Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Leveling in SWTOR

Are there any tips you can give me here? its so tedious to level, im level 17 and have spent 9 hours played. how is pvp xp like? spamming instances? any way to spice up leveling a bit?

Stop skipping through conversations. Thats all I can say, leveling through quests is the fastest way.

Hmm enjoy the quests!? but if you really don't want to quest i've hear that instance give some nice xp and pvp is just ok. But questing in this game is really fun and fast. You're only 17, till 25 you'll get more interesting skills and talents.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaellen View Post
    Stop skipping through conversations. Thats all I can say, leveling through quests is the fastest way.
    Pretty much this, sure you'll lvl faster if you just space spam but it will feel sooooooooo slow when all you do is grind, pretty much.

It feels more like an RPG game if you listen to the conversations.

sidenote; I'm low 30 and got 48 hours played, so I guess ur on a good way

Quote Originally Posted by Solomodex View Post
    Are there any tips you can give me here? its so tedious to level, im level 17 and have spent 9 hours played. how is pvp xp like? spamming instances? any way to spice up leveling a bit?
    It's supposed to take the average player 200 hours to get to max level so I would say your doing well .

Honestly? You're skipping the conversations and asking us how to spice up leveling? I think you missed the point of this game.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by AeRae View Post
    sidenote; I'm low 30 and got 48 hours played, so I guess ur on a good way
    I am 33, and I have almost 4 days played... then again, I spent a lot of time chatting in guild, exploring and doing space missions over and over...

i dont even know what space missions is But thanks for the replies, ill stop skipping conversations then. maybe it will be more enjoyable.

I found the leveling to get really slow around level 30; and even slower at 40, but I alleviated this somewhat, by skipping pretty much every talking part after level 40

It just feels a lot faster if you don't sit there listening to them
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

Deleted
    Getting out of the WoW mentality that dictates that levelling must be fast and everything until cap's just a filler could help.

Enjoy the story. If that still doesn't help, save yourself some money and leave the game. It's just not for you.

That's my advice.

10+ Year Old Account
    PvP XP is nice. Farming Flashpoints doesn't seem to be all that viable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SarSil View Post
    Getting out of the WoW mentality that dictates that levelling must be fast and everything until cap's just a filler could help.

Enjoy the story. If that still doesn't help, save yourself some money and leave the game. It's just not for you.

That's my advice.
    Pretty much this.
    This game aint for everyone. Im not a Star Wars fan, but i really like how the game works. How the stories are, and how the quests are. This game requires time. And yes, it can be hard to get used to, but its a great game, if you like how it works that is.

10+ Year Old Account
    The space missions tends to give me 10-15k XP the first time, thats quite nice. You should go do them, remember to get the lvl 1 ship upgrades though.
    Hi

Just mix it a little if you found it boring. I reached 50 in 130 hours and did little more than quests, that i found really great and the pace was good. The story is fun (i listened to every conversation), crafting is fun, but you can always PVP, do space missions and flashpoints if you dont want to do quests.

leveling isnt bad in that game sure you can take the conversations off but with them the ame actually feels like an RPG. alot of mmos seem to forget that aspect.
    my friend code...

5241-1925-7760 name toasty

up for battles ...after 10/18/2013

Questing is probably the best way to go. Doing the PvP dailies is easy xp as well, as long as you don't mind travelling to get the quests and whatnot.
    Retired WoW player. Ameteur family man.

it only gets more tedious. this is more like vanilla wow, current wow is 1-64 in 5 hours.

if you dont like this type of leveling your not gonna be able to get used to it
    ''If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.'' Quoted from-

i dont even know what space missions is But thanks for the replies, ill stop skipping conversations then. maybe it will be more enjoyable.
    Yeah try that and if you still don't like it, cancel. I don't mean that to be a troll, but you will absolutely hate the game if you are already bored at level 17. PvP XP is good at low levels if you like to PvP. But this game will get VERY BORING if you try to just PvP.

The story lines are what the game is about, if they bore you, this is not the game for you.
    "Peace is a lie"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    I found the leveling to get really slow around level 30; and even slower at 40, but I alleviated this somewhat, by skipping pretty much every talking part after level 40

It just feels a lot faster if you don't sit there listening to them
    It also feels a lot more like a grind if you do this, I personally break the game up into 2 parts when I'm leveling:

1. I'm out questing and doing the specific missions in an area including certain bonus quests. (I don't like to do the "Kill 50 robots! Kill 40 more!" bonus lines) This usually takes a fair bit of time as there are a few missions in an area at any given time.

2. I come back to the town/rest spot and catch my breath before I go out and kill again. I sit back and listen to everything the quest givers have to say and try and pick the snarkiest replies possible. Repair, sell any junk, and gear up my companions with anything extra I may have found. After a few minutes of non-killing I'm ready to go back out and do more quests.

As long as you don't play the game in a way that is constant killing and never listening to the story you'll be fine, just remember this is a "story MMO", don't cheat yourself out of that experience. And before anyone says my method isn't feasible or is too slow, I was one of the first 40 50s on my server (2nd in my decent sized guild) and I was leveling as a Mercenary Healer the whole way.

---------- Post added 2012-01-03 at 09:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by davesurfer View Post
    Yeah try that and if you still don't like it, cancel. I don't mean that to be a troll, but you will absolutely hate the game if you are already bored at level 17. PvP XP is good at low levels if you like to PvP. But this game will get VERY BORING if you try to just PvP.

The story lines are what the game is about, if they bore you, this is not the game for you.
    This too...if you can't enjoy the story no matter how hard you try I would say just don't bother...this game won't work for you. But I hope you'll enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarocket View Post
    It also feels a lot more like a grind if you do this, I personally break the game up into 2 parts when I'm leveling:

1. I'm out questing and doing the specific missions in an area including certain bonus quests. (I don't like to do the "Kill 50 robots! Kill 40 more!" bonus lines) This usually takes a fair bit of time as there are a few missions in an area at any given time.

2. I come back to the town/rest spot and catch my breath before I go out and kill again. I sit back and listen to everything the quest givers have to say and try and pick the snarkiest replies possible. Repair, sell any junk, and gear up my companions with anything extra I may have found. After a few minutes of non-killing I'm ready to go back out and do more quests.

As long as you don't play the game in a way that is constant killing and never listening to the story you'll be fine, just remember this is a "story MMO", don't cheat yourself out of that experience. And before anyone says my method isn't feasible or is too slow, I was one of the first 40 50s on my server (2nd in my decent sized guild) and I was leveling as a Mercenary Healer the whole way.
    This is a matter of opinion; for a lot of people, staring at the people talking to you feels like a worse grind than just doing the quests
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO