Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Telling you from my own experience - yes.

I quit WoW last July, after raiding 16 hours a week every week for the 18 months prior. I quit because I was tired of there being nothing else to do in the game besides raid. I was tired of flying mounts and LFD, tired of nerfed content and more and more items on the cash shop.

While SW:TOR has similar endgame to WoW, it approaches it more in a TBC fashion. Also, the leveling will be awesome, so I'm gonna have fun leveling alts, which I never did in WoW.

---------- Post added 2011-12-06 at 02:21 PM ----------

I hate WoW. I like TOR.
    Like and burnt out are 2 separate things.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Crucifiedzor View Post
    ..... You could try out the game Life.

You see, you dont HAVE to play a game whole the time, you could take a break from the computers/whatever.
    Let's all have a moment of silence, for Crucifiedzor, the Better than You has entered the thread.

I've played WoW since day 1 pretty much doing everything until cataclysm, where my interest started to fade, culminating with canceling my WoW sub this fall.

From playing beta, I found SWTOR to bring to the table exactly what was missing from WoW in the recent times. In my opinion, the current version of wow is not an MMORPG, but a semi-anonymous dungeon running simulator with no story, goal or point. The WoW story to me was finished during my first heroic Arthas kill. Starting with ruby sanctum, the story was horrifyingly mediocre and game has turned into a simulator where I would gather a certain number of points every week and then go fight same bosses I did during previous expansions (Nefarian?? Rag?? ZA/ZG??) for no compelling reason. When I played TOR I couldn't help but find exactly what I've been missing from WoW in recent times. It puts RPG back into MMORPG instead of focusing on being a twisted arcade-like dungeon running sim. All while maintaining classic MMO game play and controls.

As a WoW refugee i really look forward to playing swtor.

I suspect that if you are burned out on WoW, it is not entirely because of the typical MMO elements that are causing your boredom. From someone who had played WoW since Vanilla with only a minor break during the Call of the Crusade patch, Cataclysm has been an abysmal experience for me. There's just not enough to do, PvP is completely a worthless activity and the content Blizzard is putting out is recycled at best, awful at worst.

The leveling and pvp in SWTOR is quite enjoyable and nearly all of the classes are balanced and viable. End game will be very similar to WoW of course, but I believe Bioware will do a much better job of providing quality content while expanding on what's already in the game. Give it a shot and I imagine you'll realize just how bad WoW has become, not how bad MMO's are.

Deleted
    tbh, it depends what you're burnt out from?

end game progression raiding? doing dailies? leading a bunch of idiots through raids (that's my reason ^_^) etc etc...

leveling up in SWTOR will be like playing any other RPG, you'll probably enjoy it, get engrossed in the storyline etc etc, even the instances/flashpoints have a nice flow to them especially with group dialogue.

however end game is going to be the same, you'll either run the same lvl50 instances and raids over and over again for gear. So if that's what burnt you out in WoW, it will burn you out in SWTOR too

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apav11 View Post
    Hi guys,

I recently used the scroll of resurrection after haven't playing since August. Over the summer, it was hard to stop playing WoW. Now, it's a chore to stay on without being bored.The way this game feels to me has changed. And it has nothing to do with the patch or anything, I guess I'm truly at the stage of being "burnt out," or the point where I can no longer play this game because I've played every aspect of it too much.

That being said, I am building a new computer within the next few days, and am looking to try SWOTR. I've already spent so much on my rig, if I can avoid spending another $60 that would be great too (if the game will end up like Warhammer Online).

I realize the game uses similar mechanics and features, and it differs the most in story and dialogue; so my question to you guys is: can a person that is burnt out from the repetitive nature of WoW (and it's mechanics) get into SWOTR?
    Yeah, you could. It's similar enough in some cases that you'll feel right at home, but different enough in others to make you want to learn all about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm just going to put this in this one thread and not the other 30 I've seen with this same topic point in it.

Asking a bunch of Star Wars future players if you should play Star Wars is like asking a crack addict if you should try crack.

Now, the question becomes this. Would you ask a crack addict if you should try crack?

Brains : Helping you make logical decisions on your own since...well, I guess that depends on the individual, doesn't it.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

I have watched the Star Wars movies but haven't played any of the games except SWG for 6 months. I own Mass Effect but I didn't play it through since I got tired of the game play, the story didn't really get me either. So I'm not a super Star Wars fan or a BioWare fan. But I love MMORPG's and let me tell you the leveling experience is awesome. Right now it is exactly what I want in future MMO's. So if are looking to have fun, to sit back and enjoy an experience then yes SWTOR is something I am sure you will enjoy when it comes to the leveling.

I don't know about the end game. Yes the overall structure is the same as any MMO that has been made but the key is how it is delivered. I haven't experienced what end game is like and I honestly don't think anyone can give an accurate review since part of the experience is dependent on the live community (i.e. the MMO part).

I think it is totally worth it to go buy it and level 1-50 a couple of times. The leveling part at least is truly what MMORPG fans have been waiting for. If the end game just doesn't deliver then you can always cancel your sub, I don't think you will regret buying and playing through.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Acrimony View Post
    WoW is very much like EQ with...
    I like how people always jump to defense mode at sentences like this even when they aren't being said maliciously.

SWTOR is a lot like WoW in a lot of ways, that is not a bad thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    its laserswords O_o what is there not too love?

Quote Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
    I like how people always jump to defense mode at sentences like this even when they aren't being said maliciously.

SWTOR is a lot like WoW in a lot of ways, that is not a bad thing.
    You would be right if most people didn't use the phrase as a negative one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in the same situation as you are, tired of most MMO's I start (and games in general tbh) after playing too much during my student days.

SWTOR, I really enjoyed during the beta, although it still has that 'new game' feeling of course, don't know how it will be after that disappears. If you're tired of WOW, you might like SWTOR. It's not the second coming like a lot of people would make you believe, but it's good in it's own right, and very casual-friendly which is great for me since I don't have the time for 5 raids a week, or even 3
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

As a SWTOR Beta Tester, I would have to say no. You will not enjoy SWTOR if you are burnt out on WoW. Its general design is exactly like WoW's except without WoW's polish.

If you do enjoy WoW's general design though and enjoyed the tediousness of The Burning Crusade expansion than I would recommend taking a break so your burn out wears off, then try it.
    Last edited by Tragopan; 2011-12-06 at 09:29 AM.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    You would be right if most people didn't use the phrase as a negative one.
    Doesn't take away from the fact that it is VERY similar to wow. It's a good thing for me since that's what I'm looking for, but if you're tired of wow's gameplay, apart from conversations, swtor feels exactly the same. At endgame, you'll still be doing hc's and raids, and of course running circles in kaas city
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Is your dream game a WoW clone with Bioware Star Wars skin?

If so, you are going to love swtor

Quote Originally Posted by apav11 View Post
    Hi guys,

I recently used the scroll of resurrection after haven't playing since August. Over the summer, it was hard to stop playing WoW. Now, it's a chore to stay on without being bored.The way this game feels to me has changed. And it has nothing to do with the patch or anything, I guess I'm truly at the stage of being "burnt out," or the point where I can no longer play this game because I've played every aspect of it too much.

That being said, I am building a new computer within the next few days, and am looking to try SWOTR. I've already spent so much on my rig, if I can avoid spending another $60 that would be great too (if the game will end up like Warhammer Online).

I realize the game uses similar mechanics and features, and it differs the most in story and dialogue; so my question to you guys is: can a person that is burnt out from the repetitive nature of WoW (and it's mechanics) get into SWOTR?
    I doubt it. It may have the whole "story mechanic" thing going for it but the gameplay looks to be almost exactly the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't played WoW for over 6 months now and I can't see any reason to go back. I played swtor in the gen beta and I havent felt this excited about a game since early wow, don't really know why
    SWTOR: Loveray Legacy @ Tomb of Freedon Nadd | Toyboy • Spray • Loveshot • Thrilldrill • Seax • Penetro • Hotgun • Lustro
    FFXIV ARR: Thrill Drill | Odin EU
    • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
    Swtor eyecandy mm-mmmm! :Þ~

After six years of WoW I've been through multiple stages of burnout and still enjoyed the heck out of the two SWTOR beta weekends.

For me, the journey is more than half the fun, levelling and questing is nothing short of delightful in SWTOR, other MMOs I just click through the quest text "yadadyadayada kill ten foozles, NEXT!" with SWTOR I sat paying attention to the dialogue, great writing and super voice acting.

A lot of the conversations made me laugh, good humor in there, especially if you're a bit of a sadist and enjoy being 'delightfully evil'.

On that note - when you go more and more Dark Side your character's physical appearance changes like in the Fable games, it's the little things that all add up.

That and I am completely totally in love with Huttball.

I am really excited about SWTOR and happen to be a former WoW addict/severe WoW burnout victim.

But only you can tell, IMO it's worth the gamble of the box price given the free month included.

SWOTR is a single player MMORPG if you understand what I mean. The way the game is setup makes it feel like you are playing a singleplayer but there are still people playing around with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    SWOTR is a single player MMORPG if you understand what I mean. The way the game is setup makes it feel like you are playing a singleplayer but there are still people playing around with you.
    ¨

You can play it alone if you choose to but grouping is encouraged and I find doing dialogue in a group more fun.
    SWTOR: Loveray Legacy @ Tomb of Freedon Nadd | Toyboy • Spray • Loveshot • Thrilldrill • Seax • Penetro • Hotgun • Lustro
    FFXIV ARR: Thrill Drill | Odin EU
    • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
    Swtor eyecandy mm-mmmm! :Þ~