A+ Certification

I'm trying to get into the computer repair/tech support field, but it's hard finding stuff without a degree. I'm 24 and have above-average knowledge of computers (can take apart and rebuild a computer, basic troubleshooting for networking and OS issues), but I've come to a halt on my education and am about 3-4 classes short of an associates - I don't have time or money to finish right now.

Lots of jobs asks for certifications, and A+ is a popular and standard one. Any tips on how to prepare for this outside of classes? I found an A+ Certification for Dummies book for $20 and may invest in that, but if there are any free tools online (practice tests, preferably) that anyone knows about, let me know
    Retired WoW player. Ameteur family man.

A+ and network+ certified here. I installed my first video card into a computer when I was 5. If you have been doing computer stuff your whole life just go write the test and pass it. It is piss easy.

Network+ I had to study for but A+ is a joke.

A+ is quite easy if you have worked with computers for quite some time. I have a good amount of certifications (PMP, MCITP, MOS, and a few others, including A+) and if I recall correctly, the A+ certification is pretty basic, not much advance stuff. Then again, after taking the PMP certifcation test, almost every test I take is easy.

Yea the most work with computers I've done is building my own and some basic troubleshooting, nothing more. I looked at practice questions for the A+ and there was a lot of stuff I didn't know, mostly having to do with networking things. The test is like $175 to take, so I don't really want to just try it out and see if I pass, I need to pass the first time :P
    Retired WoW player. Ameteur family man.

Books will fill in the blanks and help you pass the test. I'd probably look for something a bit more comprehensive than a For Dummies book. Check reviews on Amazon for whatever people say is good.

But A+ certs aren't really worth much to most employers these days. It's really only useful if you have a specific employer in mind that specifically asks for it.
    Finishing up your Associates would do far, FAR more towards getting you a job than an A+ would. In general, any kind of degree is much better than a cert.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecwfrk View Post
    Books will fill in the blanks and help you pass the test. I'd probably look for something a bit more comprehensive than a For Dummies book. Check reviews on Amazon for whatever people say is good.

But A+ certs aren't really worth much to most employers these days. It's really only useful if you have a specific employer in mind that specifically asks for it.
    Finishing up your Associates would do far, FAR more towards getting you a job than an A+ would. In general, any kind of degree is much better than a cert.
    not really, it the tech industry certs are the equivalent to a degree, if you want a good example, you can have a PhD in computer science, but unless you have your A+, Net+ and Sec+ you do not qualify for government jobs

an MCSA is often considered the equivalent to a bachelors when hiring

OP if you want a good job in tech, get your associates and get A+, Net+ and Security+, those 4 will open a lot of doors, and can easily get you $60k a year starting

I agree with the above statement, even looking at something as simple as a geek squad app, they ask for any certs.
    Certs show to the interviewer that you have passed a certain technical review, they(interviewer) don't know what classes you took or much technical jargon for that matter.

I dont have the money at the money to have taken the test, but once I graduate next semester that is one of the first things I'm doing.

The books my school used had a cd with practice exams, they look fairly similar to the ones you can find by googling "A+ practice test"
    Last edited by usiris; 2012-01-08 at 07:23 AM.