Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ...
    What is it that you do just after you start hardmode? I have now played several characters with different ways to at least moon lord and now latest I just started hardmode. Its always at that spot when things grind to a halt. Your gear isnt good enough to fight mechanical bosses...at least it will be difficult.

I can spend large amount of time to get armor and weapons from new ores and that will barely allow me to fight the bosses (at least for my skill level). This is what I have been doing, but this portion feels such a chore.
    You cannot even fight most enemies you need to get trough properly.
    You dont have hardmode accessories yet and it may take time to get them.

So you just dig... dig... dig and try to find those new ores with help of spelunker pots.

I have been thinking perhaps I should just grind the normal enemies that spawn underground and collect souls of light/night and then use them to craft keys to generate mimics so that can get some rare and actually very useful items. Is this what I should be doing?
    So far I have just grinded the basic sets from new ores and used relevant weapon. Then with difficulty I have killed one of the mechanical bosses and then from their drops I can easily kill next ones and get all the things I view being basic hardmode items that makes things flow better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    What is it that you do just after you start hardmode? I have now played several characters with different ways to at least moon lord and now latest I just started hardmode. Its always at that spot when things grind to a halt. Your gear isnt good enough to fight mechanical bosses...at least it will be difficult.

I can spend large amount of time to get armor and weapons from new ores and that will barely allow me to fight the bosses (at least for my skill level). This is what I have been doing, but this portion feels such a chore.

So you just dig... dig... dig and try to find those new ores with help of spelunker pots.

I have been thinking perhaps I should just grind the normal enemies that spawn underground and collect souls of light/night and then use them to craft keys to generate mimics so that can get some rare and actually very useful items. Is this what I should be doing?
    So far I have just grinded the basic sets from new ores and used relevant weapon. Then with difficulty I have killed one of the mechanical bosses and then from their drops I can easily kill next ones and get all the things I view being basic hardmode items that makes things flow better.
    You need to make a arena to fight them. Lots of honey pools + heart lamps + fireplaces and pressere traps aimed at the bosses for extra damage. Heart statue is also a must (try to farm them in easier world - newly created). Build your area like a house, so hopefully random mobs dont spawn when you fight a boss. And put there some usless npcs like a guide, tailor and paint guy so they prevent a spawn of mobs (boss will kill them tho).

Having a magic cloack that eats mana pots + Cursed Flames (easy to make) should make bosses a bit easier.

10+ Year Old Account

There are some pretty nice weapons you can farm for before fighting the mechanical bosses. Things like the Crystal Serpent (fish in either the surface or underground Hallow), Meteor Staff (crafted with meteorite bars, souls of light, and pixie dust), the Ice Sickle (farmed in underground ice), or one of the two crafted mage books the Golden Shower or Cursed Flames depending on if you have crimson or corruption. The last one requires you to buy the tome from the Wizard npc plus some souls of night and either ichor or cursed flames. I have heard the Chain Guillotine that drops from Corrupt Mimics is nice but I never got one myself and I mostly stuck to mage weapons anyways. If you can handled the underground Hallow, I also got a lot of use out of the Blade Staff dropped form the enchanted swords there. It is a summon weapon that makes little flying knives that attack really rapidly. It has low base damage but it also ignores 25 defense, paired with the shark tooth necklace, it shreds things. The Blade Staff and Crystal Serpent/Meteor Staff combo worked quite well for me. If you go that direction, hunt down some magic accessories as well like the Mana Flower/Mana Cloak and Celestial Cuffs.

But yeah, early Hardmode is kinda like starting over a bit. You go back to doing a lot of digging for ore and farming for materials and drops for awhile before stating on the mechanical bosses and beyond.

I might try that meteor staff. Forgot it existed. Still, this character is entirely ranged character. My previous ones were melee. I'm inteding to try all styles. Suddenly using magic weapon seems slightly off, but I was intending to use golden shower to debuff things with reduced defense anyway so I can agree to some deviation. As long as I kill destroyer I can make a megashark and that should be good enough weapon for the rest. Craftable meteor staff is probably easier to get than any ranged weapon I can recall, atm. Edit: Perhaps onyx blaster?

10+ Year Old Account
    I might try that meteor staff. Forgot it existed. Still, this character is entirely ranged character. My previous ones were melee. I'm inteding to try all styles. Suddenly using magic weapon seems slightly off, but I was intending to use golden shower to debuff things with reduced defense anyway so I can agree to some deviation. As long as I kill destroyer I can make a megashark and that should be good enough weapon for the rest. Craftable meteor staff is probably easier to get than any ranged weapon I can recall, atm. Edit: Perhaps onyx blaster?
    I made an onyx blaster and played around with it. Seemed pretty solid. Hit pretty hard and has a nice spread. Other options may be the Dart Pistol/Rifle from the Crimson/Corruption mimic (depending on what your world has) or the Daedalus Stormbow from the Hallowed mimic. Even though the Daedalus was nerfed, it is still pretty strong.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    If you want a super easy way to do it just make a rail track in the sky from one side of the world to the other. None of the bosses should be able to catch you at full speed so you can just shoot them as you ride along as long as you and enough shots they should die before sun up with no actual risk though the worm is a bit wonky if you do that. This also works for the rest of the bosses if your in expert mode and can make the robo cart even moon lines wont be able to keep up.

It’s not all that fun but if you want to cheese it it’s the way to go.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just went to a hardmode spider cave and farmed their teeth or whatever. That makes the summoner set that's baller. Then you can make the spiuder rods
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account

What i did with my friend was dug out a very large area underground for each biome i wanted to farm (Make a box high enough from the ground that you cant see it by a few blocks, then clear to the left and right until you cannot see the walls) then craft the spider set and staff and sit in the box afk farming until either a biome mimic spawns or enchanted swords try to get you.

Haaa

What to do now. I played the game trough on all playstyles, melee, ranged, magic and summon. All on journey mode, but I only cheated, if it reduced unneeded grind. As in "I could get it legit, but it will only take time". Etc. Also difficulty was always increased to level of normal. Journey mode starts with 0.5, but normal is 1. I have no intention of doing harder modes. I found normal difficult enough. I'm probably not best at dodging damage...

Melee was most annoying until end when your melee weapons are actually ranged weapons and shoot stuff.
    Ranged was average experience. So many weapon choice, but so few that are actually comfortable to use. So many ammo, but only few of them are good.
    Mage was ez. Really. This was the easiest. Eventually you can just spam and your automatically kill stuff as shots are homing and do large damage. Moon lord was the easiest on mage.
    Summon was annoying at begining, most summons are hard to get there and I could pull my hair off as i watch my summons hover around the mob and never actually hit. etc. Towards end, it felt easiest at clearing the pumpkin moon event and other such things.

I was thinking of for once purifying entire world (i want exterminatus), but once I was done purifying all the areas with corruption I knew of, dryad still said that I had more corruption somewhere than hallow that I never even touched. Any easy ways to find it all or do I just dig with the drill mount until I run into some?

What to do now.
    I would suggest farming for rare things for collection's sake if you're running out of things to do (Rod of Discord in particular). That's what I'm doing. Remember to bump up to spawn rate to max while doing so, of course.