way, I speak to them "in character" (ie "hello human- will you be skinning your kills or may I add them to my pack?" ) or whatever, but I don't understand the whole "does anyone want to RP" requests.

I respect that people have a whole back story to their character, but those are also the folks who know and appreciate the whole story and lore. I don't, even 5 years into the game-- I know almost nothing of the lore, but still enjoy play. My realm is an RP realm ( I ended up there because friends were there when we started) though there isn't much happening. I do try to "attend" things just to watch and enjoy- even though I don't "get it", LOL
    [IMG][/IMG]