Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

80,000-100,000 players on SW:TOR servers - interview with Richard Vogel

German mag "buffed.de" interviewed several Bioware guys. Scroll down to the video. It's in english with german subtitles.
    Richard Vogel (Executive Producer) said that servers can have 80k-100k players (jump to time index 19:30).

http://www.buffed.de/buffedde-Brands...cklern-858928/

He later says that they put 200,000 bots on one server to check their limits. Many asked how many players a server can have - here is your answer.

How many they will allow before they wave the "full" flag is an entirely different story.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

LOL? WoW's servers can hold 6k players each one, 3.5k at the same time. That's a huge difference indeed... Kudos to BioWare.
    "I look bigger in those mirrors where things look bigger."

I wonder if that might be too many per server, Id like a bigger community then your current wow server though

During Stresstest the server claimed to be "full" after about 2000 players. So I don't think they will use the absolute maximum possible.

Deleted
    wow /drops jaw

That could be amazing when it comes to servers feeling lively and maybe this will mean larger waves in EA.

Guys just imagine genral chat

I wonder what the cap is for each instance.

In Beta the starter worlds were capped at around 150-200. As I got to the 3rd world it was around 550, but that was the only instance, so I wonder how far it will go up.

It may have said full but there was actually no limit, you could keep joining full servers all weekend, so their limit must be really high.

Deleted
    It won't go up to high because you wouldn't be able to collect an item or kill a mob. There would be just too many people.

General chat would explode with 100k players ^^.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would consider a server with 5000 people on it to be a healthy enough number. Could be completely different though with everything being different instanced planets instead of 2-3 mass continents like wow.

200,000 bots is nothing compared to 200,000 players filling city chats, sending pms, killing mobs, looting, filling ah's... I would be extremely surprised if their servers could handle even 10,000 players at a time.

It's because Bioware had the idea of making each server actually 3 separate servers in a way.

Deleted
    Highly unlikely. 10000 would be a feat already. Don't expect anything radical compared to WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by blankfaced View Post
    200,000 bots is nothing compared to 200,000 players filling city chats, sending pms, killing mobs, looting, filling ah's... I would be extremely surprised if their servers could handle even 10,000 players at a time.
    You do know that bots that simulate players would do all that stuff?
    Every goldfarmer and botter could show you how
    Last edited by Kryos; 2011-12-11 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blankfaced View Post
    The last beta they had, 2 million people played. I'm not sure the exact number, but there weren't many more than 20 servers. That's 100,000 people per server. I'm sure at any given time it was much less, and there was probably really around 30 servers, but still those numbers were much higher than 10k people/ server. They would have needed 200 servers to get it down to 10k people/ server and they didn't have anywhere near that.

---------- Post added 2011-12-10 at 07:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    You do know that bots that simulate players would do all that stuff?
    ^^^^ furreals

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Guillotine811 View Post
    The last beta they had, 2 million people played. I'm not sure the exact number, but there weren't many more than 20 servers. That's 100,000 people per server. I'm sure at any given time it was much less, and there was probably really around 30 servers, but still those numbers were much higher than 10k people/ server.
    ^^^^ furreals
    Im sure they said it was 750,000 - 1 million that actually played.

2 million signed up.

EDIT: Gimme a sec to dig up source.

Here:

The beta test weekend event had over 2 million players entering the game over the three day span, 750,000 of those being new. 250,000 were playing concurrently at the game’s peak.

http://www.killerguides.com/blog/mmo...umbers-in-beta
    Last edited by mmoc5e8db2ad26; 2011-12-11 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malgo View Post
    It won't go up to high because you wouldn't be able to collect an item or kill a mob. There would be just too many people.
    All the quest zones are instanced, there is a max limit to how many can be in one and when it fills up another instance is created. Areas won't get overloaded. Even with the crazy amount of people playing the second last beta weekend, I never had any issues with loot or killing a mob.

Deleted
    100,000 people on the same server at one time, god that would be awful. You'd hardly get to know anyone. I like small-ish / medium servers. Atleast you get to know alot of people and recognise them.

Deleted
    Get used to seeing:

Coruscant 1
    Coruscant 2
    Coruscant 3
    Coruscant 4
    Coruscant 5
    Coruscant 6
    Coruscant 7
    Coruscant 8
    Coruscant 9
    Coruscant ...

Talking about immersion!

Deleted
    Maybe i was always on the empty servers but the beta felt really empty to me, didn't run in to people that often.