I need help upgrading my system for SWTOR

I have very little computer knowledge, but I need to do some updating to run SWTOR.

My System Specs
    Manufacturer: Toshiba
    Mode: Satellite A505
    Processor: Intel core i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz
    RAM: 4GB
    GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD

All of this should be fine for running the game, but I know I need a new graphics card. The graphics in game seem to indicate that my gpu is overheating. So my big question is, what is a good cheap gpu that is compatible with my computer? I'd like to get one as cheap as possible but also don't want a downgrade. Is there any other system upgrades that I should make so the gaming experience isn't terrible?

short answer: you can't upgrade

basically - you cant upgrade a laptop's GPU. I think NVIDIA has an external one - but not sure if it actually helps. There are several technical problems with a GPU being outside the PC on a USB (latency/bandwidth/maybe even buggy drivers). Maybe you could replace the entire motherboard, but its going to cost a lot - if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Costia View Post
    short answer: you can't upgrade

basically - you cant upgrade a laptop's GPU. I think NVIDIA has an external one - but not sure if it actually helps. There are several technical problems with a GPU being outside the PC on a USB (latency/bandwidth/maybe even buggy drivers). Maybe you could replace the entire motherboard, but its going to cost a lot - if at all possible.
    Thanks. I found some info online that pretty much says the same. If your gpu goes after the warranty then your laptop is pretty much screwed I guess, so thats a pretty bad deal. Atleast its still fine for WoW at the moment...yay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I think SWTOR was the best thing to happen to local computer parts companies!

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandalore View Post
    Yeah I think SWTOR was the best thing to happen to local computer parts companies!
    I've sold more PC upgrades for Battlefield 3 than any other game to date. Although I did have several people pop in looking to upgrade for WoW:Cataclysm.

It is to be expected though that quite a few people picking this game up have little to no experience with PC components and what is required to play the game.

Nowadays you can build a system for very little money that will perform reasonably well Computer forums are worth checking out as well as Chauds builds that sneak onto the front page every so often.

Now I'm wondering if it is really even my computer at all. Other people seem to be having the same issue and only with this game. The only other game I have played recently on computer is WoW so I figured maybe SWTOR was much more demanding.

Since I can't really explain whats happening, I have found a youtube video with the same issue.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKO6Ke4iDok

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozarib View Post
    Nowadays you can build a system for very little money that will perform reasonably well Computer forums are worth checking out as well as Chauds builds that sneak onto the front page every so often.
    Was about to suggest the same thing. Laptops are generally hard to upgrade. Chaud's setup of the month is about 4-5 news posts down on the front page. Any of those machines will handle SWTOR with a reasonable level of success.

Deleted
    No, it wont have a chance to take all 10 million players, or beat the wow record with 12 millions players! NO CHANCE IN HELL!

BUT! yea ofc it can survive.. if they still have 3+million subs in 4 months..yea sure.. but i dont think they will

I think you posted in the wrong thread emo. Anyway, it seems that there is no way to upgrade the graphics card for my laptop. Hopefully it isn't the card itself then and swtor customer service can get back to me with a solution. Sucks not being able to play the game on a laptop thats not even that old.