Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Try playing Vindictus or Dragonsnest and then compare that to combat in SWTOR O.o ....Im just playing the game because I like the star wars universe

Quote Originally Posted by mitbrandir View Post
    The lag is annoying me in the ground , together with stupid class quests where you have to solo a elite , without you having a propper heal ability , that stuns you for 4 sec when you need 2-3 more hits on him
    Use your trinket!

Deleted
    There is definitely a hard bug at work somewhere. It is not 'fluidity' or combat animations issue.

It is most visible with(but not limited to) the jedi knight class ability Master Strike. Its a long 3-second animation channeled ability with 30 second cooldown so its very visible when this happens: Ability is off-cooldown. You press the key. Your character starts the animation, the channeling bar appears and ticks down like it should. Global cooldown is triggered. But: The ability cooldown is not triggered, and the enemy is not taking any damage.

Everything on the client side works perfectly(it is very fluid, animation works as it should and starts immediately after button press), except the server behaves as if it never received your button press. As a workaround, i got into the habit of hammering the ability button three or four times everytime i want to use it until i see the ability go on cooldown.

Normally i would write it off as a connectivity issue where a packet gets dropped somewhere on the way to the server - except there are abilities that never seem to suffer from this issue, like force leap which i never had fail despite of using it much more often than master strike(and its not because force leap is instant - sundering strike is the second worst offender after master strike and its an instant too).

Yup.. it's actually the only reason I still log on WoW to do bg's. The combat/animations just flow soooooooooooo much better.

Also to the guy that plays a Sniper. God bless, sir. I play Operative and using Cover with the laggy ass ability queueing made me want to stop playing the game. Fortunately once I got Hidden Strike I no longer had a use for Cover.
    Last edited by Niyari; 2012-01-02 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    So I got in on Day 1 of Early Access, played SWTOR a lot, hit 50 (on a Sith Inquisitor Sorcerer), and then stopped playing for a week. I stopped playing, because of the combat — it feels very slow to me, and lacks the fluidity of World of Warcraft's; also, I may just be retarded, but I could swear to God that the Ability Delay is still there. I kind of just powered through this feeling, to get to 50, cause I was like "well, it's just leveling content", but the unresponsiveness, the long animations, and the overall non-fluid feeling just makes me not want to play the game at 50, at all.

I tried to work around this, by making a new Class (a Bounty Hunter Mercenary); but over the past few days, I've just come to the same point. I don't want to play SWTOR at all, because the combat just feels slow and unresponsive. I also tried making a Sith Warrior, but it seems like you have to wait for the animation to connect, before any of your spells actually do damage; this makes me reluctant to play a Tank or MDPS in TOR at all. There are even worse problems with cast time spells, and channeled spells sometimes, though. For example, sometimes the channeling bar will show up, and tick down to zero, but the spell stays off Cooldown, and nothing happens

SWTOR has some other problems as well; but it also has some really cool stuff, outside of combat. Ultimately, though, I'm not sure I can keep paying for it with this combat. I can deal with the combat feeling slower than WoW's combat, I prefer fast-paced, but I can deal nontheless. This is not the case with unresponsive combat, though, it just feels broken

Does anyone else feel the same way?

(sets ability queue from .5 to .0)

Don't see any problem here...
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    Yep, the shitty combat is the one thing that is making me consider unsubbing. Everything else about the game is great, but this one thing is so key to the gameplay experience and is so poorly done that no amount of cut scenes can compensate for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderSheephard View Post
    (sets ability queue from .5 to .0)

Don't see any problem here...
    I've had it set to zero since Beta; it has no impact on activation delay
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

Quote Originally Posted by mitbrandir View Post
    The lag is annoying me in the ground , together with stupid class quests where you have to solo a elite , without you having a propper heal ability , that stuns you for 4 sec when you need 2-3 more hits on him
    Just because its a class quest, doesn't mean you have to solo it. Nice way to complain over something that has no issue what so ever. Grab a friend and hit it?

I found this same issue with rift and SWTOR, although the exact reason why the combat is bulky for each game is different. The issue is that they focus too much on random stuff and not enough on combat.

Quote Originally Posted by orren77 View Post
    There is definitely a hard bug at work somewhere. It is not 'fluidity' or combat animations issue.

It is most visible with(but not limited to) the jedi knight class ability Master Strike. Its a long 3-second animation channeled ability with 30 second cooldown so its very visible when this happens: Ability is off-cooldown. You press the key. Your character starts the animation, the channeling bar appears and ticks down like it should. Global cooldown is triggered. But: The ability cooldown is not triggered, and the enemy is not taking any damage.

Everything on the client side works perfectly(it is very fluid, animation works as it should and starts immediately after button press), except the server behaves as if it never received your button press. As a workaround, i got into the habit of hammering the ability button three or four times everytime i want to use it until i see the ability go on cooldown.
    This is the real issue, that most are complaining about, and is a bug. A lot of others, and others in this thread complain about the gcd and fluidity and think they're related... The gcd has nothing to do with it. My jedi Shadow feels just as responsive and fluid as my warrior or deathknight (ALL have 1.5s GCD and mostly instants). The only difference is there is no auto attack to keep your eyes busy, or false self gratify your button mashing.
    Last edited by openair; 2012-01-02 at 06:56 PM.

Deleted
    Some classes' quests indeed need bit fixing or classes need little buffs. Not every class can solo as well as the mighty sniper.

As sniper i find combat very responsive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Magzilla View Post
    There have only been two MMOs where I was completely satisfied with the combat: EQ1 and WoW. Hopefully GW2 will be the third.

Rift? EQ2? Vanguard? TOR? Shits for the birds
    I'm afraid I have to underline this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    I think you're confusing fluidity, with player collision
    And I think many people who have an issue with SWTOR think that WoW's way of doing it is the only way to do it, because anything else falls outside their comfort zone (actual issues aside, such as abilities not going off at all, etc). It's like someone learning the Foxtrot and complaining that it doesn't feel like the Jive.

you're all just bitching because ToR doesnt have auto attack, thats what makes you think WoW's combat system is "so much more fluid", ffs get used to it, its actually much better than WoW's.

edit: its either that, or you people have no clue how to play the class they're playing. with my assassin im using keyboard binds along with my Naga because i ran out of buttons on the damn thing (it has 17 btw), theres so many abilities to use, and if you time them right, it should be much more fluid than WoW's deceptive auto attacking system that makes you feel like you're doing something.
    Last edited by rigoremortis; 2012-01-02 at 07:05 PM.

Me, had the same problem with Rift, WoW has spoiled me

http://youtu.be/PbFgyeRFbdo
    I wonder what do blind fanbois see in this video?
    Very responsive combat or that nice tree on the background.

I agree, and I think WoW is so popular largely because movement and combat are responsive and unrestrictive, which is something I don't know to be the case in any other MMORPG. It's the most basic element of gameplay, and if that feels clumsy and uneven, a lot of your players will end up leaving.

15+ Year Old Account
    Actually there is an issue about how queue roll-over is being handled among other things. In WoW you can cast and queue up the next spell and both would fire off in sequence. In SW:TOR you have to finish off casting, the setting in the Preferences is just placebo, it changes nothing. Very noticeable as healer. Main reason being how GCD is handled: While GCD is counting down no input is accepted unless you cancel spell to reset cast.

EDIT: Not unmotivated by it though. I have not many games to kill time with so this will do for now!
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by rigoremortis View Post
    you're all just bitching because ToR doesnt have auto attack, thats what makes you think WoW's combat system is "so much more fluid", ffs get used to it, its actually much better than WoW's.

edit: its either that, or you people have no clue how to play the class they're playing. with my assassin im using keyboard binds along with my Naga because i ran out of buttons on the damn thing (it has 17 btw), theres so many abilities to use, and if you time them right, it should be much more fluid than WoW's deceptive auto attacking system that makes you feel like you're doing something.
    I've played every Class at max level, throughout my time in WoW; but I spent the most time on a Mage, and a Priest.

Mages do not use auto attack, except wanding while OOM in the old days

Priests do not use auto attack, except wanding while OOM in the old days, much less is auto attack part of Healing... except wanding while OOM in the old days
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Cetlysm View Post
    http://youtu.be/PbFgyeRFbdo
    I wonder what do blind fanbois see in this video?
    Very responsive combat or that nice tree on the background.
    We realize that a new game always has bugs and don't act like delicate princesses that need a perfect game. A lot of people enjoy the game for what it is right now, and bugs will get fixed. If you nitpick you can find problems in anything.

I'm not saying that the bug isn't annoying, it is, but I'll wait. It's a great game otherwise.