Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Regarding the Jedi Knight's Voice Acting

To sum it up, I've been playing nothing but my agent since I got the game; got to the end of chapter 1 on him and thought I'd take a break, try something else; so I went for the Jedi Knight, intending to go Guardian once I hit 10, for the whole Heavy Armour / Lightsaber thing.

Upon making him and trying him out, I'm getting really irked by his voice acting; the Agent was sly, sarcastic, gave a decent amount of clever responses. Now, the Jedi Knight, so far, my choices are "Holier than thou options" which are alright as far as things go, but when I tried to pick an option that looked like it might be slightly less stuck up and more normal, to give an example, when you see the Rogue Jedi in the Gnarls, one of the options was "Pick a fight with someone equal to you". I thought that'll do; but no. He acts like some sort of Hollywood High School student and comes out with some the cheesiest and most cliché lines I've heard in a while.

My question is, does the Jedi Knight stop acting childishly once you're out of Tython; I don't think I can stand the voice acting if it just continues on with incredibly stupid responses to stuff; especially after playing the Agent. :/

You say you hate the voice acting but ur attacking the script, which is it? coz if u say u hate david hayter i might have to kill u

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saintphoenix View Post
    You say you hate the voice acting but ur attacking the script, which is it? coz if u say u hate david hayter i might have to kill u
    The Script; not the voice actor per-se.

Ok, I'll bit. I will attack both. The script itself is fairly flat. I mean, they may be going for a more stereotypical upstanding Jedi, but most of the responses that are on the light side would make Obi-wan sound like a dock worker. Also, a vast majority of responses that are meant to be antagonists come across as stupidly racist.

As for the acting, in my opinion, it is flat almost across the board, to the point that when some emotion does creep in, I am quite surprised. I don't know what the dark side options sound like, but I hope for those playing a dark Jedi that they have a little more oomph.

Sith side inquistor voice acting is pretty good. I haven't played a warrior yet, so I don't know how good that acting is. The empire side is a lot more snarky/sly/clever. I've got a level 25 consular, and the choices, once you get off tython, are a bit better, but not "omg that was so funny" like the agent is sometimes. The closest I've found, script wise, to the empire side for the republic is the trooper, for snarky/funny comments. I tried the smuggler during one of the beta weekends, but they just came off as whiny.
    SW:TOR: Kina Legacy on Drooga's Pleasure Barge, formerly Senjak Legacy on Master Zhar Lestin.

Isnt it the same thing?

I mean voice acting is people reading the lines from the script. So as he said he hates teh script and the voice acting?

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel the same as the OP, but for the Sith Warrior. Not the best VA of all the classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scripts View Post
    I tried the smuggler during one of the beta weekends, but they just came off as whiny.
    Han Solo bitched a lot before he became the totally awesome hero Harrison Ford made him to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Deleted
    I couldnt care less about the line my Jedi Guardian says, it's fucking SOLID SNAKE

(mgs/david hayter fanboy up in here)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivpiv View Post
    Isnt it the same thing?

I mean voice acting is people reading the lines from the script. So as he said he hates teh script and the voice acting?
    No. Not in the slightest.

An amazing script can be brought down when performed by a terrible actor just like how a very poor script can be improved by a performance by a good actor.

JK voice acting is one of the most unbalanced in responses. If you go for pure light side it sound pretty much decent whole time, if you play Dark Jedy it gets much worse. The thing is that all neutral (not light/dark) choices all sound like you are automaticly on light, than you go dark and your character have some sudden mood swing to total jerk accent and behavior (at least fem JK).

***JK story Spoiler***

just before you craft your first lightsaber you have option to leave your enemy alive, he propose that he will aid you to rule galaxy, I agreed hoping that story is prepared for this option..... Its not, every time I do a Dark choice the character goes total psycho or the dark choices are non-logical, instead of building allies to help you in your quest to dominance and making intrigues you just do random evil things. This may change but the start of story and 1st chapter are not enjoyable for Dark JK in my opinion

***JK story SPoiler End***

Blame the script, not the actor.

Some of the Smuggler's lines have been solid gold, with great delivery... but my Trooper is relatively flat all around. Really, these characters can only be so dynamic... a Jedi is known for patience, it has been ingrained in him, so he's going to be cool and collected even when he's doing something sinister. And someone like the Trooper is not going to have a practiced wit.

Male jedi consulars aren't very good either. (Yes, i know who the voice actor is)

some ppl need to learn teh difference between a script and the voice acting it is NOT the same thing as stated above

How can you hate the voice acting of jedi knights for crying out loud its DAVID HAYTER ( guy who voices snake in metal gear most epic game in history imo ofc ) doing the voice idc how cheesy the lines sound. Plus it's not the voice acting it's the script like previous poster said the voice actor just reads what the writer has written -_-
    Any prize that's worth having usually requires a risk. No matter how big the risk don't ever think twice just do it!

Pick dick options, get dick results. The jedi don't get too aggressive, if you pick something threatening, be prepared to hear a 10th grader being mean.

JK is my main and theres really nothing wrong with the script or the voice acting. He tells plenty of jokes and has lots of sarcastic remarks. You are probably just choosing the wrong ones.

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    I love the Female Bounty Hunter Voice Actor, it fits perfectly to the character, everything else I've tried is kind of lame, maybe it's the combination of comic style characters and voice acting..

Female Sith Inquisitor is the worst, she sounds way too old for the looks of female characters, completely out of place. I'm sure this is some Voice Actor they used in Dragon Age: Origins.
    The female smuggler is awesome, she really comes across well.

Tried both male and female for each class on Republic side, but damn its WOW all over again with the male models looking just wrong half the time.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Only tangentially related, but I love the Sith Warrior's voice acting and writing. He's this sardonic British wiseass who oozes self-confidence, and he lacks the nasal, cartoon-villain quality that the Inquisitor has.

By comparison, the JK is just flat and underwhelming.

I hate the male Agent's voice acting, the accent is just too heavy. Went with the female bc I think its much better.
    I'm going to do some real damage!