Duo-ing Instances

anyone else doing this ? its great fun

me and my brother have played mmos together for years (we live a good distance apart irl)

in swtor with its 4 man instance set up and companions we've been able to tackle instances near on level with just the two of us and our companions and its proving fun, somewhat challenging and a great laugh.

because there's just the two of us we use messenger for voice communication which most people should have and be able to make use of.

our class and companion combo is me with a Bounty Hunter Mercenary (playing neutral/light) with Mako as healer and him with a Sith Inquisitor Sorcerer (playing very, very dark...which makes for some funny moments) and Khem Val as tank which are both the starting companions.

both of us off-heal and dps while the companions do their thing and although we invariably wipe on first attempts on a boss its fun figuring out how we are gonna handle things and taking them down.

i should add that we don't do this to be anti-social and do instances with full groups as well its just this has become "our thing" and ofc it holds certain rewards (not least of which is free reign with the looting ).

im looking to possibly specing in directions just to support this playstyle until end game now (when i'll respec more "seriously") and was just wanting to suggest it to people who might be up for it with a close friend or relative and to possibly hear of other folks who are doing the same

have fun.
    Last edited by sleekit; 2012-01-06 at 09:33 PM.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

From what I have heard that works great early on, but gets tough later. Khem Val is a great tank, especially if you keep his gear up-to-date. However, he is also stupid when it comes to standing in the fire, which as you get to 30+ becomes more of an issue in 4-Man content. Not saying it can't be done by watching closely and putting him on passive to move him out, then having him attack again, just saying it gets tougher.

I have 2 friends who are playing a BH - Merc(Healer) and a IA - Operative. IA's companion is also a tank. They duo'ed everything up to about Balmorra, when my tank caught up to them. They said things were doable, but starting to get more difficult, and much better with a "real" tank around. Micro-managing your tank companion, making sure he is getting aggro on multiple targets, no breaking CC and staying out of the fire becomes more full time and you have less time to actually DPS. According to my friend anyway.

My wife and I did this while we leveled up. We also did all the 4 man quests. Some of it can be VERY hard to 2 man, as these companions are absolutely stupid

I run as a tank and she heals (both Inq.) We found using the range companions (Andronikis) was the best
    "Peace is a lie"

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    From what I have heard that works great early on, but gets tough later. Khem Val is a great tank, especially if you keep his gear up-to-date.
    one of the things about our combo is there is no gear crossover between the four of us including the companions which is kinda cool and feeding them good gear
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Quote Originally Posted by sleekit View Post
    one of the things about our combo is there is no gear crossover between the four of us including the companions which is kinda cool and feeding them good gear
    Not sure what level you are, but as posted above the standing in fire was our biggest issue. That's why we went with ranged companions. Also my wife now has Life Grip (sorry WoW term) to pull the guys out of stuff
    "Peace is a lie"

10+ Year Old Account
    Have duoed everything up to wargames (because it's impossible) as a juggernaut tank with my friend as a sorcerer dps without too many problems.

Deleted
    I 2 man all content (quests :P), I could prob 2man some FPs aswell...but I don't see reason for it. I like challenge, but 2manning stuff that just takes 3-4 times the time it would take with 4 people is rather stupid. :P

Deleted
    Later on, you'll encounter some problems because of your AI tank. It is the role, that should definitely be controlled by a player to have success when duoing later on. Unfortunately your ACs lack tank specs...

Still, you should manage the nonheroic fp if one of you goes heal and by gearing and micromanaging Khem (binding attack and passive to keys - if he stands in an ae, use passive to make him move towards you, set to aggressive again when out of the fire; also using his def cds yourself).

I duo all fps with a mate, but he's heal and I tank - it works a lot better, than with random dps^^