High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

i5 2500 combinations.

Just looking to see what are some of the better combinations of mobos/ram/vid cards with the i5 2500. Definitely going to be getting an i5 2500 soon so I figured I'd look to upgrade all the other peripherals. Any responses would be great.

---------- Post added 2011-12-23 at 03:27 PM ----------

Should of probably stated that I'm going from a i5 760, gtx 460 vid car, and some msi board that I can't remember the name of the model at work!

Fuzzeekee
    A lot of people recommend this motherboard. I'm personally getting one, take a look and see if it matches your needs and price range: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157271 (the power system is pretty decent compared to cheaper z68 boards, and the features are decent...) ...All the ram for this board is basically the same price. I prefer the corsair units as they aren't bad for budget memory. Gskill *can* be a better brand, but the price is quite different in my country unfortunately. ...You can get away with 8GB of DDR3, and you'll be totally fine. I have 4GB right now (not so good with lots of programs going + my games, I'm nearly maxed out)

I went with the Asrock fatal1ty p67 for my 2500k and couldnt be happier

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Fuzz, I actually looked at that board on newegg.com, but I'm so not up to times with the new gen stuff that my brain has been getting overloaded with all this new stuff to go through, that seems like a decent board. Haven't looked at the p67 but I sure will!

Don't buy a motherboard with features you don't like or will use. Won't overclock? H67 or Z68, or any motherboard without an overabundance of power phases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novarx View Post
    Should of probably stated that I'm going from a i5 760, gtx 460 vid car, and some msi board that I can't remember the name of the model at work!
    Definitely wait before you upgrade your CPU, then. At least until Ivy Bridge, but preferably a generation further. I'd scratch my head at what the I5-2500 could do that an overclocked i5-760 couldn't do comparably.

Seeing how I run that CPU myself, and it's nowhere close to being the weaker link in my build (my motherboard is, ironically, meaning I will get slim benefit from anything over a HD6970, which I incidentally use.)