Poll: Do you want an achievement system in SWTOR?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    You got codex, almost the same thing. End of story.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Hmm, not sure how I missed that - I didn't find such a system. Perhaps I should change the question to 'more extensive' achievement system then, as after having leveled up to 30 I didn't notice a single one. But perhaps that will come with time, or their design choice is to only make meaningful achievements. Or do they just look the same when you 'discover' a codex?
    Keyword : ACHIEVE.

I believe wow is far to easy in it's achievments, I want them to mean something. Think the insane, but on a much lesser scale for most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ap0calypse View Post
    This. I hate it in WoW, do such and such with this boss for this achievement. Grats on 10/20 worthless achievement pts. The points in WoW are completely meaningless and just serve as an epeen measurement (I have more points than you kinda thing). Titles and mounts achievements are ok, but achievements just to get points seems worthless unless those points are meaningful in some way.
    A lot of them where actually challenging and fun to do, preferred the once that required skill to execute the encounter as well as possible over the once that had you do the encounter as wrong as possible though. The points might seem worthless but they are a way to keep score, if there was no points people would simply start counting achieves instead and measure up that way, the problem with WoW's achievement system isn't the system it self (besides all the padding with achieves for things that require no skill nor effort) it's the users of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    A lot of them where actually challenging and fun to do, preferred the once that required skill to execute the encounter as well as possible over the once that had you do the encounter as wrong as possible though. The points might seem worthless but they are a way to keep score, if there was no points people would simply start counting achieves instead and measure up that way, the problem with WoW's achievement system isn't the system it self (besides all the padding with achieves for things that require no skill nor effort) it's the users of it.
    Oh, let's not forget all the achievements that go against the actual objective or effective play! Some of the PvP related achievements for instance is based around being a egotistical maniac in a BG or pure happenstance.

There's some retarded achievements in other places too.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

I don't think there needs to be an achievement system in a game that has as much depth as this one. To me an achievement system symbolizes a developer's lack of initiative to create new and interesting content.

The codes is basically the achievement system

There are so and so many codex unlocks per planet so its technically the same. So many achievements are outright retarded anyway <.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Achievement system broke my dungeon experience in wow. All noobs want to do achivements when im tanking and crap. And i dont give a fuck about those. Usualy i just leave..... U know tank 2 second queues

Good achievements: Enticing players to try out new content or new ways of playing, and/or rewarding skill. For example: Beating bosses in unusual ways. Imposing restraints that create interesting/difficult gameplay situations -- Ravenholm with only the Gravity Gun, anyone?

Neutral achievements: Adding a "ding!" effect to stuff that happens incidentally during normal gameplay. For example: Reached level 10. Got your ship. Equipped your first epic.

Bad achievements: "This is boring, so we'd better incentivize it." For example: Doing just about anything 10, 100, 1000 times.

---

A lot depends on the situation... Take your typical "explore 100% of the zone" achievement. In WoW that's fairly incidental, you just fly over it. In Guild Wars (1), it SUCKS because you end up mindlessly scraping walls, huge un-fun grind. In Rift it's really cool because there's all sorts of secrets, puzzles, and hidden treasure to be found.
    Last edited by Wyrmrider; 2011-12-07 at 04:42 PM.

Tbh dont care much about it.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmrider View Post
    Good achievements: Enticing players to try out new content or new ways of playing, and/or rewarding skill. For example: Beating bosses in unusual ways. Imposing restraints that create interesting/difficult gameplay situations -- Ravenholm with only the Gravity Gun, anyone?

Neutral achievements: Adding a "ding!" effect to stuff that happens incidentally during normal gameplay. For example: Reached level 10. Got your ship. Equipped your first epic.

Bad achievements: "This is boring, so we'd better incentivize it." For example: Doing just about anything 10, 100, 1000 times.

---

A lot depends on the situation... Take your typical "explore 100% of the zone" achievement. In WoW that's fairly incidental, you just fly over it. In Guild Wars (1), it SUCKS because you end up mindlessly scraping walls, huge un-fun grind. In Rift it's really cool because there's all sorts of secrets, puzzles, and hidden treasure to be found.
    I don't really have a problem with the grindy achievements. They're dull, but no game yet really forces you to do them, not even WoW (surprisingly, to me).

What I do have a problem with are the "play like a moron" achievements. Ones for boss kills that aren't the result of good, smooth play or good teamwork, but the result of screwing around and doing something dumb and risky. The trouble is that a lot of bad players are keen to get them, and will pout, whine, or even intentionally cause problems in an attempt to do so. I don't think they add anything to the game (and yes, I do have all of them for WotLK, most of them for Cata), overall, because of the amount of hassle they create. Whereas achievements for playing well, I love. Indeed, I'd kind of love to see some of them extended a bit, because sometimes people get lazy after they get them. I'd call them bad more than grindy ones.

For single-player games like HL2, those are great, of course. But we're talking MMOs here.

I think the other big problem with achievements is that they're not account-wide in most games, and really, the vast majority of them should be, especially if others can see them.

Deleted
    I don't want to see an achievment system in swtor like wow has with the points etc and i feel it's just an illusion of content/time sink. The epen it creates is crazy too,(speaking from realm 1st exp there). I'm not too familiar with the codex system in swtor but i think bioware has codex systems in other games like Da 2 etc and it can be interesting. I would rather them spend time on other types of content.

People in here talking like WoW started chievs.

Remember where WoW got them from...

Deleted
    I don't think there's much to miss.

The achievement system is imo just a lazy carrot on a stick from the developers to keep people playing with minimal effort. Sure, I agree that there are some achievments that are fun but most aren't, take any of the rep grinds in WoW for example. I like their Codex system alot (and always have) though.

I am much more in favour of gaining titles and the like throughout the story. Having warlocks with the Crusader-title has always bugged me in WoW for one.
    Last edited by mmoc64e39b9c60; 2011-12-07 at 06:56 PM.

Deleted
    People in here talking like WoW started chievs.

Remember where WoW got them from...
    People play/played wow so they will use it as a comparison and there is nothing wrong with using it as an example given it is no.1 at the mo. So why don't you just compare swtors one to another game too balance things out

Please no, I want as few completion bars as possible. I want TOR to be a game for me and not another job that I have to pay for. =[