Thread: So I'm torn...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Played WoW 6yrs. From day 27 to just the beginning of this year. Just couldn't do it anymore after Cata. Nufff said. Bought and registered in Aug. Hope I'm early access day one but It's been like Christmas. The waiting I mean. I can't remember the last time Christmas held so much anticipation. I feel young again.

I've been a BioWare fan since Baldur's Gate. I loved that game. At first I took BW with a grain of salt, because making ONE good game doesn't necessarily define you as a developer. Although BG was excellent, what I really wanted to know is, were they going to continue making good games, or were they going to stall out and start making crappier titles? And then Baldur's Gate II came out, followed swiftly by Neverwinter Nights and Knights of the Old Republic. At this point, I was SOLD. Totally convinced that BioWare was obviously an excellent developer. The only games they ever make are games that tailor my gaming preferences flawlessly. To this date, I have played and beaten almost every BioWare game ever made. Most of them more than once. I deeply enjoyed my experience with every BioWare game I've played, and many of their titles hold a place in my heart as some of my favorite games of all time.

Knowing that BioWare was making an MMO meant that I *had* to get my hands on it, and try it, at the very least. Of course, as with everything in life, I took it with a grain of salt, knowing that BW had never made an MMO, and I remained unsure that BioWare's first MMO undertaking would do well. I was virtually certain that storyline, writing, characterization, and dialogue would be handled well, as BioWare has done nothing but display an unparalleled mastery of those video game elements with almost every title they've stamped their name on. But I had my concerns as well. Could they create convincing, fun combat? Dynamic dungeon and raid content with challenging mechanics? Watching the gameplay videos removed all those doubts from my mind. The game, even in early beta builds, looked AMAZING. Trollsbane's thread told me everything I needed to know. As soon as pre-order became available and the release date was announced, I rushed in to GameStop and pre-ordered a collector's edition. Even before I got to try the game. I knew from watching videos, reading interviews, and going through announced game features, that this was something that I would want to play. Something that I've wanted since before I even knew I wanted it. Entering beta tests further reinforced my desire to play. I loved the game. Combat was fun, the storyline and dialogue was excellent.

To answer your question, yes, I will play TOR. Rabidly. The time between my last beta test and launch has been, and continues to be, the longest, most awkward wait of my life.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was in big beta and also in one last week and I am counting days till early access :< still 8 days left. And I still don't know what to play, I wanted BH but everyone wants to roll one so I will probably pick IA

Deleted
    I played the stress test beta, and it gripped me that much that i've gone and bought an up to date computer to get the best out of this game. My brother still plays WoW and i was watching him only last night, i watched him raid and i thought, Mer that looks so dull. So i can't wait for release of this game. This is similiar to WoW, just as rift is and any other mmo pretty much, but this just gives something extra with the nice improved visuals and the Voice acting, as many others said, you feel like you have a purpose to be playing your character and their story. Another example, i asked my brother last night, so why is deathwing attacking this place?.... he replied, i dunno, i've not bothered reading about it. I'm so happy this game gives pretty much everything you do, a reason to do it.

I've played WoW until roughly a little after 4.2, but over the expansions, the game definitely started to wear down roughly as Activision bought Blizzard out roughly a little before WOTLK(?) I definitely noticed the difference between when Blizzard worked on it alone and when Activision took over. I just want a new MMO that hasn't sold itself out like with all the payable services now in WoW. I'm definitely excited to start an MMO on day one, this will be the first time doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypr View Post
    SNIP...

I want to know will you play TOR, did you play the beta, and why will you or won't you play TOR?

Sorry if this in the wrong place I'm new to posting

And I don't know how to make a poll.
    For me WOW was starting to die a couple months after cataclysm release and by the time I had 3 level 85s, 2 of which were raiding. Wow died.

So I've been hitting games on and off for the past couple months wanting to get into the beta with no luck. so I returned to some F2p games.

Finally I got into the beta Thanksgiving weekend and although I had preordered. It was not like I couldn't cancel if I needed to should the game not pull it's weight around the beta community.

However, The game sold itself to me that weekend. As if the amazing story line was not enough, I was pulled into the random choices that made me more connected to my toon than WOW ever did. Even with the game being no more linear than WOW. There was something about the way the game played that was better than anything I had done in the past couple of years in WOW.

There there was the smooth game play, the crafting and how I could mod gear I like and keep it longer than normal as well as the way the game looked and that was without all the bells and whistles.

But after all that the one thing that really sold me was when hours of play time passed like mere min's. I was that entertained, having fun and lost hours of time that felt like only min's had passed.

WOW hasn't given me that feeling since BC and it's story was never as good.

Thats when I knew I was going to SWTOR. Thats when I knew I was keeping my pre-order.

Then I think about the potential of SWTOR and what could come down the road and the decision to get SWTOR was a no brainer.
    Last edited by quras; 2011-12-07 at 02:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't played wow a lot after 4.1 released. Was skeptic at first since I generally dislike BW games, but the beta weekend confirmed that SWTOR is the real thing.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    I played 2 SWtOR beta weekends. Loved it. I'll be playing it as soon as I can.

As for WoW, my account has been frozen for 11 months or something, so I'm not leaving it for SWtOR. I left it because it wasn't any fun anymore.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty much moving to TOR because I simply don't agree with the design direction of WoW anymore. To put things in perspective, I've been playing since Classic. I feel that TBC was the height of WoW, that WotLK was a huge letdown in terms of quality, and that Cata was a step in the right direction. Unfortunately, Blizzard took one step forward and two steps back with the consistent nerfs and overall lack of compelling raid content.

That being said, I'm giving TOR a go to see if a different dev team can give me some compelling PvE content that is challenging and plentiful. The odd thing is that I hate PvP in WoW, but have found myself loving PvP in TOR. I'm not sure why that is, but I think that it has something to do with the overall balance of the classes and not being stunned to death.

Just my 2¢

Deleted
    yes i will be playing
    wow just wont cut it for me anymore it's just lame
    and ohh do i love me good storys

Quote Originally Posted by nogard64 View Post
    it really baffles me and I can't help but sound condescending and mean spirited, I just can't act any other way towards most of the WOW fans.

Its like when you see a child who keeps touching the hot stove repeatedly you have no choice but to label him an idiot. An individual who isn't all there.

How can people not expect SWTOR to be better than wow?

Wow came out in 2005 probably uses technology and graphical engine created in 2002. So how do you expect it to stack up to SWTOR a product using 2011-2012 technology?

Thats like saying OH WOW I can't believe the 2012 3D HDTV CAN BE SO MUCH BETTER THAN my 2002 TV! I'M SO BLOWN AWAY!

Its like saying I can't believe the 2012 COBRA MUSTANG is so much faster than my 2002 mustang! HOW COULD THAT BE EVEN possible? MY MIND IS SO BLOWN!!!

MODS can ban me all they want, there is no other way of saying it but this is to the OP NOOOOO DUUUUHHHHH!!!!!
    You sir, got not even the slightest clue.
    Exaggarating alittle here to make a point.

Remeber Pong, the first video game that has been made?
    Now lets do a pong revamp. With newest technologie, strategies and whatever we have in stock tomake it adorable.
    According to you, it would be better than every game out there cause its new and shiny, and still even Commander Keen for X386 comps was better due to story and so much more.
    A game is not only about graphics, cause why would people gamble at all then, as we know that freaking real life has unreached graphics.

I'm afraid with what I saw from my own beta testing, and the reasons many of you give for swapping to SWTOR, you're all seeing through rose tinted glasses.

Perhaps in time I shall be proved wrong.

Deleted
    There can only be one true game
    that's swtor to clarify it for a the wow fans that din't get it

Deleted
    I played WoW from the launch in Europe until WotlK, quit, and returned for Cata until they launched 4.2. I don't think MoP will bring me back to WoW. I had a great time in WoW, especially during the Burning Crusade expansion, but it's time to move on for me and my fellow guildies from WoW.

SWTOR will be my new drug.

All I can say is thank you, Bethesda. Skyrim is the perfect thing to tide me over until swtor release.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinner563 View Post
    I'm afraid with what I saw from my own beta testing, and the reasons many of you give for swapping to SWTOR, you're all seeing through rose tinted glasses.

There's always a risk of that, but the only parts of you that ain't rose painted is the beard and the glasses, if I exclude the shirt behind the jacket! :>
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinner563 View Post

Yeah, because you're a mind-reading omnipotent genius, and we're all idiots because we like something that didn't suit your preferences. You're right, and we're all wrong. Get over yourself, dude. Who died and made you God?

Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    You sir, got not even the slightest clue.
    Exaggarating alittle here to make a point.

Remeber Pong, the first video game that has been made?
    Now lets do a pong revamp. With newest technologie, strategies and whatever we have in stock tomake it adorable.
    According to you, it would be better than every game out there cause its new and shiny, and still even Commander Keen for X386 comps was better due to story and so much more.
    A game is not only about graphics, cause why would people gamble at all then, as we know that freaking real life has unreached graphics.
    Best example of this is UFO: the Enemy Unknown. Its one of the best games in the gaming history (quite old one , i believe it was 1994 when released). Except its sequal which was more like an expension than a new game, none of its remake's or follow up games could hold a candle to it, and was fail after fail.

Technology only allows them to make the sounds/graphics better , but its the atmosphere of a game , that makes it great. The collection of small details..

ToR has managed to collect the right details to create a very good atmosphere, which is why it will be successful; where others failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Atelniar View Post
    There's always a risk of that, but the only parts of you that ain't rose painted is the beard and the glasses, if I exclude the shirt behind the jacket! :>
    what. I don't follow.

EDIT: Damnit my avatar. You got me thar.

Quote Originally Posted by MagusGothica View Post
    Yeah, because you're a mind-reading omnipotent genius, and we're all idiots because we like something that didn't suit your preferences. You're right, and we're all wrong. Get over yourself, dude. Who died and made you God?
    God. Left it in his will.

In all seriousness though, there's no need to jump down MY throat when I state an opinion. I simply said I didn't see all the wonders that you guys who enjoyed it did, or I wasn't as impressed by them (especially the whole "fully voice acted" thing). It's still a lot of questing with some party stuff thrown in. I will yield that the combat is more entertaining.

Implying I called you all idiots though? You jumped to that on your own. If that's how you want to be referred to though....

The BETA was very surprising for me. Took some time but TOR grew on me. Counting days.