Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Uh, okay.

Sure, if you want to stab your eyes out for the 100-200 hours it takes to level, that applies.
    Why does everyone need to be in such a hurry to level out? Cant we enjoy what a game has to offer without this obsession with leveling to end game? If we take what the currently strongest point of this game is and enjoy that aspect, the game will be very enjoyable. Yes, we will get to the end game and enjoy what that has to offer as well (hopefully), but there is something to be said for enjoying the journey.

Deleted
    I haven't seen the SW movies but I think this game looks fun anyway

Deleted
    I'm not really a fan of the old SW movies, and I loathe the prequels.

Love this game though. Just be happy George Lucas has 0 input in this

I've only been playing a few hours thanks to my early-access, but so far I can say without hesitation that this game has a LOT of potential. I already am completely immersed in the story(ies), and the game-play is a lot more involving than I'm used to in an MMO (e.g., WoW).

I'd recommend this game to a lot of people, as long as you don't "hate" Star Wars. Even if you did, I'd still recommend it based on the sheer quality of the game. Can't say much about whether or not the monthly sub is going to be worth it, but for $60 you'd easily get your money's worth, at least for a month.

PS: I had my doubts before release, after seeing some of the beta videos. I'm very pleased to say that they were all unfounded.

I'm seeing a surprising amount of "I like the lore OK, but I didn't really care for the movies" here. And that's totally cool, but I feel obligated to ask these people, just so we're on the same page: you've given THE Star Wars movies a shot, right? Not the convoluted, woodenly-acted CGI-fests that marked the beginning of George Lucas' descent into madness, but the ones from 30 years ago, with Harrison Ford and Sir Alec Fucking Guinness?!?

Just checking.

On-topic... If you like the "traditional" (Diku -> EQ -> WoW -> Rift etc.) MMO model, SW:TOR is a well-done version of that. If you like story-driven games (SW fan or not, there's good story here), that's another reason to like SW:TOR.

Most folks bashing the game want something more innovative in an MMO, and feel that story doesn't really count.

Deleted
    Personally i'm gonna wait for a free trial, i'm tempted to try it but £45 seems an awful lot for something i might end up not enjoying

The star wars lore is very good but the movies was cheap and bad imo. I am sure Bioware will get it much better through their story telling excellent technique and I will enjoy it...plus don't forget also that it is different thing to be part of the story , than just watch a movie
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Deleted
    If you don't hate Star Wars, I would say, give it a try.

I wasn't that into SW before playing Bioware's games...now I like it very much. Not an expert, by far, but I know a bit and loved the beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler View Post
    i LIKE star wars, but i dont LOVE star wars... so i'm avoiding the game completely.
    You're posting in a thread on a message board forum dedicated entirely to TOR. You're off to a stellar start to this "completely avoiding" thing.

---------- Post added 2011-12-13 at 06:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tgrosh View Post
    Why does everyone need to be in such a hurry to level out? Cant we enjoy what a game has to offer without this obsession with leveling to end game? If we take what the currently strongest point of this game is and enjoy that aspect, the game will be very enjoyable. Yes, we will get to the end game and enjoy what that has to offer as well (hopefully), but there is something to be said for enjoying the journey.
    People play games differently and enjoy different things.

News at 11!

Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    100-200 hours is only 4-8 days.
    We have people who will be 50 before the 20th. Trust me.

---------- Post added 2011-12-13 at 01:28 PM ----------

I think the most important thing to be said here is this:

I don't think liking the Warcraft lore was at all necessary for enjoying WoW. Why would it be any different here?

I like Star Wars but I wouldn't call myself a fan or anything, and I really really enjoyed the game. But I can honestly say I am more interested in Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, or some other fantasy/sci-fi universes than I am in Star Wars. I have seen the original 3 movies maybe 3-4 times each on average, and the newer 3...once each.
    I know crap about SW lore and such but the story in TOR is amazing. It really gets you. The rest of the game is great as well but there is no way around the fact that TOR is centered on the story and it more than delivers from what I played.
    I am sure though, for the true SW fans, this game is even better. And thats great, but it doesn't mean you can't really enjoy the game without being a huge fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Destian View Post
    I think the most important thing to be said here is this:

I don't think liking the Warcraft lore was at all necessary for enjoying WoW. Why would it be any different here?
    It would, really. In WoW you could just accept the quests without reading it. You can spacebar through most of the conversations in TOR, but you still have to pick dialogue options and stuff. I imagine if you don't care about the story at all that would get really old really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    It would, really. In WoW you could just accept the quests without reading it. You can spacebar through most of the conversations in TOR, but you still have to pick dialogue options and stuff. I imagine if you don't care about the story at all that would get really old really fast.
    What does picking dialogue options have to do with SW lore?

Even the dark/lightside options are common in many, MANY games where you choose to be good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Destian View Post
    What does picking dialogue options have to do with SW lore?

Even the dark/lightside options are common in many, MANY games where you choose to be good or bad.
    If you don't care about the story it's going to get really annoying to have to stop and pick choices when you just want to zoom on to the next quest.

I wasn't into Warcraft lore when I started playing wow, and I guess you would get the same feeling I did. I still don't care TOO much about the lore, but I did get into it some. Maybe you should try it and you'll learn to love it. As you should.

Quote Originally Posted by lifeinblack View Post
    i am not a star wars fan, i have never seen any of the movies. i dont know anything about the story except jedi is good and darth vader is bad. i still thought the game is very addictive. i had a lot of fun playing it.

Maybe this game will motivate you to go watch the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    Maybe this game will motivate you to go watch the movies.
    Everything BioWare has done with the license is better than anything Lucas has ever done so I would suggest not watching the movies after playing any BioWare Star Wars game because it is bound to be a let down.

Even the five minute cinematic CGI trailers for TOR are better than anything Lucas ever did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Longest thread title ever!

Think about how many people play/played WoW without knowing or caring about Warcraft? Same answer for SWTOR with star wars.

If you don't like Starwars you might find it hard to immerse yourself in the story or the game itself right off the bat. However Bioware Starwars games really do stand on their own, and as a big SW nerd myself, I can honestly say I enjoy the KotoR games' stories more than the actual movies.(as well as the rest of the expanded universe)

If you're just looking for gameplay n' such, if you like WoW you should feel right at home. The gameplay itself is pretty similar(as most MMOs of the same formula). It obviously has some differences, and they are big enough to make the game stand out and not feel like a WoW clone.

But if you don't care for the starwars universe at all you might have a tough time getting into the single player questing experience(which is a big and very well done aspect of the game)but then again if it isn't your thing you can just skip through it(do not recommend!). However if you're looking for something new, it's totally worth a shot.. and you never know you just might get sucked into the story and become a Starwars fan.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've never stayed awake through an entire star wars movie, and i preordered this game the first day it was available... have been in 3 weekend betas which confirmed for me that this game is a blast if you like MMOs.

Only one of my friends has gotten into early access so far, so I'm playing an "alt" Imperial Agent along side my friends BH to kill time till we can all lvl our mains together, and even though I really have no interest in the Imperial Agent I'm still having a really good time thanks to the story, the flow of questing, and atmosphere.

I can't comment on what end game content is like, but the process of getting there has been enjoyable... I'd say if you like MMOs, that you'll like this.