Page 27 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    The balancing isn't the problem, your playstyle and gearing strategy just isn't successful. You may want to look into changing it up. If you are using melee gear and weapons, you may want to try caster stuff or a ranged weapon. Kill the destroyer and make light discs. Every single weapon and gear set isn't going to work for everything. The game would be very boring if that were the case.
    I tried both ranged and melee. I wish it would be so easy as to just kill the destroyer. If I could, I would ^^

I first went with the meteorite armor and the space gun cause that gun is still doing more damage ( considering piercing etc ) than any HM weapon i foud so far. Did not work, way too squishy. Since then i crafted the full cobald armor set and the full mythril armor set, including the crossbows and some sword. Still take huge damage, 50 - 70 damage per hit is not uncommon. And the weapons all have problems too. The melee weapons require you to be in melee, which is bad enugh. the crossbows do 30-40 damage per shot, but dont pierce. I still have not found a single spell in hardmode, i am busy trying to dig up more titanium.

How do you suppose i should kill the destroyer ?

And yes, balancing is a problem. Dont tell me that there is not a huge jump between easy mode and hardmode. That transition is painful and could be balanced much more nicely. You can have the best possible gear from easy mode and hardmode mobs can still kill you in a few hits. That is not balanced. It's like throwing you from the end of nightmare difficulty straigth into inferno ( diablo 3 analogy ).
    Ecce homo ergo elk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
    I tried both ranged and melee. I wish it would be so easy as to just kill the destroyer. If I could, I would ^^

I first went with the meteorite armor and the space gun cause that gun is still doing more damage ( considering piercing etc ) than any HM weapon i foud so far. Did not work, way too squishy. Since then i crafted the full cobald armor set and the full mythril armor set, including the crossbows and some sword. Still take huge damage, 50 - 70 damage per hit is not uncommon. And the weapons all have problems too. The melee weapons require you to be in melee, which is bad enugh. the crossbows do 30-40 damage per shot, but dont pierce. I still have not found a single spell in hardmode, i am busy trying to dig up more titanium.

And yes, balancing is a problem. Dont tell me that there is not a huge jump between easy mode and hardmode. That transition is painful and could be balanced much more nicely. You can have the best possible gear from easy mode and hardmode mobs can still kill you in a few hits. That is not balanced. It's like throwing you from the end of nightmare difficulty straigth into inferno ( diablo 3 analogy ).
    i remember i beat him with a chainsaw the first time and using the health drops those flying orbs drop to keep myself healed havnt done it since tho

- - - Updated - - -

but the best weapons to use against worm bosses are things like the chainsaw and flamethrower

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well I can't tell what will work best for you, but I went into hard mode with the molten armor and a thorn chakram. I took hits very hard, so I had to play more conservatively. Are you making potions to buff damage and defense? Highest normal mode health potions? What other gear are you wearing? Maybe you need better movement gear, maybe you need more defense, maybe more attack. There are a lot of variables in the game.

Let me be clear, I am not insulting or attacking you in any way and if it sounds like that I'm sorry. However, it is supposed to be really, really hard. That's like the entire point. This isn't 'hard'mode. This is HARDmode. It takes a high level of skill, better gear and item use, or friends. All of those are options. I have turtle armor and my light discs and even I die to things if I'm not careful or just lazy.

If you really need help, just ask someone on here if they can jump into your world and help you kill a boss. Icedwarrior I believe is always looking to play with others, so he would be a great help. I would help you myself, but I don't play very much. Additionally, I believe you can create a new world,leave it in normal mode, and go smash altars to generate ore. Maybe farm some more stuff and then go back to your hardmode world? There's a lot of possibilities with the game and other than cheating, it's designed for you to do all of the things I mentioned.
    BAD WOLF

Well I can't tell what will work best for you, but I went into hard mode with the molten armor and a thorn chakram. I took hits very hard, so I had to play more conservatively. Are you making potions to buff damage and defense? Highest normal mode health potions? What other gear are you wearing? Maybe you need better movement gear, maybe you need more defense, maybe more attack. There are a lot of variables in the game.
    I have the 100 health potions, those are the biggest ones i found. I have not yet tried potions, I will use them for the bosses however. The few times when I had random bosses spawn ( twins once and skeleton prime once ) I was dead within seconds, so i thougth that it's not yet time to try bosses.

Other gear ( i assume you mean trinkets ) : wings, spectre boots, shield ( immunity to fire blocks and knockback ), mana flower thingy that automatically consumes manapots when necessary and I think the ninja claws where you can slide down walls with them. Many mobility trinkets, not much else.

Let me be clear, I am not insulting or attacking you in any way and if it sounds like that I'm sorry. However, it is supposed to be really, really hard. That's like the entire point. This isn't 'hard'mode. This is HARDmode. It takes a high level of skill, better gear and item use, or friends. All of those are options. I have turtle armor and my light discs and even I die to things if I'm not careful or just lazy.
    Yeah I noticed it's really hard ^^ I guess when I say that it is not properly balanced I am talking from a perspective of mainstream games nowadays wich a slow and steady learning curve. Here it's more of a wall instead of a curve ^^ But yeah, if it is the aim of the game to make hardmode superhard, then it's well balanced ^^

I will continue digging around and eventually hopefully get some more killing power

edit : i ll go back to a normal mode jungle map and farm me those thorn chackrams. They sound nasty.
    Last edited by Twoflower; 2013-10-15 at 03:21 PM.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    edit : i ll go back to a normal mode jungle map and farm me those thorn chackrams. They sound nasty.
    It allows you to wear the melee gear(considered melee damage), which has the highest defense, but still attack at range. It also ricochets and returns to you like a boomerang(allowing damage on the out and in).
    BAD WOLF

Duping is not intendet by the developers, therefore it is cheating. Even though they must have known that leaving the save files on the harddrive of the player will lead to manipulations. But still.
    Do you think the developers intended for afk farming?

It's more than just placing 200 blocks. You gotta have the rigth gear combination and something that actually kills the mobs for you. It's a little more thougth than just "putting 200 blocks".
    I'm willing to bet you could do it without any gear on, if you have the right layout of traps. Okay, fine, I'll get a bit more technical: put down 200 blocks, place a trap, place a couple places of wire, and a timer. Even if you're learning all of this from the beginning, it can't take more than 20 minutes.

And the developers certainly saw it coming that people can afk farm.They left it in the game. How do you know this was not intended by them ?
    Just because it's in-game doesn't mean that they saw it coming, nor do they necessarily agree with it just because it is in-game. That said, this is starting to go down the road of "I know what they're thinking!", which no one can argue except for the devs.

Ultimately, my line of thinking is that unless you are actively playing the game, you are not "earning" the items that drop. Afk farming is not actively playing the game. Getting items from your friend is not "earning" the items. Opening TEdit is not playing nor "earning" the items. I'm not attempting to judge anyone and say that I'm morally superior or anything of the sort, just that I can't find the logic in saying that there are alternative ways to obtaining rare items aside from actively playing the game (which includes afk farming, TEdit, item maps, people giving each other items, etc).

Balancing is really off and it kinda lowered my desire to play. But I still log in to dig and die a few times, hoping that I find at least some titanium ore...
    I wouldn't say that it's "off", it's just a quite a step up. I do find it interesting that they implemented more starter gear (which I felt was there to lessen the difficulty and what-not at the beginning), but never addressed the difficulty from normal --> hard. That said, I really enjoy the challenge, and no disrespect meant, but you need to either get better gear, a better / different fighting style, or get better at the game. Just keep plugging away at the game and you'll get better, trust me. I died MANY times in hard, in fact I can still die pretty easily if I get careless; just takes time and practice.

Other gear ( i assume you mean trinkets ) : wings, spectre boots, shield ( immunity to fire blocks and knockback ), mana flower thingy that automatically consumes manapots when necessary and I think the ninja claws where you can slide down walls with them. Many mobility trinkets, not much else.
    Hmm, I'd recommend going after some gear. At the very least, I would highly recommend reforging your gear for a "Warding" prefix, which adds +4 Defense to that specific piece of gear. Defense helps a LOT.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend that. What I would recommend is breaking some Demon Alters, which adds the "new" ore to your world. When I did that, I was able to farm the ore, and make a sword that doubled my DPS, in addition to some sweet, delicious armor sets.

Icedwarrior I believe is always looking to play with others, so he would be a great help. I would help you myself, but I don't play very much.
    I wouldn't mind playing with anyone, but the problem is that I've got super end-game items and gear, so I fear I'd smash whatever you're doing without a challenge.

Edit:

It allows you to wear the melee gear(considered melee damage), which has the highest defense, but still attack at range. It also ricochets and returns to you like a boomerang(allowing damage on the out and in).
    Huh? How does a boomerang allow you to wear the melee gear? If you really want to spam a ranged attack that has a base damage of 25 (it's going to do considerably less damage because of defense...), be my guest, but I don't think it's going to be that effective...

Got it, never mind. My reading comprehension isn't that great 30 minutes after I wake up. Still, it doesn't have good knockback, so you'd have to cheese it to hell to kill anything considerable (I'm looking at you, turtles).
    Last edited by icedwarrior; 2013-10-15 at 04:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah afk farming is stupid easy in this, it's how I got all my keys. You just use super spiky ball traps, don't need gear at all.
    Last edited by Treeskee; 2013-10-15 at 04:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    just got a rare bow from the skeleton archers

http://terraria.wikia.com/wiki/Marrow

http://store.steampowered.com/app/105600/

Steamdeal,. 2.49 euros - time to stock up some game codes to give to friends?

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/105600/

Steamdeal,. 2.49 euros - time to stock up some game codes to give to friends?
    Lol, I was literally just about to post that. Via trading I can get a four pack for the price of two, so trading, here we go!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Well, let's see...

Bananarang is obtainable, Spectre Staff is obtainable, never heard of the Book of Skulls, but the wiki says it's introduced in 1.2...most of these are obtainable.
    I have a Book of Skulls. It demolishes the Eater of Worlds and the Destroyer

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    Yeah afk farming is stupid easy in this, it's how I got all my keys. You just use super spiky ball traps, don't need gear at all.
    QQ I left my game on for like 2 hours in the crimson and I have yet to see a crimson key...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    QQ I left my game on for like 2 hours in the crimson and I have yet to see a crimson key...
    damn ahah, when i first started farming I was after the frozen key and the spot I set up in was JUST inside a hallowed biome and I ended up with 2 hallowed keys instead.

By pissing on him obviously, at least thats what I did rather succesfully.
    Last edited by Verdugo; 2013-10-15 at 09:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, I got a Magnet Sphere. Dear god what did I do before I have that glorious magical item

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    So, I got a Magnet Sphere. Dear god what did I do before I have that glorious magical item
    It's pretty good, but I prefer the Inferno Fork. That, and the Ice Hydra...but I got lucky and get a key after 1 hour of farming.

Aah yes i heared about this spell. Will have to do some ichor farming then. God I hate those mobs, their piss atack hurts like hell.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

10+ Year Old Account
    So has the contents of the halloween patch (or a date) been posted anywhere yet? I'm actually pretty excited for this

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Yeah, it bugs out when you try to put a massive amount of water to hell for some reason.

Anyone know of a nice quality gun. Currently using the sniper, it's strong but... slow as hell. =\
    Chlorophyte bullets are hilarious.
    Unreal Megashark? That's what I used when I played, but that might be outdated.
    Edit: Oops, that was a really old post. Ignore me, I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    not having much luck in finding lime kelp

wiki says ice caverns but all ive found is one but wasnt in an ice cavern

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    not having much luck in finding lime kelp

wiki says ice caverns but all ive found is one but wasnt in an ice cavern
    So far I've only found them in Corruption and in the jungle temple after I flooded it. I'd guess it's just easier to see against the ice background.