Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajikami View Post
    Snowball launcher is a rare drops from mobs in hard-mode underground ice biome.
    Hmmmm, really? Terraria wiki says it drops from Snow Flinx, which is a normal mode mob.

Though I do find it curious that people are so opposed to AFK farming
    I'm not "so opposed", I just don't think it's "legit".

... it is a legitimate part of the game.
    Duping exists in-game, is that a legitimate part of the game? People can give each other items, is that a "legitimate" part of the game? I don't understand what this argument is supposed to represent. Just because it exists doesn't mean much.

It's not like there is no effort involved, you have to set up the right area for it to work properly.
    I hardly call putting 200 blocks down and setting a trap effort.

And once you have the best gear in the game, there really isn't anything interesting or challenging about killing the monsters yourself... so why spend the time?
    Because that's how you legitimately get them, or in better terms, how the developer intended for you to get them.

So, going to start farming Paladins, do they appear anywhere specific in the dungeon? Just randomly, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Paladins come in all 3 types/section of the dungeon. Same with bone lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    well the "obtainable" ones must all be lower than low percentages as i still havnt seen a sniper or uzi and ive killed enough dungeon mobs and jungle mobs and ive gotten atleast 3 pygmy staves and still no armor
    most of those are definitively obtainable

http://i.imgur.com/PaXfyfM.png

KO Cannon was dropped during a blood moon, skeletron hand came from skeletron in my first and only kill (didn't even think it was rare), Inferno fork was on the dungeon, from the guy that casts the same spell, Lizard egg from intensive lizard farming (got a banner too even), and you can check the depicted witch doctor shop/my inventory for the pygmy stuff + pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Yup. If it's planted somewhere it's just a normal light source.
    from the wiki:

Holding a Water Candle in the player's hand will increase all enemy spawn rates by 33%, and increase the maximum number of simultaneous on-screen enemies by 50%. Note that it must be held, simply being somewhere in the inventory will not suffice. Being within range of a placed water candle will also increase the spawn rate and maximum number of enemies by an equal amount. Multiple placed candles do not stack, but the bonuses from holding and placing a candle do.

1.2: Placed water candles also increase spawn rate

that's what i have been basing myself on, with seemingly success? even if it isnt true, i've been using water candles for so long to farm now, they're more of a lucky charm for me now
    Last edited by JoeMackenroe; 2013-10-13 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Hmmmm, really? Terraria wiki says it drops from Snow Flinx, which is a normal mode mob.
    Alright, it dropped for me in hardmode, I wasn't sure what off of.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Duping exists in-game, is that a legitimate part of the game? People can give each other items, is that a "legitimate" part of the game? I don't understand what this argument is supposed to represent. Just because it exists doesn't mean much.
    Duping is not legit, giving someone an item is, so long as the item was originally obtained in a legit manner. I think it is pretty clear when you are doing something that you are intended to be able to do and when you are cheating.

Because that's how you legitimately get them, or in better terms, how the developer intended for you to get them.
    I think it's ridiculous to argue that the developers didn't intend for people to AFK farm. They easily could have made changes to prevent it, and in fact did for some of the more egregious versions, like farming bunny statues for money in a blood moon. The fact that they removed some things while doing nothing to prevent others says to me that they are perfectly ok with AFK farming in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    My point is simply that I am willing to get items via afk farm and not from using maps/tools, because I consider the latter cheating. I'm not saying anything about what you think. Though I do find it curious that people are so opposed to AFK farming... it is a legitimate part of the game. It's not like there is no effort involved, you have to set up the right area for it to work properly. And once you have the best gear in the game, there really isn't anything interesting or challenging about killing the monsters yourself... so why spend the time?

Snowball launcher is a rare drops from mobs in hard-mode underground ice biome.
    getting stuff from not actually playing it and being "afk" is still cheating

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMackenroe View Post
    most of those are definitively obtainable

http://i.imgur.com/PaXfyfM.png

KO Cannon was dropped during a blood moon, skeletron hand came from skeletron in my first and only kill (didn't even think it was rare), Inferno fork was on the dungeon, from the guy that casts the same spell, Lizard egg from intensive lizard farming (got a banner too even), and you can check the depicted witch doctor shop/my inventory for the pygmy stuff + pet.

from the wiki:

Holding a Water Candle in the player's hand will increase all enemy spawn rates by 33%, and increase the maximum number of simultaneous on-screen enemies by 50%. Note that it must be held, simply being somewhere in the inventory will not suffice. Being within range of a placed water candle will also increase the spawn rate and maximum number of enemies by an equal amount. Multiple placed candles do not stack, but the bonuses from holding and placing a candle do.

1.2: Placed water candles also increase spawn rate

that's what i have been basing myself on, with seemingly success? even if it isnt true, i've been using water candles for so long to farm now, they're more of a lucky charm for me now
    when placed in water maybe since its a water candle not an air candle or w.e

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, it dropped for me in hardmode, I wasn't sure what off of.

Duping is not legit, giving someone an item is, so long as the item was originally obtained in a legit manner. I think it is pretty clear when you are doing something that you are intended to be able to do and when you are cheating.

I think it's ridiculous to argue that the developers didn't intend for people to AFK farm. They easily could have made changes to prevent it, and in fact did for some of the more egregious versions, like farming bunny statues for money in a blood moon. The fact that they removed some things while doing nothing to prevent others says to me that they are perfectly ok with AFK farming in general.
    thing is theres no way in knowing where the player got the item from he mightve actually found it or used a hack tool or got it from someone else that used a hack tool honestly getting it yourself is probarly the only way of knowing it wasnt hacked or cheated

Finally pushed into hell. Firebloom seems a lot rarer than it used to be, so I'm having to mine hellstone through walls for crafting. Did manage to get my Night's Edge made, though. Should be setting up for the Wall soon.
    Walking to Mordor. 120.4/6230km
    1RMs: bench-111.1kg, squat-147.4kg, deadlift-158.8kg

Deleted
    If you make a sky-walk thing out of ash then Fireblossom grows on it

Accidentally found it out lol

Quote Originally Posted by Yakobro View Post
    If you make a sky-walk thing out of ash then Fireblossom grows on it

Accidentally found it out lol
    I thought it required lava to bloom though. Or is that just in pots?
    Walking to Mordor. 120.4/6230km
    1RMs: bench-111.1kg, squat-147.4kg, deadlift-158.8kg

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFerret View Post
    I thought it required lava to bloom though. Or is that just in pots?
    Ya, it requires lava to bloom. But it will grow naturally (no need for seeds) on ash. So if you place a whole lot of ash with space above it (like in a sky-walk) you can harvest it that way. The rate at which it grows naturally is pretty low though, so you are probably better off getting some lava buckets and setting up a farm.

Ya, it requires lava to bloom. But it will grow naturally (no need for seeds) on ash. So if you place a whole lot of ash with space above it (like in a sky-walk) you can harvest it that way. The rate at which it grows naturally is pretty low though, so you are probably better off getting some lava buckets and setting up a farm.
    pots work better either way,. you dont want to cover your sky bridge in lava. (unless you got the lava walkers)

And,. you want to use asphalt for the sky bridge because of the speed boost.

Same with with water leaf, but those need water.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    pots work better either way,. you dont want to cover your sky bridge in lava. (unless you got the lava walkers)

And,. you want to use asphalt for the sky bridge because of the speed boost.

Same with with water leaf, but those need water.

I think what he is saying is this.

firebloom grows naturally on ash in hell. Making your sky bridge from ash will make it easier to get started farming firebloom, He isn't saying put a bunch of lava on the sky bridge.

are there any blocks that reduce movement speed? we wanted to use them in home defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan30 View Post
    are there any blocks that reduce movement speed? we wanted to use them in home defense.
    walking through water slows you down, but I don't know of a block that does so.

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan30 View Post
    Honey Blocks are acquired by dripping honey onto water and mining it, much like obsidian. This also slows down the Player.

http://terraria.wikia.com/wiki/Honey_Block

I know it says player, but at least from what I could observe, it slows enemies too, but not flying enemies (obviously).

I would also recommend laying out a layer or two of honey on top of them. Slows enemies down A LOT. If you get the hive wand from the queen bee boss, you have unlimited honey forever.

"I'm going to summon the hard mode worm!"
    /summons
    /fighting, half health
    *Skeleton Prime has arrived*
    "Mother fu--- "

/dead

How bad of luck can that be?

I hardly call putting 200 blocks down and setting a trap effort.

Duping is not intendet by the developers, therefore it is cheating. Even though they must have known that leaving the save files on the harddrive of the player will lead to manipulations. But still.

It's more than just placing 200 blocks. You gotta have the rigth gear combination and something that actually kills the mobs for you. It's a little more thougth than just "putting 200 blocks".

And the developers certainly saw it coming that people can afk farm.They left it in the game. How do you know this was not intended by them ?

- - - Updated - - -

But all the ranting aside, I actually wanted to tell you guys what I did over the weekend :

I smashed some more demon altars and hoped for more titanium. But the spawn rate must be ridiculously low... I am now in a full Mythril set and I still only made 10 titanium bars. This stuff is rare indeed! The game starts to feel a bit grindy to be honest. The other problem is that IMO the mythrill equipment is still not strong enugh for hardmode mobs. I still get overrun like crazy when there is a blood moon. Balancing is really off and it kinda lowered my desire to play. But I still log in to dig and die a few times, hoping that I find at least some titanium ore...
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Deleted
    i managed to completely skip titanium..

i killed the destroyer, which was quite easy actually

then used hallowed bars on a pickaxe and got full turtle set, which takes no time to get since Chlorophyte is everywhere

from there it just went into easy mode, and since then got a death sickle, which i think is much better than terra blade

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
    Balancing is really off and it kinda lowered my desire to play
    The balancing isn't the problem, your playstyle and gearing strategy just isn't successful. You may want to look into changing it up. If you are using melee gear and weapons, you may want to try caster stuff or a ranged weapon. Kill the destroyer and make light discs. Every single weapon and gear set isn't going to work for everything. The game would be very boring if that were the case.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    i managed to completely skip titanium..

i killed the destroyer, which was quite easy actually

then used hallowed bars on a pickaxe and got full turtle set, which takes no time to get since Chlorophyte is everywhere

from there it just went into easy mode, and since then got a death sickle, which i think is much better than terra blade
    i remember reading somewhere that you can dynamite mine the cloro ore basically skipping a good chunk of the game

i personally havnt tried it but its deff worth a try