Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

So! Crew Skills, Which ones and why?

Slicing is interesting. It's kind of the odd duck out, but it looks super useful. Haven't decided which missions skill I'll give up for it yet, planning on going cybertech for crafting.

Biochem... it's the only skill that will be useful in a raiding situation. Plus having stims that don't consume themselves on use is badass and a huge money saver.

Probably Artifice and Archaeology.. not so sure on my 3rd one. Just want it so i can have light saber mods and what not.

Being an altoholic, I plan on having them all. Slicing is definitely a way to increase your income, though it's been nerfed repeatedly. From what I've heard, it's even been nerfed a bit since the last weekend beta.

cybertech for CC grenades.

are they instant btw? like click->choose area->it gets thrown or do you have to stand still for a cast bar etc?

Deleted
    Biochem, the market for it will never go down, and then whatever the appropriate skills to go with it are, Bioanalysis and Diplomacy I think.

Still havent decided between armormech and cybertech.

Either way, fuck slicing.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

Biochem or Cybertech.

Biochem is completely ridiculous right now if you plan on doing hardmode/nightmare mode operations. Purple adrenals/stims/medkits that never are used? Nice. Sucks that the NON BoP ones need purple mats and are consumed. Seems really imbalanced.

Main Toon
    Artifice
    Treasure hunting
    Archaeology

Can you guess the toon :P

rest of the crafts will be on my 15 alts

Quote Originally Posted by Atoj View Post
    Biochem... it's the only skill that will be useful in a raiding situation. Plus having stims that don't consume themselves on use is badass and a huge money saver.
    Why is this the only useful one? The other crafting skills all make skill-exclusive items as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PuliGT View Post
    Why is this the only useful one? The other crafting skills all make skill-exclusive items as well.
    Yep. As a commando my main reason for still considering cybertech is for, effectively, adding a couple more grenade abilities to my arsenal.(already got a few)
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

An unlimited supply of stims/adrenals/medpacks in pvp seems pretty awesome to. I don't think many players will use the consumed version.

Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    An unlimited supply of stims/adrenals/medpacks in pvp seems pretty awesome to. I don't think many players will use the consumed version.
    That depends on cost vs. value of those items/consumables and also how that compares with the other costs associated with improving your character.

The difference in stats between the reusable stims and the consumed ones at max skill is 8 primary and 4 secondary. If other crafting skills can give a comparable benefit (or better) they will be equally viable from the standpoint of maximizing your character's attributes (or better) and then you would have to factor in how much you save by having reusable items versus how much you save with the other skills.

Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    They will if they want to use any other profession. The unlimited use ones are Biochemist only. Also the best medpacs/stims/and adrenals can only be made by Biochemists, can't buy them from NPCs so it serves as a good source of credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Still havent decided between armormech and cybertech.

Either way, fuck slicing.
    Slicing is the perfect skill if you don't give a crap about crafting. It's a straight up money maker. Won't be my mains choice though. I will certainly have an alt with it : D

Quote Originally Posted by AsIlaydying View Post
    Slicing is the perfect skill if you don't give a crap about crafting. It's a straight up money maker. Won't be my mains choice though. I will certainly have an alt with it : D
    It's the perfect skill for fucking with server economies and causing stupidity in general chat >.>

Seriously, if I have to hear many more "how many credits for speeder training?" "who cares just get slicing and you'll be able to buy everything" exchanges I'm going to hit someone.

I tried out slicing in the last beta weekend. The income from the missions is certainly great as you rarely make more than the initial cost of the mission. Sometimes you might come back with double or more the cost, but sometimes you also come back with nothing so it works out about even, at least as far as I could tell in the time I tried it (and I didn't get to 50).

The benefits from slicing come in the occasional rare mission schematic you might get (I got several for treasure hunting and diplomacy) that are mainly used by other crew skills. If you don't use them yourself then you might be able to on-sell them to someone else for some coin. You can also gather loot from the game world by slicing safes and vaults. It's a bit like the other gathering professions except with slicing you are gathering pure profit. There were a lot of these safes etc in the beta weekends I played, at least as many as the other gathering nodes and they spawn fairly often. You can make a fair income from these.

The crafting professions I found good for crafting gear for yourself (and I imagine you could sell a few as well) and it's pretty easy to find the materials if you have a gathering profession like scavenging.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Slicing on your first char for sure. I'm making a slicer on each side (planning to play both concurrently) for income first, although mainly to help out with levelling my professions together with myself. During the mass beta weekend, which was the only time I got to test the game, despite being "nerfed" I still had 34000 credits at level 18, very much on track for the 40k I would need for the speeder at 25.

This was with getting all skills, levelling Artifice and Archaeology, and buying some random stuff off the AH (granted, prices were pretty low since it was just Beta, but still). Not too shabby actually. I made a couple of thousand credits off an item, so let's say I had abt 32k credits from just questing/slicing the shit out of every box I came across.

Edit: All 3 of my crew skills hit at least lvl 75 by then. Slicing was at 93 when I stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    It's the perfect skill for fucking with server economies and causing stupidity in general chat >.>

Seriously, if I have to hear many more "how many credits for speeder training?" "who cares just get slicing and you'll be able to buy everything" exchanges I'm going to hit someone.
    hrm, I didn't think it would screw with it that much, maybe I am wrong. I mean It's not like I care what words people exchange in chat. The level of stupidity you mentioned has a low annoyance level in comparison to other stuff. Not to mention, I just hide my shit.

There seems to be enough money sinks around and about that slicing will make it easier perhaps, but screwing with the whole economy? Worse case scenario they simply nerf it.

Deleted
    Sync Crafting, Underworld Trading and Archeologie!

As me and my Girlfriend will be playing Force Users, I'll craft some armor for us, was helpfull in Beta will be helpfull in Full Game
    Last edited by mmoc09e85c68df; 2011-12-12 at 08:07 AM.