Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How well do you know your spec?

So I expect most of you to come into this thread ready to type "Pretty goddamn well, Penguin." But how confident are you? Do you know it like the back of your hand? Could you do it blindfolded?

I'd like to see other people try this and post their results

I've actually raided sans UI a few times when making some guild videos (caused an instant death on halfus, who knew i would get aggro on all the whelps first?)

More impressive is the first person view, that would drive me absolutely insane.
    Cyner#1996

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    So I expect most of you to come into this thread ready to type "Pretty goddamn well, Penguin." But how confident are you? Do you know it like the back of your hand? Could you do it blindfolded?

You know what would be even more impressive? Wrapping your hands in duct tape to form some sort of flipper-esque mitten, then have a friend tape your eyes shut and play like that. Do you know your class that well?

When I think 'knowing your class' I think, proper gearing (how to analyze stat weights, reforge plot to maximize DPS), setting up the right interface tools to display relevant information in an accessible fashion and proper/clever execution of class mechanics to maximize DPS in all situations.

When I think 'skillfully playing your class' I think anticipation of and a quick, reflexive response to changing game conditions.

Neither of these involve turning off your UI.
    Last edited by Jahrastafari; 2012-01-04 at 06:44 PM.

I don't think that has anything to do with knowing your class well. It has more to do with excellent muscle memory between your fingers and keys. It'd still be interesting to see the results though.

That's not fair. I'm a clicker. I know my spec damn well.. but no, I couldn't do it blindfolded.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post

I have too many alts, and I'm not sure what my main is anymore, either a Holy Paladin or a Holy Priest (started as a lock, switched to Holy Priest sometime during ICC, since late 4.2 I have been playing H.Pally more then H.Priest though) either way, trying this would end badly for everyone involved.

I agree with Cyner. the first person view I think would kill me. I play 3rd person max camera distance. I think I started out trying first person view for a bit, once i moved to 3rd person though there is no going back...

I notice you weren't running a damage meter....

:P
    Verily, thou shalt rejoice in the house of the tentacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mearkat View Post
    That's not fair. I'm a clicker. I know my spec damn well.. but no, I couldn't do it blindfolded.
    Then you already know you're gimping your dps by quite a bit. Clicking is bad. No way around it.

Start off binding just one or two keys, practice on the dummy then actual fights. Gradually increase the number of keybinds. Before long you'll wonder why you ever were a clicker in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Aalyy View Post
    Then you already know you're gimping your dps by quite a bit. Clicking is bad. No way around it.

Start off binding just one or two keys, practice on the dummy then actual fights. Gradually increase the number of keybinds. Before long you'll wonder why you ever were a clicker in the first place.
    I actually am I healer, for DPS I use a combination of keys and clicking. For healing I don't think it honestly gimps me.

I have healers toons and it does gimp you. Obviously not as much as if you were fully clicking but still. Doesn't matter though since if you're a healer you could never play without a UI because you have to have a way to see health bars. So it's irrelevant for you. I use Vuhdoo to heal and have all my keys memorized well. The only thing I have to watch is to make sure my mouse is hovered over the correct bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahrastafari View Post
    You know what would be even more impressive? Wrapping your hands in duct tape to form some sort of flipper-esque mitten, then have a friend tape your eyes shut and play like that. Do you know your class that well?

When I think 'knowing your class' I think, proper gearing (how to analyze stat weights, reforge plot to maximize DPS), setting up the right interface tools to display relevant information in an accessible fashion and proper/clever execution of class mechanics to maximize DPS in all situations.

When I think 'skillfully playing your class' I think anticipation of and a quick, reflexive response to changing game conditions.

Neither of these involve turning off your UI.
    You're taking this like 300% too seriously.

And there was pretty much nothing about skill in this, because obviously once combat starts min/maxing your dps goes to shit. I just want to see if people have enough experience with their class to do anything "blindfolded" as opposed to figuring it out with all the information available to you as you go. Reacting to things is never going to go as well for you as having them planned out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll never go first person. Love watching my lil gobby toss out lil ghastlies like an under hand pitch. (By ghastlies I mean the shadowbolts. They look like lil ghastlies to me)

I know my spec extremely well personally, however the no UI challenge would make it impossible for me to demonstrate it as I heal on all my toons...I could cast things sure but it would be really hard to know who to cast on (though I guess I could aoe spam pointlessly like most the derpies in LFR and still do half decent).

Quote Originally Posted by Zulandia View Post
    however the no UI challenge would make it impossible for me to demonstrate it as I heal on all my toons...
    There's a reason this is in the warlock forums T.T

While I admire your effort, that was a painful video to watch in the first person.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankerbellx View Post
    While I admire your effort, that was a painful video to watch in the first person.
    I find videos of WoW boring regardless of the PoV

i also do the same for fun sometimes when i get Xtra-bored

was fun watching anyways
    I'm either too drunk or not drunk enough...

10+ Year Old Account
    Ha I saw a video of someone doing this on their ele shaman. But for them it's ok because they only press one button! I may try this

____________________R.I.P Excessive Gaming____________________

10+ Year Old Account
    What a friend of mine did back in early WotLK (he plays a disc priest) was run some BG's with his UI turned off. He was just running around, looking at people and the situations they were in and targeted them manually by clicking them and healing those that looked like they needed healing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaga View Post
    Mages are balanced. It's just that they aren't balanced for Azeroth.

Deleted
    I think I would actually be able to manage this concerning rotation and survivability.
    My main problem is that I have a few things I normally use by mouseclicking (potions, Nether Ward, Doomguard). That and my dps would suck because I can't see when my procs are up.

Neat idea to try on some farm content though.