Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodaway View Post
    Hopefully one will be added in soon.
    NO! It takes the social part out of an MMO. Besides you meet other players on your server and it builds a community. WoW has one and it's made it a very bad, although convenient to use, community.

Besides you'll play better because you won't be "ransomed" into a group of players that aren't on your realm.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasok1986 View Post
    LFD should have never appeared in WOW at first place.

I have another question. How to queue to Warzone? Can't find )))
    What? LFD is awesome in WoW. YOu don't have to waste time spamming LFG doing nothing, and you can continue to quest. You don't have to travel anywhere either. In TOR you have to take a shuttle back to the imp fleet which is just a waste of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuesdaes_mad View Post
    NO! It takes the social part out of an MMO. Besides you meet other players on your server and it builds a community. WoW has one and it's made it a very bad, although convenient to use, community.

Besides you'll play better because you won't be "ransomed" into a group of players that aren't on your realm.
    Who says doing LFD isn't social? You still communicate with people. And if you play bad or ninja you can still get reported and obviously kicked from the group.
    Last edited by hexify; 2011-12-21 at 02:19 PM.

I want the LFG system WoW used to have before ICC (or ToC?), where you just sign yourself up for a raid/dungeon and everyone can see you, and you can see everyone else. Very nice system.

I hope it's implemented sooner rather than later. Seems when I'm online most the folks in my guild are higher level than me, so I have to look through chat to find a group. Spamming DPS LFG Hammer Station, has gotten little interest the last couple of days :-/

EDIT
    This thread is going to turn into the exact same thing as the other 50 threads about the topic.

No, LFD takes away the social interaction
    vs
    Yes, I don't want to sit in chat spamming LFD all day

However, bioware has already stated they are going to put in a LFD system at some point, the question just lies in exactly how they implement it
    Last edited by Gerendfs; 2011-12-21 at 02:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atree496 View Post
    I can't disagree more. I can remember trying to get a group together during TBC, it was awful. TOR so far only has story to really give it an edge, but when people want to play together and start taking it too seriously like WoW, I think people will stop playing it.
    I hope the people that do stop, are those oxy-morons that ruins every game they come by.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by hexify View Post
    What? LFD is awesome in WoW. YOu don't have to waste time spamming LFG doing nothing, and you can continue to quest. You don't have to travel anywhere either. In TOR you have to take a shuttle back to the imp fleet which is just a waste of time.

Who says doing LFD isn't social? You still communicate with people. And if you play bad or ninja you can still get reported and obviously kicked from the group.
    You honor your avatar.

Not using a cross-realm automated lfd system works. Ive had more social interaction in TOR with random people in the past 5 days then i have in WoW in the past 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    You honor your avatar.

Not using a cross-realm automated lfd system works. Ive had more social interaction in TOR with random people in the past 5 days then i have in WoW in the past 12 months.
    Don't worry sir, you will be social enough in end game raids.
    If you want to be social without the LFD system go outside and meet people.

I would say a nice compromise would be to have the LFD system, but only for your own server. With the way the servers are currently there appears to be a huge amount of people on each server, so queues shouldn't be an issue.

That said, the majority of people's complaints with LFD are because the community is shit. That's not really Blizzard's (or will be Bioware's) fault, is it? Let's be honest here: how many people that are saying no to LFD have gone out of their way to say more than 'hi' and 'bye' in each dungeon run they did in WoW? If you actually put the effort in and tried to be friendly, then maybe other people would do the same?

Sure, there's no consequences to being a dick when it's a cross realm thing, but there shouldn't need to be a punishment to prevent people from acting like tools. People should be nice to others, simply for the sake of being nice.

That mindset has to start somewhere, and in all honesty it can't come from Bioware. It has to come from us. LFD is an incredibly useful tool: when implemented in WoW it boosted the amount of dungeon runs immensely (anyone remember the 'not enough instances' spam in early 3.3? Yeah, that was because of LFD and how many more people were actually running dungeons). The tool itself is not evil. It does not kill communities by itself. The community does that to itself.

Take the effort to say more than 'hi' and 'bye'. Say more than the tactics. Don't rise to the bait of trolls who try to anger you. Just report them, votekick, and move on. If you want there to be a good community, then take the steps to create it yourself. Others will, in theory, see the effort you put in and do the same.

Don't worry sir, you will be social enough in end game raids.
    If you want to be social without the LFD system go outside and meet people.
    I don't see how end game raids makes you social, unless you mean interacting with the same 7-15 other people in your guild group 2-4 nights a week.

That's not really the point though. What's great about MMOs is meeting random people, and interacting with them. Dungeons are a great way to find new friends, and when you make a quick system like WoW's LFD, it starts to feel more like a chore and less like an activity you actually want to do, because you are being rushed to do it in the quickest time possible. Quick queuing, instant teleporting, and people are just there out of nowhere.

When there is no reason to talk to other people, people don't usually do it. LFD takes that away.

This is probably the 100th time I've joined a LFD discussion though, so I'm out. Every argument and counter argument is way overplayed.

I really hope theres no LFD for SWTOR. Every quest or flashpoint in which I needed people, I found within 2-3 minutes of just posting "LFG ______".

Even in vanilla and TBC it wasnt hard to find a group. Never took me more then 5 minutes or so, even when looking for a tank on a low/medium pop server. My guild had a good rep and was known to have decent players in it. The only people I ever ignored to invite were people who I heard caused problems from reading the wow forums, or were just jackasses in trade chat.

It's very easy. Stop being lazy.

TLDR: your rep will follow you in SWTOR just like it did in vanilla and TBC. Will make people think twice for ninja'ing and being rude to others because ever since LFD was put in WoW there is NO consequence to being the biggest @#$%^ in the world.
    Last edited by Chingylol; 2011-12-21 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    I really hope theres no LFD for SWTOR. Every quest or flashpoint in which I needed people, I found within 2-3 minutes of just posting "LFG ______".

Even in vanilla and TBC it wasnt hard to find a group. Never took me more then 5 minutes or so, even when looking for a tank on a low/medium pop server. My guild had a good rep and was known to have decent players in it.

It's very easy. Stop being lazy.
    You know why it was easy? Because you were in a zone with people your level.
    In TOR you have to travel to the imperial fleet and sit there and spam, while most of the people your level are questing, not waiting for flashpoint groups at the fleet.

You know why it was easy? Because you were in a zone with people your level.
    In TOR you have to travel to the imperial fleet and sit there and spam, while most of the people your level are questing, not waiting for flashpoint groups at the fleet.
    It's the exact same as having to go to SW and IF to spam trade for a group for heroic shattered halls or BOT. I don't understand what you're trying to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    It's the exact same as having to go to SW and IF to spam trade for a group. I don't understand what you're trying to say?
    Wow had normal instances(flashpoints) in leveling zones. While you were questing, you could spam the general in that zone(but now you have the LFD so you can find groups quicker).
    In tor, you have to goto the imperial fleet. And I have yet to see people saying "LFG flashpoints" in any leveling zone yet. Playing on a full server.

Wow had normal instances(flashpoints) in leveling zones. While you were questing, you could spam the general in that zone(but now you have the LFD so you can find groups quicker).
    In tor, you have to goto the imperial fleet. And I have yet to see people saying "LFG flashpoints" in any leveling zone yet. Playing on a full server.
    So you take your ship and you travel there. No big deal. And it might be "difficult" to start up a group in your teen levels but after your 20s, if you are good at your class and socialize well you will have a list of friends who will request you to run instances. Right now I have so many people requesting I join them because after every run I always made sure I ask they add me to their friends' list if I did a good job in my role.

Anyway, BW said there will be a LFD. But by then most of us will already have a core group of players we like to run with (which is what you are suppose to create when a new MMO is launched). So, I assume the LFD will be for alts and new players who did not join during launch.
    I'm still thinking about it...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    I would say a nice compromise would be to have the LFD system, but only for your own server. With the way the servers are currently there appears to be a huge amount of people on each server, so queues shouldn't be an issue.

That said, the majority of people's complaints with LFD are because the community is shit. That's not really Blizzard's (or will be Bioware's) fault, is it? Let's be honest here: how many people that are saying no to LFD have gone out of their way to say more than 'hi' and 'bye' in each dungeon run they did in WoW? If you actually put the effort in and tried to be friendly, then maybe other people would do the same?

Sure, there's no consequences to being a dick when it's a cross realm thing, but there shouldn't need to be a punishment to prevent people from acting like tools. People should be nice to others, simply for the sake of being nice.

That mindset has to start somewhere, and in all honesty it can't come from Bioware. It has to come from us. LFD is an incredibly useful tool: when implemented in WoW it boosted the amount of dungeon runs immensely (anyone remember the 'not enough instances' spam in early 3.3? Yeah, that was because of LFD and how many more people were actually running dungeons). The tool itself is not evil. It does not kill communities by itself. The community does that to itself.

Take the effort to say more than 'hi' and 'bye'. Say more than the tactics. Don't rise to the bait of trolls who try to anger you. Just report them, votekick, and move on. If you want there to be a good community, then take the steps to create it yourself. Others will, in theory, see the effort you put in and do the same.
    This expresses my feelings on the entire situation. I do remember both the good and the bad of not having LFD/LFR. Hence why i feel this is a great compromise. I do miss the days when servers and the guilds that populate them had reputations to uphold. I loved when you would spam General Chat and find a group, and when you enter you know most of them from previous groups or even from questing. I have never seen the same person twice in LFD/LFR.

One thing i would like to point out is the waiting time. As DPS my queue times are anywhere between 10mins - 30mins, this was not far off from when we did not have LFD/LFR. The difference is that you can queue and forget, you don't have to spam every minute to keep your LFG request fresh in the chat box, and you could run off and farm herbs or what have you. I can not speak for anyone but myself, but i do not really leave SW. I hate farming, and do not do dailies. So really it would not be a burden to me to stay in an area of major population and ask around for a group.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwickslash View Post
    There isn't one and I hope there never is.
    Thank you.

Or at least.. Never to be made cross-server. At the least..

10+ Year Old Account
    I have yet to begin playing Swtor, but i most definitely will be once i have the $60 to buy it. I have a question for you though, is there a General Chat on each planet? If so, i can't see it being terribly difficult at this moment to find people on the same planet that you can get together for a flashpoint.

Though i do see 6 months to a year from now, when the lower level area's become less populated it becoming more difficult to find people via General Chat on a questing planet.

Whilst I immediately thought no way no thanks never, a server wide LFG tool would not be so bad.

A simple queue system for each server, pretty much the same without the general chat spam

Quote Originally Posted by Nasok1986 View Post
    It was not awful, it was showing who is good player, who is bad player. Attunement system worked perfectly.

Yes, there were less people to search from, but with Heroic key you could be sure that "this guy knows what he is doing" and without key "don't" since he did not invested needed time to learn and clean the dungeon couple of times.

And i was lonely elemental shaman on all Scarshield Legion server during TBC .. i mean among top 20 server guilds and even not having control function (you know common groups were rogue, mage, hunter) i was one of the most welcomed member for any group leaders...because you know what? Reputation and community, many people knew me as good player...and that because of NO LFD..

What we have now in WOW? Just mechanical robots runs through dungeons "Piece of Cake 1" "Piece of Cake 2" where no one knows anyone...whats the purpose of MMO then?
    I disagree completely. Time invested does not in any way equal skill. You could still end up with a bad group in the old system, which was even more punishing since it meant a much longer time investment just to get a group up and running. Attunement did not separate the good and the bad. It was nothing more than an unneeded time sink.

If they do ever decide to put in an dungeon finder style system, i pray that it is server only. Cross realm dungeons were one of the biggest causes of Wows loss of community.