Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    Deleted

Can you see ToR taking over WoW?

Whats your thoughts on this? I myself see ToR has potential.

10+ Year Old Account
    Waiting until a majority of people get to end game, that's where the actual fight is.

Not a chance. It'll last, won't be the top however.
    Bleh

No, because it's star wars and sci-fi. It might attract a lot of people, but at the same time because of that reason it'll keep a lot of people away.

Personally, I don't see anything short of a new blizzard game over taking WoW.
    Last edited by Thedistant; 2011-12-21 at 03:56 AM.

Immediately, as in the first 6 months of it being out, definitely a no. But if Bioware can release some epic patches in the future, and manage to balance PVP to a reasonable state, I could see wow losing a large amount of its subs.

As much as I really do want the next "BIG" MMO to be here already SWTOR is not it. Not because it's a "bad" game, simply because of this scenario; I have put close to seven years into my WoW characters. The only thing that will make me pick up another MMO is one that can be labeled as a "game changer" to the MMO world. SWTOR is not a game changer as much as it is WoW with lightsabers. I know quite a bit of the MMO community (some old players especially) feel the same, many who are leaving World of Warcraft do not want to simply transfer over to another MMO that is extremely similar (though different in SOME aspects). With that being said no, it will not be "the MMO", though I do not doubt it will do very well simply because it is Star Wars.

I think it could, not because it reaches wow's record numbers, but because wow keeps bleeding due to age and all that goes with it

if they follow up on the major hints they dropped the other day about the future planned updates....maybe.

space flight alone (which was actually mentioned) would kick it up a notch.

other things need tweaked and nudged as per with an mmo ofc.

it'll be interested to see if they have any plans to launch the game in Japan.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Yes, WoW is too old, Titan might compete with TOR in 2014 if is ever released.

Warcraft Fans down to what 9 million?.
    Star Wars Fans. 100+ millions (estimated).

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BCFCrn View Post
    Whats your thoughts on this? I myself see ToR has potential.
    Yes, but it will be equal measures "WoW just keeps getting worse" and "here's something shiny, new, and most importantly not complete shit".
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

It does have a good chance of becoming a top MMO, but perhaps not "the" top MMO. The IP has quite of bit of lore and and a fan following, as well as Bioware being quite popular, but that doesn't garuntee success. Star Trek has been around for 2 decades longer than Star Wars and it's MMO hasn't made that large impact on the WoW playerbase. With there being so few choices of class and specialization compared to wow they have a much easier job of balancing. Four classes and two specializations versus Ten classes and three specializations. So if done properly I think the game could possibly be more balanced than WoW. Only time will tell though. Too soon to tell.

ye but the Star Trek MMO has...issues....not least of which is it's almost nothing like Star Trek (in essence) and a heap of shit.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

10+ Year Old Account
    If they release some great end game content then yeah maybe, but wow is wow, hate it or not, its going to be hard too beat, first couple of months is the decider on whether its gonna be a hit or a miss.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinator View Post
    Yes, WoW is too old, Titan might compete with TOR in 2014 if is ever released.

Warcraft Fans down to what 9 million?.
    Star Wars Fans. 100+ millions (estimated).
    warcraft fans 9 millions...

your not the smartest guy i guess

most of the players who played wow are even now warcraft fans after they quit wow;
    a lot of ppl are warcraft fans and havent even played wow or another mmo
    9 mio is so wrong in so many ways

b2t: no it won't;
    it brings nothing to the table in my eyes (opinion!)

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    No, because it's star wars and sci-fi. It might attract a lot of people, but at the same time because of that reason it'll keep a lot of people away.
    What's this suppose to mean? I don't like the Star War movies, books, comics, whatever they have...but the game looks amazing.

Bozzna, And you have to get personal why? NM i know why! you are a 12 YO kid!

No, I do not see it ever overtaking WoW. I see it a year from now as being just another MMO and WoW still being far ahead. SWTOR will survive however just as LOTRO has survived and is still putting out new content with only a 700,000 estimated subscription base.
    Last edited by Dch48; 2011-12-21 at 04:12 AM.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

from what I've seen on how many servers they have and how many are full or heavy+ populations i'm going to guess from a financial stand point it is a success