Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I thought the issue was that weapon models (most specifically light sabers) barely change at all from level one to level fifty
    From what I am reading people are upset they can't use a different type of weapon. For example a pistol instead of a rifle, or a dualsaber instead of 2 1h sabers.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Deleted
    pistols and rifles and blasters they can certainly change the art up on, i suppose they can also change the looks of the lightsaber handles i guess. least they allow you to pick the colours for youself

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    Like I said there was never a choice to begin with. In those "other" games you talk about you never picked what you thought looked the best. You always took the weapon with the best stats for you. At least this way you can customize the weapon you have.
    You don't actually read what I type do you? I didn't say anything about picking what looked best. I didn't say anything about swtor needing transmog.

You make a Sith Juggernaut. He can now and only ever use 1 1handed lightsaber. He cannot dual weild. He cannot use a dual sided. The game makes it so every advanced class can only use one single, identical weapon.

A dps merc can dualwield blaster pistols. He cannot use 1 pistol because his abilites actually say you need 2. He cannot use a rifle because his abilities actually say he needs 2 pistols.

But that's fine if you dont understand what I'm saying, maybe someday you will. I do understand they did this to be simple so gearing requires no thought or effort. It's fine when the game is brand new but will because much more obvious when you character becomes even more bland and cookiecutter from every possible aspect.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the fact that you are given the option to use the same armor and weapon as long as you like just as long as you can keep the mods up to date with you lvl. Like me, i've had my armor since I was lvl 23-34, now my Sith Jugg is 35... I basically look like a futuristic Darth vader.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drek View Post
    You don't actually read what I type do you? I didn't say anything about picking what looked best. I didn't say anything about swtor needing transmog.

You make a Sith Juggernaut. He can now and only ever use 1 1handed lightsaber. He cannot dual weild. He cannot use a dual sided. The game makes it so every advanced class can only use one single, identical weapon.

A dps merc can dualwield blaster pistols. He cannot use 1 pistol because his abilites actually say you need 2. He cannot use a rifle because his abilities actually say he needs 2 pistols.

But that's fine if you dont understand what I'm saying, maybe someday you will. I do understand they did this to be simple so gearing requires no thought or effort. It's fine when the game is brand new but will because much more obvious when you character becomes even more bland and cookiecutter from every possible aspect.
    Yes i did read, you are upset beause you don't have a choice. Are you reading what I'm typing? There never was a choice, in any game. you always used what had better stats. If you are tryin to say something different you are wording it completly wrong.

All they did here was remove the illusion of choice.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's really a playstyle thing. Jedi Shadows for example are supposed to use double-bladed sabers. It's the entire playstyle. If you want to dual wield sabers you go Sentinel. If you want double-bladed sabers you go Shadow. All of the abilities and talents are geared towards them. I guess I can see it being a drag if you wanted to stealth with two sabers, but I haven't found it to be an issue. I made a Gunslinger specifically because I wanted two blasters, not a rifle.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    We may get some flexibility in this area down the road. It shouldn't be difficult to balance dual-wield sabers against saber staves within the same Jedi advanced class. The biggest limitation is probably just combat animations -- Zealous Strike doesn't have an animation for a saber staff, for instance.

Same applies to the other classes. You can restrict combat stances and forms to a certain weapon type if you want, since that would actually make sense (I can't switch to an offensive pistol stance if I'm holding a sniper rifle).
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Weapons pretty much stay the same, yes, but I did notice that my light saber's hilt is most definitely different than the usual hilt. I'll post a screenshot next time i log on

Yes i did read, you are upset beause you don't have a choice. Are you reading what I'm typing? There never was a choice, in any game. you always used what had better stats. If you are tryin to say something different you are wording it completly wrong.

All they did here was remove the illusion of choice.
    I'm not upset about anything. This was just an observation I made after I replaced my weapon for the 5th time for an identical weapon and realized that once the character reaches a point, unless they alter the game, he will be exactly the same with no variation whatsoever. Yes, it is always about the stats. Higher stats > lower stats. You're saying there's never a choice but that's because they did not include a choice. You can't choose whether to dual weild or use dualsided because the talents to accommidate and the choice itself are not in the game. That is the point. There are no choices. People complain about wow being to simplified but once everyone starts using the exact same specs/rotation there will be no choice in swtor whatsoever as to how your character looks, plays, etc.

But if you like the idea of being a clone of everyone else in every possible aspect more power to you.

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    I do agree, the lack of weapon type choices was a disappointement. My first toon was a BH, I couldnt believe I was only allowed to use pistols. No carbines, no rifles wtf? Its something I hope they open up in the future because I also rolled an IA just to be able to use a rifle.
    ME TOO! And I am really really enjoying the IA too
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    But if you like the idea of being a clone of everyone else in every possible aspect more power to you.
    What other people do or look like has no effect on me. I play the game for my enjoyment. I don't need to be a special snowflake to have fun playing a game. As long as i can get my purple lightsaber sooner or later I'll be happy.

What other people do or look like has no effect on me. I play the game for my enjoyment. I don't need to be a special snowflake to have fun playing a game. As long as i can get my purple lightsaber sooner or later I'll be happy.
    I've been waiting this whole time for you to say "special snowflake". Took you long enough. That's the thing. The "you're just mad because you're not a special snowflake" comment is about as common on an mmo forum as "umad", "L2P", "Cool story bro", etc. You know why it's so common? You know why people start arguements with their gaming resume? Because players want to have choices and a chance to be different. And all leaving out any choices at all from a game does is shorten its life.

So why would having a purple lightsaber make you happy? Purple isn't a stat.

a thread I made a while back, hope this helps on how other types of weapons would fit into lore.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ber-(question)

There may even be a lore issue if they do introduce new weps like light maces, etc. or alien tech.

I mean kid gets alien tech axe, goes to see movies for the first time and there's no axe in the movie so kid gives bad review for example. Not sure Lucas will approve.

I'm not upset about anything. This was just an observation I made after I replaced my weapon for the 5th time for an identical weapon and realized that once the character reaches a point, unless they alter the game, he will be exactly the same with no variation whatsoever. Yes, it is always about the stats. Higher stats > lower stats. You're saying there's never a choice but that's because they did not include a choice. You can't choose whether to dual weild or use dualsided because the talents to accommidate and the choice itself are not in the game. That is the point. There are no choices. People complain about wow being to simplified but once everyone starts using the exact same specs/rotation there will be no choice in swtor whatsoever as to how your character looks, plays, etc.

I don't think that's a fair statement.

The reason for the restriction is to maintain some variety across the classes. If they did give all Jedi access to all the lightsaber styles then they'd all mostly look the same. Using the same attack animations, the same special animations, ect. They'd either have to create 3 versions of every talent/ability to support each style (unlikely) -- or just water it all down and make it entirely cosmetic.

Is it worth sacrificing class identity for a tiny bit more personal variety? For me, I'm happy how it is. Every class feels very different and that makes each far more interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess this topic is about a month or two too early. Need to wait until most of the playerbase is sitting at 50 and realizing they just swapped their most recent lightsaber for yet another identical lightsaber. And players start asking BW why their Merc that can successfully manage to fire 2 blaster pistols simultaniously cannot manage to use a rifle.

Like I said, it's not a matter of needing alot of choices just a matter that there are no choices. Why can a marauder dual weild two lightsabers but not use a dualsided while a assassin can use dualsided but not dual weild singles. It's the only mmo i've ever seen that hands you one specifc weapon at level 10 that you never deviate from.
    Because we all know that because a rogue can DW 1-handed swords, they can easily use 1 2-handed sword, amirite?

You people seem to have completely forgotten the basic rules of RPGs, and MMOs in general. Or, we can play the 'IRL' card; just because someone's an expert with two pistols does NOT mean he's an expert using a rifle. I myself can fire a rifle really well, so-so with one pistol, but two? Pfft, not a chance in hell I'd even hit my target.

There are weapon restrictions for a reason. Always has been, always will be. Why you thought this would be different in TOR is beyond me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been waiting this whole time for you to say "special snowflake". Took you long enough. That's the thing. The "you're just mad because you're not a special snowflake" comment is about as common on an mmo forum as "umad", "L2P", "Cool story bro", etc. You know why it's so common? You know why people start arguements with their gaming resume? Because players want to have choices and a chance to be different. And all leaving out any choices at all from a game does is shorten its life.

So why would having a purple lightsaber make you happy? Purple isn't a stat.
    Because i like the color purple?

We are talking about 1 slot here, only 1 slot. You still have a huge amout of choices in gearing all your companions, not to mention your ship. Why does it matter that you can't change 1 slot? Not to mention this 1 slot is for a weapon that your WHOLE play style is based around. And it's not like you can't customize that weapon. (oh hey more choices) I mean honestly this is one game you can't complain about lack of choices....

Dont know if it has been said but:
    Each saber, regardless of mods has a different Hilt Art. There are many many different hilts (not the mod).
    Also, each model has different sounds. Sound for power up, power down and general slash are different.

Quote Originally Posted by Ildurnest View Post
    Dont know if it has been said but:
    Each saber, regardless of mods has a different Hilt Art. There are many many different hilts (not the mod).
    Also, each model has different sounds. Sound for power up, power down and general slash are different.
    I was unaware of the sound differentiation, I did know that was true with guns

Quote Originally Posted by looopy View Post
    I was unaware of the sound differentiation, I did know that was true with guns
    Indeed, I have been trying to find an Orange Quality LS with a good soundset to set keep as my sandbox saber.