Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Much of a download after install from disc?

Hey lads

ive been trying to find some info on this but the offical forums are down so i could wrap my head around this myself.

I curretly have a pretty poor download limit each month on eircom (ireland isp) hence i have had to resort to ordering SWTOR in a physical copy off amazon.

Now i am wondering, do you think ill have to do much downloading once ive installed all the game off the disc? Id hate to get the disc and the still have to download 20 gigs or whatever?

Does anyone know anythign that might shed some light on this. because if would take literally a a couple of days to even download half of it if i have to dowload 27 gigs and would take up over a months of my download limit.

Thanks in advance lads.

EDIT : GOT IT TODAY (21st) DOWNLOAD AFTER INSTALL FROM DISC IS 195 mg

thanks to all the posters.
    Last edited by mmoc21829a8d84; 2011-12-21 at 01:58 PM.

No one would know for certain as we haven't received the disks yet, but I would probably say there would be a bit more to download. Probably not 20 gigs worth. It'd be an incremental update. My guess, a couple of gigs at most. They aren't Apple.

The game size so far is 18.4GB and it's coming out in a day. I'm thinking that at least 90% of that is on the discs.
    "The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

Honestly I and I imagine others, just don't factually know. We don't know exactly where they stopped with the code to press the discs.

This would be a question that either Stephen Reid could field, or I suggest sending an email to support@swtor.com

If I had to guess, you will have some updating to do -- how much, tsk tsk.. Just a random guess here, maybe 2-5 Gigs or so. It seemed like they probably stamped the build at end of beta, the updates since then haven't been a tremendous amount.

Deleted
    Cool cool thanks for all the replies dudes. 2-5 gigs is more than managable for me so something around those lines thats fine. Aye i imagined they might have released some info on main forums etc . ill take another sniff around when they come back up..

I might even take your suggestion Neofate and drop them a line directly. if i get a reply ill be sure to come back and update this for other users.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure there will be a Day 1 patch, but it won't be too much. We'll have a better idea once they let us get our stinkin' mitts on the game on Tuesday.
    SCUM AND VILLAINY
    You will never find a more wretched hive...

18.4GB? Really? Dude, it's like double that.

The game's install is 4 Dual-Layer DVDs.

My current game folder is 34.7GB and ready to go.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ancestorTOR View Post
    I'm sure there will be a Day 1 patch, but it won't be too much. We'll have a better idea once they let us get our stinkin' mitts on the game on Tuesday.
    Aye you dastardly devils and your early access and lovely internet isp's!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post

Language files?
    "The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

If your client is 37gb, you're carrying extra files from the beta; probably 2 beta clients. I did a fresh re-install last week and it pared down to 19gb. 27gb is the full game with all three language packs installed.
    SCUM AND VILLAINY
    You will never find a more wretched hive...

Currently downloading client and it's looking to be about 13.8GB. Least from what it is showing so far.

Deleted
    well if there are 4 discs included id be safe enough so, that a huge majority of game is on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ancestorTOR View Post
    If your client is 37gb, you're carrying extra files from the beta; probably 2 beta clients. I did a fresh re-install last week and it pared down to 19gb. 27gb is the full game with all three language packs installed.
    Just like this person. You're carrying files you don't need.

You really need to uninstall and reinstall with the language pack you want and you probably have beta files there you don't need either. BW mentioned that if you had the game installed before Thanksgiving weekend you really needed to uninstall and do a new install.

It sounds like you're one that had a before Thanksgiving version. Get rid of it and start fresh.

I'd be surprised if there were more than a 1-2 GB patch. It really depends on how old the build on the disk is, and I don't think anyone has a clue as to that.

You have extra stuff, on the TOR forums before they wiped them a rep said the install space needed was 27GB and the installed size was under 19GB. My current clean and full install is 18.4GB.

Wrong.

The game client is between 18 and 20 Gigs depending on your cache file. A clean install should net an 18.X GB maximum.

If you played beta, then you have ALOT of redundant files that are just taking up space. While your game should play just fine if it is updated, I would uninstall and redownload to save the space.. providing you have a decent connection and it won't take a week.

Even if the game is on 4 Dual Layer DVD's -- the size of the client is 20GB or less. Yes there may be language files, and other redundant files that are universally applied as not to have to make specific 'copies' for US, for France, etc.

Again, if your patched up now.. even with your bloated install it will play, but if you want to save space, just know you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Neofate View Post
    Wrong.

The game client is between 18 and 20 Gigs depending on your cache file. A clean install should net an 18.X GB maximum.

If you played beta, then you have ALOT of redundant files that are just taking up space. While your game should play just fine if it is updated, I would uninstall and redownload to save the space.. providing you have a decent connection and it won't take a week.

Even if the game is on 4 Dual Layer DVD's -- the size of the client is 20GB or less. Yes there may be language files, and other redundant files that are universally applied as not to have to make specific 'copies' for US, for France, etc.

Again, if your patched up now.. even with your bloated install it will play, but if you want to save space, just know you can.
    What I'm planning to do is keep my old farty bloated beta client and play on that in early access until my discs get here. Once that happens, blow everything away and do a fresh disc install.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

Think about this: retailers have had the discs for two weeks or so, and it takes about 3 weeks to press a million copies and box them, plus shipping. The version of the game that's on the DVD that your'e going to get in your box is from two months ago. There have been MANY build changes since then. You're going to end up probably downloading 10GB of stuff easy. Hope you're not on shitty DSL.

Deleted
    Well i think the concensus is that i shouldnt be worried anyway.

the date getting so close is getting me anxious

edit. to above : 10 gigs is like. more than half the game.. surely they had more than that done 2 months ago? i hope
    Last edited by mmoc21829a8d84; 2011-12-12 at 03:53 AM.

Malphaz: you should get on the website now and pre-load it; it's easier in the long run than to run in to the issue if I'm right (and I most likely am).