Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    So... WoW's basically become the "Java" of MMOs? I wouldn't be proud of that... if I were Blizzard... >_>
    Well I quit it about a year ago, so if there has been a massive overhaul or something, excuse me.
    But WoW is still the most 'succesfull' MMO and it's graphics aren't anything special compared to other MMO's (especially compared to those the OP mentioned).
    For me, and a lot of people, Gameplay > Graphics.
    And, again, this doesn't mean WoW looks bad, but I doubt WoW's succes comes from it's graphics.
    "It's Better To Burn Out than To Fade Away"

Big swords with shiny steel, depicted in bright white light that reflects in armors the size of small SUVs. Smells like the new Final Fantasy games.

I think I'll pass.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still prefer GW2 and Diablo 3. My opinion, feel free to disagree.

I'm interested in both, but to be fair, TERA doesn't do much in the way of innovation beyond their combat system (which is the next step after what Vindictus/the other Nexon game have done) and their combat system is pretty similar to GW2. Lineage Eternal...we don't know much about the game to make any claims yet sadly.

I fail to see how either is any more AAA than any of the games you listed, especially considering the struggles TERA is still dealing with in South Korea and Japan with server merger after server merger and an extremely lukewarm reception in both regions.

10+ Year Old Account
    May I introduce you to real AAA games...
    Sure! Where are they?

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    People have been playing TERA for what seems like years now and the general reception is that its pretty average, and while Lineage graphics look nice NCSoft are terrible :S

I predict that TERA wont be a major MMO title (at least in the west) and Lineage will get blown away by Diablo 3
    To be fair, NCSoft aren't that terrible. Well, in comparison to say Funcom or another flop of a company. People don't realize that while it was F2P, Guild Wars was the second most successful (in regards to unit sales and subs) MMO since WoW was released in EU and North America for several years, if not still. People just love to hate it because it was different and the F2P model was still fresh when GW was released.

TERA, while looks pretty (like EVERY Korean MMO), is still a Korean MMO. There's nothing wrong with them, but they don't generally appeal to western gamers. I've also heard it's very average. I've heard the game has invisible walls, that prevents any sort of open world exploration. The combat system is only fun for about 20 minutes. etc. Granted, I have no personally experience but I'm kind of baffled that it has received the hype it has based on what I've read about it and ESPECIALLY considering that it's not even being received well in Korea itself (moderate reception).

And D3 will destroy Lineage Eternal in western markets. Completely obliterate it. And given the current state of affairs with Korea and D3, it very well could be the exact opposite in Asian markets. Which is fine. Korea designs their games for that market. Blizzard designs their games for a more global market, but definitely cater to the western/european market a little more.

That said. As an online game enthusiast, I'll likely try them all out at some point. But I'm definitely setting my sights on D3 and GW2 for the time being.
    Last edited by skylla05; 2012-01-05 at 06:01 PM.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Korean grinders, no thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    All these games look amazing, have lists of features that sound great and don't synergise, copy gameplay from other successful games, and never release with anything near the polish of a Blizzard game. Just my opinion
    Last edited by Ratyrel; 2012-01-05 at 06:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lineage Eternal does look amazing but the game has two problems. First of all the framerate is horrid in that video, meaning that even on their showcasing system it has issues let alone on most people's PC. Secondly the gameplay looks very lackluster compared to the Diablo franchise. I'm a Diablo fan since the very first game, and an avid ARPG player and as such I'll check it out but a bunch of dudes running down the stairway doing nothing but running to their death isn't really intesting gameplay. Besides it's NCSoft so it'll probably be an insane grindfest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Josmm View Post
    Lineage Eternal

This game was presented at the G-Star 2011 and is the successor of Lineage. From all we know so far it'll be an MMO, but by the first glance of this trailer it doesnt lack new innovations and awesome graphics, compared to Diablo 3.

TERA Online

Already released in Korea and Japan, this game was made for the western market and will hit EU/NA spring 2012. The graphics shown in the GC2011 trailer are all in game (I was there twice and could play it myself). The action MMO based non-target combat style offer great possibilities and the end game wont lack with the addition of the political system, server vs. server fights and so on..

What is your opinion?

I'm pretty disappointed about Diablo 3, SW:TOR and GW2. Compared to this, the 3 western games lack the innovation and graphics - it'll be a hard fight.
    they both look pretty crap lol, i personally cant wait to try diablo 3 and guild wars 2

I have yet to see a good koreans mmorpg, its always some grindy game with shit movement system.

10+ Year Old Account
    I presume Tera will be an amazing mmo..in the east, it'll be the average mmo in the west/rest of the world however. GW2 still seems to be an amazing MMO, though it seems to lack in endgame content (we'll see eventually) and Diablo 3 looks promising and decent
    Howay the lads!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsagget View Post
    I presume Tera will be an amazing mmo..in the east, it'll be the average mmo in the west/rest of the world however. GW2 still seems to be an amazing MMO, though it seems to lack in endgame content (we'll see eventually) and Diablo 3 looks promising and decent
    Its not doing very well in the east because they ran out of money and had to release it early. You used to not even be able to get to max level, I dont know if you can get to max yet either

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    All these games look amazing, have lists of features that sound great and don't synergise, copy gameplay from other successful games, and never release with anything near the polish of a Blizzard game. Just my opinion
    That's not very open-minded. Blizzard takes gameplay ideas from other games too, you know? And I'm not sure how you can say that they aren't polished at release if they haven't been released yet...

Concepts and trailers don't make a game Triple-A. Polish does. Hence why Blizzard copies off of everybody else and then actually makes the ideas work in proper context.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsagget View Post
    GW2 still seems to be an amazing MMO, though it seems to lack in endgame content (we'll see eventually)
    They're called elite dynamic events.

Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    I'm really interested in Tera. Have been following for quite a while...but that political system is putting me off a bit.
    Also, the fact that you can't visit everything (I'm not a big fan of WoW, but just flying around, encountering a lot of stuff you've never seen before was epic) puts me off a bit.

Still, I'd love to try it.
    What do you mean? Like invisible walls everywhere and linear world progression? I'm also quite interested in Tera, and would hate to not be able to explore
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Xebu View Post
    What do you mean? Like invisible walls everywhere and linear world progression? I'm also quite interested in Tera, and would hate to not be able to explore
    Yes, you see that mountain in the distance well you cant climb it there is a invisible wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Xebu View Post
    Your avatar *swoon*. I love Angela Gossow.

And from what I've heard, while the game is pretty open, there are a ton of invisible walls that make proper exploring impractical : /

10+ Year Old Account
    Another beautiful looking Korean MMO that is sure to lure in many with its pretty graphics and lovely character stylings and by that I mean boobs. However, with almost all Korean MMOs they are nothing but boring grind fests with no real end game.

Doubtful TERA will be any different. The only Korean MMO I'd ever really play would be Guild Wars 2 tbh and mainly because it has zero monthly fee.

WTB D3, GW2 cy@
    Tired of ElvUI and its various clones?

Try one of these:

Altz UI
    // RealUI // KaitUI // ls: UI