Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Spy View Post
    Press button - wait half a second - ability triggers.

Mouse over server latency - 32 MS

It is just short of the point where it makes me not want to play at all. but it's damn close. The delay is so ridiculous at times i can't stand it.
    How long ago did you play? I'm pretty sure they improved upon that for certain abilities in a recent patch.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see a lot of people saying that wow has been around for 7 years, where as star wars a week. Because of this you cannot compare them.

Think of this - WoW may have been around for 7 years, it's seen a lot of changes and can learn from them. Now you would say ToR hasn't had that time to go through the same cycle as wow and learn from it's mistakes, but what's stopping bioware from learning from WoW's mistakes and getting it right first time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...
    Check me out on youtube! Playthroughs of Diablo 3, Minecraft and many other games with daily content!

It is just short of the point where it makes me not want to play at all. but it's damn close. The delay is so ridiculous at times i can't stand it.
    half a second? :> im not even noticing this delay and i played wow for over 6 years. maybe your are mistaking the time it takes for the damage to be delivered with activation of the skill?

Deleted

There's an option for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmybob117 View Post
    I see a lot of people saying that wow has been around for 7 years, where as star wars a week. Because of this you cannot compare them.

Think of this - WoW may have been around for 7 years, it's seen a lot of changes and can learn from them. Now you would say ToR hasn't had that time to go through the same cycle as wow and learn from it's mistakes, but what's stopping bioware from learning from WoW's mistakes and getting it right first time?
    yeah but they still copied wow's terribad talent-tree system. it feels so 18th century and i would have loved to se biowares approach on this one(those guys are just brilliant over there). but sadly picking talents for your character in sw:tor feels exactly the same like in wow. 5 points to move up a tier. on the 11. talentpoint you get a new ability and theres even the ultimate from each tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Ildurnest View Post
    This post is absolutely FAKE. These are complete lies...
    All skills have a different, proper animation, and were talking dozens of skills per advanced class. And they are not stiff, the models are framed fluidly.
    You can't be serious. Nearly all the abilities of my Jedi sentinel look the same, and the animations are ridiculously stiff. I honestly don't foresee any MMO ever coming close to WoW when it comes to controlling your character.

Quote Originally Posted by Emias View Post
    Probably because it has been around for less than a what, a week? Let's see, WoW has been around for what, 7 years? Great judgement.
    WoW has definitely controlled the same for these 7 years. Improved customization to controls maybe came later, but the camera and movement has always been dead perfectly tight.

Swtor is a bit weird in some ways. There's no way to turn off smart cam (yet) and the actual camera control doesn't feel like 1:1. Every time I go back to wow it feels like my camera control is spot on perfect; character movement as well to an extent. Having said that swotor is still very good.
    Their physics engine is light on the hardware but makes robes and twi'lek head tentacles move naturally, big bonus to the aesthetics and feel/control over the character.

The jump is...weird? You really only want to jump if you actually need the vertical navigation as you slow down when you jump. That has been surprisingly annoying to me as someone who is used to jumping alot in WoW and some other mmos.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimpan View Post
    It's not fair to compare WOW and SWTOR as WOW has been out for 7 years, 7 years of improving the small errors that they have yet to discover.However, compare SWTOR and VANILLA.... and SWTOR wins.
    And what's the point? You compare games with the actual competition, which is WoW after 7 years of improvement, not Vanilla WoW. Nobody cares that ToR is way better than Vanilla was, nobody's playing Vanilla anymore. It's perfectly fair to compare ToR with the WoW we have today. Because Bioware had all the time in the world to have a look at all the improvements WoW has had over the years and implement them in their game.

And on the main topic, ToR is a nice game, but if you're looking for a new revolution to fall in love with, next! It's just same old same old, and there are quite a bit of things ToR is doing worst than WoW, the movements in particular are terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakobo15 View Post
    Armour textures are better in wow, polygon counts and combat animations seem better in swtor.

Not trying to troll, go look at t11-13 level armour on max setting then look at tor armour, the textures in wow are better but they're on lower quality models.
    You haven't even seen operation armor lol good job prematurely commenting

How about we compare leveling armor with WoWs clown-tier leveling armor?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    yeah but they still copied wow's terribad talent-tree system. it feels so 18th century and i would have loved to se biowares approach on this one(those guys are just brilliant over there). but sadly picking talents for your character in sw:tor feels exactly the same like in wow. 5 points to move up a tier. on the 11. talentpoint you get a new ability and theres even the ultimate from each tree.
    Actually in this game I like the old talent system. Yes it feels dated, but it works for this game. Reason being is that being a hybrid can actually be very handy, be it for occasional PvP or quick flashpoint healing with DPS as main, or do it all (commando!)

Also if you want an optimum spec to do the most of whatever it is you're doing, it's pretty easy to see what talents are good and which ones are bad...not that I've ever had that issue with any of WoW's talents since its release.

edit:
    And yes, I think it's ridiculous people think Bioware have to re invent the wheel on everything. However there is still the element of time. While a lot of Blizzard's development time seems to be in research (figuring out what is fun etc) it also takes time to actually make. And this is something WoW's been through since it started development, which is longer than 7 years.
    Last edited by Kashim; 2011-12-24 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmybob117 View Post

IMO they already did.

uhm sw:tors storyline is pretty epic imo. im playing it 100% grouped with my best buddy and we're having a blast. never has there been an mmo where you could play "real" coop together, it cant be described in words how much im liking that.
    its also interesting because my buddy is choosing the dark path most of the time while im going with the good path. so its quite the jeopardy most of time on whats gonna happen in a mission

Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    WOAH WOAH. Don't even bring this blizzard bullcrap over to tor. As I was leveling my sorc today I got to tier 3 of the lightning tree and was acutally stumped of where to put my talent point, each of the 4 talents are amazing. This tree not only makes each level that much more exciting, but I get great diversity and the ability to hybrid ANYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Funky View Post
    Hello,

I'm contemplating my purchase because I'm worried about one thing.

I have read up and researched the game and watched countless videos and it does interest me but I am worried about the movement and feel about the game. Ever since I have quit wow I havent been able to find a game that "feels" like wow, you know? the way the character moves means a lot to me for pve/pvp situations and I wanted to know if the movement is like wow in terms of sensitivity and feel.

If it's like wow then I'll most likely buy.
    I think I know what you mean, the patented Blizzard "polish" that gives you an instant connect between activating an ability and seeing something happen on-screen (even if there is a delay before the cast-bar starts moving) and the sense that your character is really moving through the world rather than being an animated model skating over the top. If that's what you mean I totally understand because I've been put off MMOs in the first few levels because they didn't give as good a "feel" as WoW.

Any way SW:tOR isn't as polished as WoW in that regard but the questing and combat is so much fun I've barely noticed, I really recommend giving it a go.

Deleted
    This reminds me, isn't a sort of free trial for testing the game?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo View Post
    Movement and feel is vastly different than WoW.....................................................for the worse.

Characters in SW:ToR are extremely stiff, look a little bit "funny" and animations aren't very fluent.

WoW characters have better textures, move very fluently (no stiff feel to them), and animations are superior in every single way than the SW:ToR models.

One thing SW:ToR does better than any other game ever, is the CGI and story telling which is completely amazing. The actual game is still a carbon copy kill, loot, repeat though of every other MMO.
    I play swtor just one day, but i haven´t noticed any of that you mentioned above.(besides your last point)

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    The combat is clunky, your companion delays all the time, the character movements are garbage. The quests are a complete joke as well. It's literally kill these mobs "x" amount of times or collect/disable such and such. It's getting so repetitive and mind numbing boring. Again, JMO.
    ^^ this guy definitely hasn't played the game!

Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo View Post
    High res textures arent anywhere near as important as the artwork that has gone into creating them. The artwork in WoW textures are vastly superior than SW:ToR (in general), which looks bland in comparison ans "samey". WoW has a massive amount of different "looks" to it, whereas SW:ToR, everything looks "samey".
    The gear looks better in TOR. It might look more "flashy" in WoW because of the bright colors used and the whole "cartoon theme" of the game. Look at the two side by side and WoW doesn't compare. Compare equal level gear from each game. Hell, compare end game TOR gear to level 60 raid gear.

Same as polygon counts. ONe negative of high polygon counts is that the overall smoothness of the game will be worse since you need a higher spec PC to run it. SW:ToR will never play as smooth as WoW because of the simple fact it has higher polygon counts.

I've stated many times, if you cant play a new MMO on a 3 year old PC, then you are gimping your potential subscription numbers.
    My computer is about to turn 5 years old and it runs pretty decent. True only a few of the settings are on high but it's still above medium (shadows low of course) so no loss from people with 3 year old computers unless they were just complete trash then too. People want to move ahead, not be stuck in the past "because it runs better since it doesn't require much processing power".

10+ Year Old Account
    after playing it for the past 2 days almost non stop....ill say the movement is literally exactly the same as WoW. I dont like the jump however. for some reason i feel like its almost useless since you dont get as much distance when running and jumping as you do in WoW. That may just be my personal experience though. other than that.....its really pretty much the exact same.

I've pointed out earlier an exact example of how swtor's animations are weak.

If you cast Lightning Strike(1.5s cast spell) and then Force Lightning(channeled spell) immediately after, the animations get all screwed up. Bioware decided to keep the Lightning Strike animation going after the actual cast so it eats into the animation time for Force Lightning. And for some reason, there's like a half second delay before the Force Lighting animation starts so all in all, the animation doesn't start until around 1.3s into a 3 second channel. And when you get a certain proc, the spell only channels for 1.5s, so there's barely any animation at all.

It just seems like Bioware did not bother trying to smooth out chained animations. They gave a spell an animation and said, OK, good enough!

Blizzard, on the other hand, has always spent a ton of time on their animations. In Diablo, people would theorycraft based on how many frames each animation took. On many of the WoW caster animations, many timed spell casts end up in the same position that the channeled casts start from and the animations are during the cast, not after the cast when you might have started on another spell, so it feels much more in sync.