Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    You can't use green/blue as a dark 1 or greater. Trust me, I tried. Dark level 1 and immediately had my sabers unequipped because I had green color crystals in them.
    Yeah, that's why I said he could do that if he goes Light side Sith.
    Or just stay neutral, but that as of now has no benefits (Unless they added that in the latest build but I doubt that)

Quote Originally Posted by Haasth View Post
    Yeah, that's why I said he could do that if he goes Light side Sith.
    Or just stay neutral, but that as of now has no benefits (Unless they added that in the latest build but I doubt that)
    I completely phased out your first sentence on that post so I didn't see that you wrote that. Sorry, lol.

Ok, still a little confused by the whole Light side 1 dark side 1 thing. Does that mean if I choose one bad option for a quest I can no longer equip a green saber?

Quote Originally Posted by minotaurz1 View Post
    Ok, still a little confused by the whole Light side 1 dark side 1 thing. Does that mean if I choose one bad option for a quest I can no longer equip a green saber?
    No. You have to have a net of 1000 darkside points to hit Dark 1.

To clarify, if you had 500 LS and 500 DS, your net would effectively be 0 alignment, and you would be able to equip red, blue, or green sabers.

To lose the ability to equip green or blue sabers, you would have to have your total of Darkside points minus your total Lightside points be greater than or equal to 1000 Darkside points.
    Last edited by anewok; 2011-12-10 at 08:25 PM.
    Yub Yub

It's the crystals that are restricted guys.

Remove it and the blade will default to that color.

Let me break it down for you.

You have a slider bar that gauges your light and dark level.
    -1000 is dark level 1
    +1000 is light level 1
    Quests can give you like 10, 25, 50, 100+ light or dark points depending on your choices*
    Depending on which choices you make will move the slider bar
    When you reach light lvl 1 you can no longer equip a saber with a red crystal*
    When you reach dark lvl 1 you can no longer equip a saber with green/blue crystals*

*dont argue about specifics, I'm being general for example

Let me break it down for you.

You have a slider bar that gauges your light and dark level.
    -1000 is dark level 1
    +1000 is light level 1
    Quests can give you like 10, 25, 50, 100+ light or dark points depending on your choices*
    Depending on which choices you make will move the slider bar
    When you reach light lvl 1 you can no longer equip a saber with a red crystal*
    When you reach dark lvl 1 you can no longer equip a saber with green/blue crystals*

*dont argue about specifics, I'm being general for example
    Thanks for the explanation. So last question (I hope). Say you do push it past -1000 to get dark level 1, are there ways to reduce it (besides quests)?

Thanks for the explanation. So last question (I hope). Say you do push it past -1000 to get dark level 1, are there ways to reduce it (besides quests)?
    Yes. If you take the mission skill "Diplomacy". You can send companions on missions for materials and the missions also net you dark or light points (depending on the mission choice - and yes it does tell you which before you choose).

You can also run Flashpoints repeatedly to net yourself some alignment. Flashpoints can give you quite a lot sometimes.

Deleted
    orange crystal has alignment requirement as well. it requires DARK rank 1 or higher. it cant be used even by neutral sith/jedi. i tried those (orange lightsabers) in 2 last beta weekends on my consular. it looks absolutely awesome, especially with doublebladed lightsaber.

Quote Originally Posted by yalin View Post
    orange crystal has alignment requirement as well. it requires DARK rank 1 or higher. it cant be used even by neutral sith/jedi. i tried those (orange lightsabers) in 2 last beta weekends on my consular. it looks absolutely awesome, especially with doublebladed lightsaber.
    I'm not sure that's true. In the second last beta, I ran with an orange lightsaber crystal on my Jedi Knight just fine after I had removed a crystal from a blaster and slotted it into my lightsaber, and I don't remember said crystal having a requirement either.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuanrang View Post
    I'm not sure that's true. In the second last beta, I ran with an orange lightsaber crystal on my Jedi Knight just fine after I had removed a crystal from a blaster and slotted it into my lightsaber, and I don't remember said crystal having a requirement either.
    Yeah I can't confirm or deny this one. I had two sabers come with orange in them, one from Hammer station and one from DK commendations. Both were dark 1 required to even equip the saber.

Just to add for clarification:

If you wish to be able to use all colors end-game (lvl 50):
    a) you need to play thru the game and quests choices as a "gray" jedi. Either you switch off choosing Light and Dark options, so each gauge
    moves incrementally back-and-forth and Light and Dark cancel each other out (that's how you get your alignment rating), or
    b) you go thru quests choosing the option that is not designated Light or Dark (not sure if that's always an option).

Also, not sure how well the first option above works later in game. In early game ( I played beta til about lvl 20 as Sith Inq), you get
    50 or 100 Light/Dark Side points per quest. If it takes only 1000 alignment rating to hit Light/Dark I, and you start getting
    500/750/1000 Light/Dark Side points per quest ... at that point you have to go all gray and not choose any more sides.

This choice however was a gripe among gray-alignment players because there is no gray-aligned gear. Some items you see on vendors say "Requires Dark III" or "Requires Light V" (I think 5 is max level currently). However if you go gray, you WILL have other gear options of a similar level. These items are in addition to quest rewards, crafted items, etc. There are definitely other options.
    Then again, there is a 'Light V' and 'Dark V' epic speeder mount that you have to have the proper alignment for.

(Personally, I thought initially that they would give you both Light and Dark rep if you chose the middle ground. That way, maybe neutral players would be able to access stuff up to Light/Dark III or IV, but not the final Level 5 gear, which would be a fair trade-off: you can have both, but you can't go as deep or represent yourself as truly Light or Dark. Also, this method wouldn't require creating any new "gray" gear. But as it is now, with alignment subtracting one side from the other, gray-aligned players kinda get shafted on the unlockables.

Once you go Light, even as Sith, pretty sure you can no longer use a red saber. You can use your default saber ... once you change the red crystal. Some colors are available to both sides (i.e. yellow).

Just some things to consider. Good Luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anewok View Post
    No. You have to have a net of 1000 darkside points to hit Dark 1.

To clarify, if you had 500 LS and 500 DS, your net would effectively be 0 alignment, and you would be able to equip red, blue, or green sabers.

To lose the ability to equip green or blue sabers, you would have to have your total of Darkside points minus your total Lightside points be greater than or equal to 1000 Darkside points.
    Your net would actually be 1000 and you will be completely neutral. Have equal DS and LS points doing 0 your your alignment points it makes your alignment neutral. There was supposed to be neutral gear in the game but I haven't seen anyone talk about it other than speculation.

Deleted
    Hmm. Not sure I like that... Sith is Sith after all, the red lightsaber is as iconic as iconic can be. Same goes for Jedi colors.

If it was some kind of... I dunno, sinister blue (dar-purplish blue?) color or sinister green (dark green?) instead it would fit better. But the same green/blue I'm not so sure of. I remember seeing Sith/Dark Jedi in KotOR with purple sabers though.

Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    Hmm. Not sure I like that... Sith is Sith after all, the red lightsaber is as iconic as iconic can be. Same goes for Jedi colors.

If it was some kind of... I dunno, sinister blue (dar-purplish blue?) color or sinister green (dark green?) instead it would fit better. But the same green/blue I'm not so sure of. I remember seeing Sith/Dark Jedi in KotOR with purple sabers though.
    While iconic, there's enough examples in the expanded universe where colors aren't strictly allignment based. They are strongly iconic, which is probably why the allignment requirement exist now, but they're not strict canon either which is probably why you'll see exceptions.

Personally, I just think it adds some flavour too it from a personal RP PoV.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuanrang View Post
    i'm sure that's true, because that's the thing i was closely checking, so believe me: orange crystals i bought had dark rank 1 requirement on it. in 2 last beta tests.
    there might have been some kind of a bug (like your crystal not having req on it) but 4 different orange crystals i used had this req.

so if that's how things will play out when game comes live then you won't be able to just stay neutral and get all the colors.

Deleted
    Be aware that your Dark/Light alignment might influence certain titles. I read that Jedi Knights who take a dark path cannot become <Master ...>, but instead become <General ...>.

I'm not sure if the <Darth ...> title is unavailable for a Light side Empire Force user, but I can imagine it being a dealbreaker for some people if that would be the case.

Heck, I'm going Dark Jedi, and the loss of the Master title is a difficult one. Just throwing it out here, it's not only the colour of your lightsaber you should consider.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2011-12-10 at 11:46 PM.

Yeah I can't confirm or deny this one. I had two sabers come with orange in them, one from Hammer station and one from DK commendations. Both were dark 1 required to even equip the saber.
    Lightsabers can have alignment restrictions of their own. These have nothing to do with the item mods.

The orange color crystals on torhead do not have an alignment restriction on them, while red, green, and blue do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMan View Post
    Lightsabers can have alignment restrictions of their own. These have nothing to do with the item mods.

The orange color crystals on torhead do not have an alignment restriction on them, while red, green, and blue do.
    and once again i will say that those i had in game (again, 4 different crystals) had the restriction. crystals, not weapons. one was even some low lvl crafted crystal that i bought on action house.

Quote Originally Posted by yalin View Post
    i'm sure that's true, because that's the thing i was closely checking, so believe me: orange crystals i bought had dark rank 1 requirement on it. in 2 last beta tests.
    there might have been some kind of a bug (like your crystal not having req on it) but 4 different orange crystals i used had this req.

so if that's how things will play out when game comes live then you won't be able to just stay neutral and get all the colors.
    Myeah, but I know for a fact that I had a blaster on Tython (quest reward, drop or commendation... not sure), took the orange crystal and fitted it into my saber when I was at the Republic Fleet, waiting for the 4th guy for The Esseles.

I'm not sure if I could slot it in because I wasn't Light 1 at the time (although I'm sure I was, though not 100%) or if the crystal didn't have an alignment (which I'm fairly sure it didn't, though not 100% there either).