Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Space Missions. Share your opinions.

Let me start with:
    If you play a mmorpg and dont roleplay at all: You are doing it wrong.

A third of star wars universe is about space combat, flying ships on open space fighting against their enemies, with lasers and force shield, with the force guiding their reflexes. You can ignore the whole roleplay part of the game, but thats a big thing for me (and for bioware), and on top of the voice-over quests, space combat makes me feel immersed to the game (for the duration of the missions, at least).

Maybe you are just not a roleplayer at all and cant get the vibe from it, but to each their own. Now to the topic:

Space Combat? Yes, it is there, but how many actually played it intensivelly, its fun, repetitive as sonic 2, but damn its fun. Upgrading your ship makes it insanely stronger (compared to... no upgrades, obviously).
    You go from 20 missiles to 40 just in the first upgrade of your missile launcher, you also upgrade the fire rate of your blasters, shooting twice as many lasers each second.
    You get a defensive shield that absorbs damage, and will recharge itself if you are not using the engine for your blasters.
    You get armor for your ship, absorbing damage making your ship last much longer to direct damage.
    And finally, you get "trinkets", which are abilities that you can use a few times that can greatly turn the battle into your favor (destroying multiple small ship at once? 1-shotting that enemy that would take 5 missiles to take down?).

And you can do space missions while sending your crew to gather materials, the credits you obtain from the mission will pay for their trip. Sometimes you will get ship upgrades from completing the daily space missions, saving you money on upgrading your ship (the first upgrades are about 500-600 credits each, like 5 or 6 pieces, vendors can be found near spaceports).

There is more to space combat than just a rail shooter. We just gotta wait for:
    1) Multiplayer missions.
    2) More missions.
    3) Possibility to visually change our ship.
    4) Possibility to get a different ship.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    Let me start with:
    So if I'm rping as someone who doesn't give a rodent's behind about rping in video games does that count or not?

Deleted
    Often I hear things as "They could have done it so much better" but I think what many people are forgetting is that this an Old Republic game. KOTOR 1 and 2 never had space combat, they had some crappy turret sections, but never space combat. I don't value it as a significant part of the Old Republic era. That being said, I am quite amused by the little space combat they included here and it has a lot of potential going forward. It is a nice mini-game, doing those space combat dailies for a bit of variation is even quite rewarding when it comes to XP and they are done pretty quickly.

Upgrading your ship is pretty nice, though some customization here would have been kind of neat. As it is now you'll pretty much have to get better Grade 1-5 weaponry to do the later space missions but a bit of optional customization (say different weapons or such) would have been a nice thing. Some more maneuverability, maybe.

But anyway, it's a nice thing to do for a little bit of variation but I don't think it should be considered as more than a mini-game.

Deleted
    hey,

i for one enjoy the space missions a lot

i try to do them at least once a day
    they give nice experience the first time aswell as some extra money for little time invested

Not Role Playing is "doing it wrong"?

I don't think so
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

I like the space combat. I was incredibly skeptical about it at first, but after trying it it is actually kinda fun. Something fun to do during downtime.

Deleted
    I'm loving them, so much so that as I wasn't playing so much over the holidays I would log in and do them as dalies. I'm now severely overlevelled for the content and considering skipping all the remaining quests on Tatooine and going straight to Alderaan at lvl 32.

They are short, easy after the first try, and give nice cash rewards. You have to remember that people bitched and moaned about vehicle combat in WoW, and how they felt that the devs spent too much time making them, where they could have done something else. I think that Bioware is testing the water with thise one, seeing how many people will do it, and give feedback before devoting any more resources to it.

I'm certain there will be more missions and gear fro your craft, I really hope there'll be some multiplayer missions. I'm quite happy with the look of my Phantom so not in a hurry to change that.

I like the way the game handles, but think that they are more likely to include a different minigame before they develop space further. My money is on Pazzak finding it's way in first.

Let me start with:

A third of star wars universe is about space combat
    really?..a third?...wow I must be doing it wrong...I do the space missions as a side effort...90% of MY time is spent on playing my character.

One third??...damn....

I like them, played as the mini game they are. Even playing them a few times for the dailies.

Since i also played X-Wing extensively back in those days, i also think space combat could be a LOT better.
    So I'm also a bit sad about the huge potential that went to waste there.

yea... cant agree with your whole post but with regards to space combat i love it.

It's a fun little minigame but to me it makes one thing very clear: how awesome it would be if it was like Freelancer

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Space combat is fine for what it is in TOR, a side game.

The early space missions are fairly easy, once you get to the later missions they can get pretty brutal even with full level 5 ship parts. The enemies have shields and much more hit points. There are strong enemies, and it seems their fire is much more accurate. The one thing that I dislike is when they throw a couple of enemies behind you to shoot the crap out of your ship without you being able to see them or defend against them, if you've had to used your counter-measures already.

Its ok, the first part was to weed out that kind of people. Working as intended.
    Epic reply is epic

10+ Year Old Account
    Swap the existing space missions for X-Wing's flight model. And drop in some Elite-style trading and you'll have a skipful of win!

SW:TOR's space combat is lacking. I want Bioware to sell a headpiece (for Troopers and BHs, sunglasses for Smugglers/IAs, hoods for Jedi/Sith) that puts me in the game world. With that headpiece, I want virtual reality, AND NO BUGS. I should be able to hear and see everything. I should be able to feel the pain when I get shot. I want to actually do it.

/sarcasm

Space combat is alright. I don't love it, I don't hate it. They've said they're working on a different kind of space combat, or adding something more to it, so that'll be interesting.

I like the space combat as it is. Would I like more control over my ship and where it goes? Sure of course I would but I am also happy enough to play it as it is now

Space combat is decent, but that's about it, honestly. It's cool and all, and man do I love having my own ship, but really it's just flying in a pathed direction shooting ships. It gets pretty repetitive and boring after a while, but hell, aren't all dailies?
    There are good people in every corner of the planet. Unfortunately, the Earth is round.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like it for what it is, I'm not going to play it hours upon hours but once in a while I will pop into my ship and do a space mission or two. It's really fun and after completing the last one I can see where they can really make it fun and interesting down the line. If they decide to develop it further, then great I'd be all for that! If they decide to leave it where it is then I could also be fine with it. It serves its purpose as a small side game very well.

after hearing so many times how terrible they were, I have to admit I actually enjoyed them. apart from being a very welcome gameplay diversion, the ship upgrading is actually quite addictive and some of the missions feel big and epic.
    but then again, I'd never buy a game that offers only those space missions, I cant really call them "good", but from time to time, they're fun.
    and so much better than the ones in the KOTOR games, those really were utter crap.

I really enjoy space combat. It is a nice little diversion from the classic leveling system. I hope they add some Rogue Squadron style air to ground attack missions.